Holy Rule for June 4

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Larry, prostate biopsy on Monday, also for Rita and her family. She has suffered a relapse in food addicition and is very depressed; some family problems are also causing her pain. Prayers for Don, transmission troubles in his car, and for Tom, Kasey and Gianna. Tom is being guardian angel of our sick guesthouse lawnmower. He's even bringing a back up mower if his tools don't work today! Deo gratias! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. Thanks so much! JL

      The sixth degree of humility
      is that a monk be content
      with the poorest and worst of everything,
      and that in every occupation assigned him
      he consider himself a bad and worthless workman,
      saying with the Prophet,
      "I am brought to nothing and I am without understanding;
      I have become as a beast of burden before You,
      and I am always with You" (Ps:22-23).

      REFLECTION

      OK, first warning. Some people who truly do have low self-esteem have
      to be very, very careful to remember that humility is truth, that ANY false
      and distorted self-image spells trouble. Increasing closeness to God, Who
      is Truth, must bring us to increasing truthfulness about ourselves. That can
      mean adjustments up OR down in our attitude.

      While it may be true that some people have self-esteems
      which are far too low, I think that most people, from my generation onward,
      have "worked through all that" with more than enough success. Relax,
      I think that often we have compensated for any imbalance and then some! With
      ears attuned to such 21st century self-affirmation, it is hard for us to hear
      lines like "worthless workman", "brought to nothing" and "a beast of
      burden before You."

      Understandably, we may listen through our filtered ears and wonder
      how on earth the Psalmist could say such things. Mechanisms to
      explain them away and denial defenses spring right up: " Must have
      been his primitive society, must have been some neurotic notion of
      religion in those days! Boy, that David REALLY needed to work on his
      self-image, so sad in a King, too!"

      I don't think any of those things are true in more than the most
      minimal sense, if that. David COULD say those things with honesty,
      because he was a mystic. Let me hasten to console all concerned with
      that news that he was a very human mystic. Face it, he had the hots
      for Uriah's wife and conveniently arranged Uriah's death in battle
      to "legitimate" things. Nathan the prophet confronted David with the facts
      and the child born of his dalliance with Bathsheba died. Hardly the type
      of thing one would read about St. Therese, the Little Flower!

      Because this terribly human David, in a mystical sense, had "seen"
      God, at least with the eyes of his soul, he could easily make
      truthful remarks like these about himself! Once we see even a bit of
      God, scales fall from our eyes and we can easily see how the Prophet
      could say such things: they are true!

      I am no mystic, but I sure know I am nothing, nothing at ALL compared
      to God. If I have done a good job here and there, make no mistake
      that I can tell you from an inside perspective that successes were
      just that: here and there. Not one of them would (or could!) have ever
      happened without God's grace. Nada. Zilch! The total workman profile
      has a LOT of gaps and stuff undone, deliberately and otherwise. The merit review
      will probably NOT recommend a raise at this time!

      We need the truth of humility because we take ourselves- and the
      falsehoods about ourselves for good or ill- far, far too seriously. Yes, we sometimes
      need to know we really did "OK", but we also need to often remind ourselves
      that we are not so hot as we thought!

      "Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to Your Name give the glory!" Yet another of
      David's pithy assessments of self-worth. We are, of ourselves, less than carbon.
      It is only because of Christ that we carbon kids can truly become the "immortal
      diamond" of which Hopkins wrote!

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2005
        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for a remarkable fellow who has returned to the Church after many years. News of his Confession yesterday was an awesome joy!!! For his continued close walk with the Lord! Prayers, please, for Sister Clare (not our Sr. Mary Clare at Petersham,) who is failing mentally with age, also for Brad, second brain tumor has developed on his brain stem, after an earlier one was removed, prayers for a young boy murdered by his father's girlfriend, and for all his family. Fr. Francis Schoering, for whom we prayed, has gone to God, eternal rest to him and grace's serenity to all who mourn him. Prayers for Dottie, having a heart device implanted on June 9, and for Don, surgery Tuesday for cataract and glaucoma, vision still not cleared, so pray on!
        The brave young man preparing for such a holy death, Chris, has gone to God. Deo gratias! May he have eternal rest and prayers for all his family and friends. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much. And special thanks for all those birthday greetings and prayers! JL

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2006
          +PAX

          Prayers, please, for Walter, stroke, left side paralysis, for all his family and for the doctors treating him and all our prayer folks. Prayers for Whitney, her husband Dale and their unborn baby, Elijah. Whitney is having serious problems (of which she has a past history,) with her placenta in the 29th week. They want to wait 3 or 4 more weeks before delivering Elijah early. Her other child (who also had the same pregnancy complications,) is 4 and just had her tonsils and adenoids out, the added stress of that is piling up on Whitney and prayers for all are most welcome! Prayers for Mary R., first solo concert in many years and excited, but also very nervous. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          that news that he was a very human mystic. Face it, he had a lusty eye
          for Uriah's wife and conveniently arranged Uriah's death in battle
          to "legitimate" things. Nathan the prophet confronted David with the facts
          and the child born of his dalliance with Bathsheba died. Hardly the type
          of thing one would read about St. Therese, the Little Flower!

          Because this terribly human David, in a mystical sense, had "seen"
          God, at least with the eyes of his soul, he could easily make
          truthful remarks like these about himself! Once we see even a bit of
          God, scales begin to fall from our eyes and we can easily see how the Prophet

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2007
            +PAX

            Thanks to all who prayed for me on my birthday.

            Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Brian Magrath, 53, who died suddenly in his sleep, and for all his family and those who mourn him. Special prayers for his wife and their two small adopted children. They are very dear friends of mine from my days in East Boston as a pastoral associate, very much my adopted family. Prayers, please, for them all.

            Prayers of Deo gratias for Al and C.: his interview went very well and things are continuing to unfold. May God's perfect will be done! Prayers for T. and her siblings, their parents were arrested on a serious charge three weeks ago and they have been caught in a dreadful whirl of police and confusion. T is diabetic and had a serious health crisis last semester and is in danger now from all the stress. Prayers for her, her parents and her siblings. Prayers for Aaron, 96, for his happy death and eternal rest, and for his grandson, Ari, and all his family, all who mourn him, also for the happy death and eternal rest of Aaron's wife who died two months before him.

            I mistakenly thought the taxi driver we prayed for a day or so ago had only light injuries when his cab was struck during a police chase. Walid, 45, has died from his injuries and leaves a wife and a four year old son. Prayers for them and all who mourn him, and for his happy death and eternal rest. Prayers for MA, some new hope on the horizon for her back pain treatment. May God guide her doctors and all those who care for all our prayer folks. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

            The sixth degree of humility
            is that a monk be content
            with the poorest and worst of everything,
            and that in every occupation assigned him
            he consider himself a bad and worthless workman,
            saying with the Prophet,
            "I am brought to nothing and I am without understanding;
            I have become as a beast of burden before You,
            and I am always with You" (Ps:22-23).

            REFLECTION

            OK, first warning. Some people who truly do have low self-esteem have
            to be very, very careful to remember that humility is truth, that ANY false
            and distorted self-image spells trouble. Increasing closeness to God, Who
            is Truth, must bring us to increasing truthfulness about ourselves. That can
            mean adjustments up OR down in our attitude.

            While it may be true that some people have self-esteems
            which are far too low, I think that many people, from my generation onward,

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2016

              +PAX

              Thanks for all who sent me prayers and birthday greetings. Facebook, for some reason, would not let folks post on my timeline, so they resorted to private messages. I had a LOT of them and I tried to answer them all. Hope I didn’t miss anyone, forgive me if I did, please. My grateful prayers for all of you and for your dear ones.

              Special prayers for Mary, grieving the loss of Fr. Vern, for whom we prayed. He was her spiritual director and this loss is very hard for her.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Boniface Treanor, OSB, of Newark Abbey, and for all his family and his Community and all who mourn him.

              Prayers for Del, discerning a vocation with the Carthusians.

              Prayers for the recovery of James v. R.’s brother, after his recent surgery.

              Prayers for a  19 year old girl, pregnant and having trouble with the 18 year old father. For peace and a safe place for her, may she have her baby in a place free of such stress, a safe home for her.

              Prayers for Alice, severe back pain.

              Prayers for Maan, on her  SAT test subjects this Saturday.

              Prayers for little Sophia Rafael.,  for recovery from her surgery on June 3.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Anna Maria, who died after a long bout with cancer for Larry, her husband, and for all their family and all who mourn her.

[...]

              because he was saintly.Let me hasten to console all concerned with
              that news that he was also very human. Face it, he had a lusty eye
              for Uriah's wife and conveniently arranged Uriah's death in battle
              to "legitimate" things. Nathan the prophet confronted David with the facts
              and the child born of his dalliance with Bathsheba died.

              Because this terribly human David, in a sense, had "seen"
              God, at least with the eyes of his soul, he could easily make
              truthful remarks like these about himself! Once we see even a bit of
              God, scales begin to fall from our eyes and we can easily see how the Prophet
              could say such things: they are true!

              I sure know I am nothing, nothing at ALL without
              God. If I have done a good job here and there, make no mistake
              that I can tell you from an inside perspective that successes were
              just that: here and there. Not one of them would (or could!) have ever
              happened without God's grace. Nada. Zilch! The total workman profile
              has a LOT of gaps and stuff undone, deliberately and otherwise. The merit
              review will probably NOT recommend a raise at this time!

              We need the truth of humility because we take ourselves- and the
              falsehoods about ourselves - far, far too seriously. Yes, we
              sometimes need to know we really did "OK", but we also need to often
              remind ourselves that we are not so hot as we thought!

              "Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to Your Name give the glory!" Yet another of
              David's pithy assessments of self-worth. We are, of ourselves, less than
              nothing. It is only because of Christ that we can truly become the "immortal
              diamond" of which Hopkins wrote!

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2016

                +PAX

                Prayers for the eternal rest of Ian Robertson, Fr. Dunstan’s Dad, and for Fr. Dunstan and his brother and sister, Jasper and Georgiana, and all their family. Special prayers for them cleaning out and straightening up affairs in the house where their parents lived for around 60 years. There is much to be done. Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of their Mum, Honor, who died only a few months ago. Their parents were married 65 years.

                Continued prayers for Christina, that she not have cancer, and for Carla, her Mom, who is very grateful for our prayers.

                Prayers for the eternal rest of Drew, 26, a veteran with PTSD who took his own life on Memorial Day. He had sought help and been denied, a very tragic death. Many prayers for him and his family and those who mourn him. I think he had two children, too, prayers especially for them.

                Prayers for the eternal rest of Muhammad Ali, 74, former boxing champ, and for all his family and all who mourn him.

                The seventh degree of humility
                is that he consider himself lower and of less account
                than anyone else,
                and this not only in verbal protestation
                but also with the most heartfelt inner conviction,
                humbling himself and saying with the Prophet,
                "But I am a worm and no man,
                the scorn of men and the outcast of the people" (Ps. 21:7).
                "After being exalted, I have been humbled
                and covered with confusion" (Ps. 87:16).
                And again,
                "It is good for me that You have humbled me,
                that I may learn Your commandments" (Ps. 118:71).

                REFLECTION

                So many people get blown away arguing against the line: "I am a worm
                and no man..." that they completely miss a crucially important fact.
                This Psalm has the Suffering Servant,
                Jesus, as its focus. Jesus Himself quoted its opening line from the
                Cross: "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?" There are numerous
                allusions to the crucifixion in this Psalm, casting lots for
                garments, piercing hands and feet and the derision of the crowd, to
                name a few.

                OK, so if we dare to put these wormy terms in the mouth of Christ,
                how come we get upset about saying the same of ourselves? Good
                question! If HE can say it, even metaphorically, we surely should
                have no problem!

                But many seem to have a big problem there, so let's look at the
                matter from a different angle. We absolutely cannot know that others
                are worse than us. It's not possible, because we cannot see into
                their hearts, we cannot know every factor in their guilt or lack
                thereof. We cannot know that they are not better than us.
                God alone can know all those things.

                So, with all this ironclad uncertainty, why would Scripture and the
                Holy Rule ask us to think ourselves less than anyone else? For two
                very important reasons. First, it is the safest position to take.
                Even without full knowledge of ourselves, we have more information
                there than we have anywhere else. Secondly, it is the most profitable
                position for learning and spiritual growth.

                If we think someone is less than ourselves, there is little chance we
                will learn anything from her: we're so busy with patronizing
                condescension that only now and then will the woman's REAL words come
                through to us. On the other hand, if we think everyone has something
                to teach us, knowledge and growth start popping up all over the
                place, in some very unlikely locations! This attitude is part of
                listening, really listening.

                And after all, "Listen" is where our Rule begins!

                _