Holy Rule for May 30

    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2004

      A blessed Pentecost to all! Happy Birthday, Church, Militant, Suffering and Triumphant!! May the Holy Spirit pour abundant graces on us all!

      Prayers, please, for George and Ownie and their kids, all coming to see Sr. Mary Angela today. The guesthouse will ring with children's laughter! Prayers, too, for the vocation of P. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      The second degree of humility
      is that a person love not his own will
      nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
      but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
      "I have come not to do My own will,
      but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
      It is written also,
      "Self-will has its punishment,
      but constraint wins a crown."

      REFLECTION
      [I am delighted that some of you actually know Comet, our Guesthouse Wonder Dog. She is a classic!]

      On some occasions, now that Mary lives with us, I get to look after
      Comet, her dog. I know when I take care of Comet I try to be much more
      careful than I usually am about many things. Comet is Mary's treasure and she
      has trusted me with her. I don't goof off! I take extra care because I know
      how dear she is to Mary.

      See what I'm getting at? Caring for another's pet done right is an
      example of coming not to do one's own will, but the will of one who
      sent us. Monastic life done right would be looking at the whole of
      our world, life and endeavor as pet care for God. Again and again, from the
      greatest things in life to the smallest, He entrusts us with the care
      of the apples of His eyes.

      That extra care that one would take of a pet or, even more so, a
      child one had been asked to watch, is the attitude we should have to
      everything. This is mindfulness in the highest order. This is what
      happens when the will we are obeying is Someone else's, not our own.
      We take extra care with the things of God because they are His, not
      our own.

      Of course, the ultimate truth that this step points to is the fact
      that NOTHING is really our own, everything is God's. We "own" nothing
      in the absolute sense, that is, with the freedom to dispense or waste
      or expend or destroy it with no responsibility at all for the common
      good. Christians "own" things in stewardship for the good of all.

      It may take all of our lives to realize it fully, but we are ALL
      doing pet care for God, all the time, nothing less and nothing more!
      And God, like a pet owner or parent who entrusts dear ones
      to another, loves our carefulness very much and treasures us deeply!

      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2005

        Continued prayers, please, for Abigail, the young mother who was stabbed and paralyzed that we have prayed for. She is gaining a bit more sensation in her fingers and toes, and she did not (Deo gratias!) lose the baby she was carrying. Family continues to pray to Pope John Paul II for a miracle and any so inclined are most welcome to join those prayers.

        I ask prayers for all who sent messages to me about Jan and Cheryl yesterday and for all who prayed. I was able, after taking off names and addresses, to share those messages with Cheryl and they were a comfort to her- and to me. I had, and I know Cheryl did, too, a VERY heightened sense of the supportive, loving community of cyber-space that we have become, that we are all privileged to share. Thanks so much. It was wonderful for me on a day already beautiful liturgically, to further bask in the warmth of our shared connections, made prominent in a way that suffering often brings them to the fore. Truly, we are all one Body of Christ! Deo gratias!!!

        Prayers, please, for all service men and women who died in wars and for their families and all the casualties of war. (It is Memorial Day in the US, a day when we especially remember such folks.) May we extend those prayers to all those we love who have died, too. Prayer is the best grave decoration we can ever give. For our overseas readers, the US custom began after the Civil War, when Confederate women began to decorate the graves of BOTH Southern and Northern victims. It went a long way to healing things and the custom grew into the current holiday long ago.

        Prayers for Denise, who died yesterday of liver cancer, and for her husband, four children and all her friends. Prayers, too, for Bill, who has died, for his wife Judy, daughters Stephanie and Jessica and all their family and friends. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        The second degree of humility
        is that a person love not his own will
        nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
        but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
        "I have come not to do My own will,
        but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
        It is written also,
        "Self-will has its punishment,
        but constraint wins a crown."

        REFLECTION
        [I am delighted that some of you actually know Comet, our Guesthouse Wonder Dog.
        She is SUCH a classic!]

[...]

        How deep is our love for one who cares for someone we love, but
        deeper still, infinitely so, is the love of God in this respect. Ah, the warmth
        of His smile at such times!

        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2006

          Prayers, please, for Bob, surgery today for circulatory blockage in his leg, and for John, prostate cancer treatment. Prayers for their families and for the doctors who treat us and all our prayer folks. Prayers for Jimmy, nearing the end of a long and brave struggle with ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease, for his family and friends, especially Cathy, his wife, Alycia and Jim, his children, Kayla, his granddaughter and Pat, his good friend who asked for him. Siblings and family friends are taking 2 hour shifts in his hospital room so he is never alone. Great love there! Prayers for them all and for Jimmy to serenely slip into a happy death and the eternal rest he so deserves. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          Of course, the ultimate truth is that this step points to the fact