Holy Rule for May 30

    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2004
      +PAX

      A blessed Pentecost to all! Happy Birthday, Church, Militant, Suffering and Triumphant!! May the Holy Spirit pour abundant graces on us all!

      Prayers, please, for George and Ownie and their kids, all coming to see Sr. Mary Angela today. The guesthouse will ring with children's laughter! Prayers, too, for the vocation of P. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      The second degree of humility
      is that a person love not his own will
      nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
      but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
      "I have come not to do My own will,
      but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
      It is written also,
      "Self-will has its punishment,
      but constraint wins a crown."

      REFLECTION
      [I am delighted that some of you actually know Comet, our Guesthouse Wonder Dog. She is a classic!]

      On some occasions, now that Mary lives with us, I get to look after
      Comet, her dog. I know when I take care of Comet I try to be much more
      careful than I usually am about many things. Comet is Mary's treasure and she
      has trusted me with her. I don't goof off! I take extra care because I know
      how dear she is to Mary.

      See what I'm getting at? Caring for another's pet done right is an
      example of coming not to do one's own will, but the will of one who
      sent us. Monastic life done right would be looking at the whole of
      our world, life and endeavor as pet care for God. Again and again, from the
      greatest things in life to the smallest, He entrusts us with the care
      of the apples of His eyes.

      That extra care that one would take of a pet or, even more so, a
      child one had been asked to watch, is the attitude we should have to
      everything. This is mindfulness in the highest order. This is what
      happens when the will we are obeying is Someone else's, not our own.
      We take extra care with the things of God because they are His, not
      our own.

      Of course, the ultimate truth that this step points to is the fact
      that NOTHING is really our own, everything is God's. We "own" nothing
      in the absolute sense, that is, with the freedom to dispense or waste
      or expend or destroy it with no responsibility at all for the common
      good. Christians "own" things in stewardship for the good of all.

      It may take all of our lives to realize it fully, but we are ALL
      doing pet care for God, all the time, nothing less and nothing more!
      And God, like a pet owner or parent who entrusts dear ones
      to another, loves our carefulness very much and treasures us deeply!

      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2005
        +PAX

        Continued prayers, please, for Abigail, the young mother who was stabbed and paralyzed that we have prayed for. She is gaining a bit more sensation in her fingers and toes, and she did not (Deo gratias!) lose the baby she was carrying. Family continues to pray to Pope John Paul II for a miracle and any so inclined are most welcome to join those prayers.

        I ask prayers for all who sent messages to me about Jan and Cheryl yesterday and for all who prayed. I was able, after taking off names and addresses, to share those messages with Cheryl and they were a comfort to her- and to me. I had, and I know Cheryl did, too, a VERY heightened sense of the supportive, loving community of cyber-space that we have become, that we are all privileged to share. Thanks so much. It was wonderful for me on a day already beautiful liturgically, to further bask in the warmth of our shared connections, made prominent in a way that suffering often brings them to the fore. Truly, we are all one Body of Christ! Deo gratias!!!

        Prayers, please, for all service men and women who died in wars and for their families and all the casualties of war. (It is Memorial Day in the US, a day when we especially remember such folks.) May we extend those prayers to all those we love who have died, too. Prayer is the best grave decoration we can ever give. For our overseas readers, the US custom began after the Civil War, when Confederate women began to decorate the graves of BOTH Southern and Northern victims. It went a long way to healing things and the custom grew into the current holiday long ago.

        Prayers for Denise, who died yesterday of liver cancer, and for her husband, four children and all her friends. Prayers, too, for Bill, who has died, for his wife Judy, daughters Stephanie and Jessica and all their family and friends. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        The second degree of humility
        is that a person love not his own will
        nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
        but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
        "I have come not to do My own will,
        but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
        It is written also,
        "Self-will has its punishment,
        but constraint wins a crown."

        REFLECTION
        [I am delighted that some of you actually know Comet, our Guesthouse Wonder Dog.
        She is SUCH a classic!]

[...]

        How deep is our love for one who cares for someone we love, but
        deeper still, infinitely so, is the love of God in this respect. Ah, the warmth
        of His smile at such times!

        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2006
          +PAX

          Prayers, please, for Bob, surgery today for circulatory blockage in his leg, and for John, prostate cancer treatment. Prayers for their families and for the doctors who treat us and all our prayer folks. Prayers for Jimmy, nearing the end of a long and brave struggle with ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease, for his family and friends, especially Cathy, his wife, Alycia and Jim, his children, Kayla, his granddaughter and Pat, his good friend who asked for him. Siblings and family friends are taking 2 hour shifts in his hospital room so he is never alone. Great love there! Prayers for them all and for Jimmy to serenely slip into a happy death and the eternal rest he so deserves. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          Of course, the ultimate truth is that this step points to the fact

            Message 5 of 6 , May 29, 2016
              +PAX

              Prayers for the eternal rest of all veterans who died in wars on this
              Memorial Day, and for those who suffered and died afterwards at home.
              Prayers too, for all their families and all who mourn them. For all who are
              still serving, especially those in troubled parts of the world. For peace
              and religious tolerance to come and relieve suffering of civilian
              populations.

              Prayers for Kate, whose birthday was yesterday, many more years and graces!
              Ad multos annos!

              Prayers please for the repose of the soul of Abigail Reynolds, a former
              hospital chaplain and MonasticLife member who has died, for her family and
              those who knew her.

              For the happy death of Geoff, diagnosed with terminal cancer and freedom
              from pain in the time left to him, and for all his family and all who will
              mourn him.

              Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias, Br. Bruno made his solemn vows today. May
              God grant him many years!

              Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias, Marina began her Oblate novitiate with
              the Tyburn nuns yesterday. May she persevere in the Lord's service for many
              happy years.

              Prayers for A., who seems to have little motivation to treat her anorexia.
              She has struggled for years. Prayers of healing for her, may God grant her
              strength and motivation and emotional stability.

              Please pray that a loving father and his little girl will be reunited soon.
              Despite him having joint custody and a legal agreement on access his ex-wife
              has blocked his access since last September. This is causing great pain in
              the family. Prayers it can resolved without going to court.

              Lord, help us all as You know and
              will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent,
              praise
              Him! Thanks so much. JL

              We must be on our guard, therefore, against evil desires,
              for death lies close by the gate of pleasure.
              Hence the Scripture gives this command:
              "Go not after your concupiscences" (Eccles. 18:30).

              So therefore,
              since the eyes of the Lord observe the good and the evil (Prov. 15:3)
              and the Lord is always looking down from heaven
              on the children of earth
              "to see if there be anyone who understands and seeks God" (Ps. 13:2),
              and since our deeds are daily,
              day and night,
              reported to the Lord by the Angels assigned to us,
              we must constantly beware, brethren,
              as the Prophet says in the Psalm,
              lest at any time God see us falling into evil ways
              and becoming unprofitable (Ps. 13:3);
              and lest, having spared us for the present
              because in His kindness He awaits our reformation,
              He say to us in the future,
              "These things you did, and I held My peace" (Ps. 49:21).

              REFLECTION

              The theme of God seeking His laborers first expressed in the Prologue
              comes back here, like background hints of melody woven through an
              overture. God SEES us, yes, but He also SEEKS us, seeks those who
              seek Him. If we forget that, God's loving, watchful care over us (He
              assigns angels to us!) is reduced to the lackluster charm of a security
              camera,
              an "Eye in the sky."

              Ever lose somebody in airport? It's a funny sort of panic, because
              both of you know that ultimately, somehow you will connect. Until
              that happens, however, a lot of anxious hunting takes place. Do you
              know the joy when two such people finally find each other? It ain't
              slight! While one says "Thank heavens I found you!" the other is
              saying, "But I was looking for you, too, EVERYWHERE!" There is a
              great common blessing in such moments, one which far transcends the
              anxiety of the search which preceded it.

              That's how it is with God. While we are seeking Him, even BEFORE we
              are seeking Him, He is seeking us. There is so much love in that searching,
              on both parts. The novice is to be examined to see if she truly seeks God.
              But the question is not just for novices. "Quaeremus inventum," said St.
              Augustine: "Let us seek Him Whom we have found." And so it goes. A monastic
              life done right has seeking and finding writ large on every page, from
              beginning to end.

              Angels got a bad press in the Roman Catholic world in the 1960's
              and 70's. It became fashionable to be rather scornful of such
              belief and some skeptics viewed guardian angels as only a slight step
              beyond the fairy godmothers of children's tales. Well, folks, it was
              one time they weren't on the crest of a wave. The signs of the times
              told them that emphatically when a ground swell of popularity arose
              with angels as its focus.

              The angels are
              more than human, but less than divine. They share our status of being
              creatures, but they have powers beyond our ken. No wonder popular
              culture embraced them: they are a very good entry level awareness of
              something beyond, something spiritual. Whatever else they may be,
              they are real. Why waste 'em? Let them help us all they can and let
              us ask for more besides! There may be reservations among some of our
              readers about praying to saints, but Scripture abounds with examples of
              conversations with angels, a comforting assurance for our Protestant
              readers.
              Go for it!

              A couple of years ago, a confessor recommended that I pray to
              my Guardian Angel about a problem. No one had said that to me in years! I
              took his advice, however, and loved the results.

              By the way, the Guardian Angels are the patrons of the American
              Cassinese Congregation. I know some guys who probably would have
              loved to change that during the "bad press" years. Thankfully, no one
              did! Holy Guardian Angels, pray for us!

              Message 6 of 6 , May 29

                +PAX

                Prayers for the eternal rest of  Deb’s Mom, and for all her family and all who mourn her, especially Deb.

                Prayers for Mother Benedicte, OSB, newly elected Abbess of Dzobegan, in Africa, and for her Community. This Abbey belongs to the Subiaco Cassinese Congregation, as we do.

                Prayers for the eternal rest of Jim T., for who we prayed, and for all his family, especially Diana, and for all who mourn him.

                Prayers for Mark, Miguel, and John who will be ordained priests on June 3, at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Richmond, Virginia, and for all their families. May God grant them many fruitful years of ministry in His service. Prayers especially for John, Mark’s Dad, and for all their proud parents.

                Prayers for Kate, making her observership and celebrating her birthday yesterday. Graces galore and many more, ad multos annos! Grant her help to see God’s will and do it.

                Prayers for Martha, her birthday was also yesterday. Graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

                Prayers for Floyd, recovering from a liver transplant.

                Prayers for Lucia, tendonitis pain worsening and spreading in her arm.

                Prayers that Brittany is protected by God from being forced to sign a contract at work that is not to her benefit, prayers that she is not bullied into accepting something bad for her.