Holy Rule for May 28

    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2004

      Prayers of thanksgiving for Amy, and for her future & continued well-being, also for B., that she find an increase in regular clients. Prayers for Doug, who relocated to help and be near his elderly Mom, then lost his job. Prayers for his job hunt and for him and his Mom! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much!! JL

      Let a man consider
      that God is always looking at him from heaven,
      that his actions are everywhere visible to the divine eyes
      and are constantly being reported to God by the Angels.
      This is what the Prophet shows us
      when he represents God as ever present within our thoughts,
      in the words "Searcher of minds and hearts is God" (Ps. 7:10)
      and again in the words "The Lord knows the thoughts of men" (Ps.
      93:11).
      Again he says,
      "You have read my thoughts from afar" (Ps. 138:3)
      and "The thoughts of people will confess to You" (Ps. 75:11).

      In order that he may be careful
      about his wrongful thoughts, therefore,
      let the faithful brother say constantly in his heart,
      "Then shall I be spotless before Him,
      if I have kept myself from my iniquity" (Ps. 17:24).

      REFLECTION

      Most of us try to keep our worst secrets and flaws hidden from
      others, it's only natural. Therein lies the problem: it's ONLY
      natural, and we are called to the supernatural. If we all have a
      false self within us that we do see, the one we don't see, which we
      project to others whom we wish to impress, is even more false. We
      LIKE to be liked, that's no secret, but in order to be liked we try
      to make a secret of our seamier sides.

      We cannot fool God at all. Our false self is ashes before Him. If we
      think He sees only what we project, we have a long, long battle ahead
      of us. I hope it is true of all of us that at least some of that
      false self falls away when we are alone with God. The more we learn
      to see ourselves as truthfully and adequately as He sees us, the
      closer we come to genuine humility.

      What the Holy Rule is telling us is that our false self is ashes
      EVERYWHERE, that the only truth, the only self is the one seen by
      God. We cannot see all the truth of that self before death: God is
      infinite and omniscient and we are decidedly not. We must, however,
      strain our eyes to see every bit we can, seeing ever more and more of
      our truth until death calls us home for a complete view. Roman
      Catholic that I am, I'll bet when many get that complete view, they
      are MOST relieved to jump into purgatory for a (hopefully!)quick
      shower before the feast! I know I will be!

      One serious problem with religious life or ministry in the Roman
      Catholic church is that there is a rather generally accepted
      unwritten law that what is presented to the faithful and to the world
      is a false self. My church may give a bit of ardent lip service to
      the concept of wounded healers, but it often does NOT like them They make
      many in power terribly uncomfortable, even more so if the wound is
      even remotely sexual.

      Of course this stance is so wrong that, to my knowledge, no one has
      ever had the guts to put it directly into writing, but the message one is
      expected to convey to the "sheep" is pricelessly clear: "I'm OK and you
      are not...." Even more unfortunate, the real pros at this kind of stuff often present that
      stance with a greater than average level of arrogance. How winning!
      What a neat response to our mandate to gather souls in the net...

      That might actually work sometimes- false things generally do for a while, it's
      Satan's way of fooling us. It might actually reach some truly out of
      touch people, or some who have only a fleeting exposure. It does not
      work, nor does any false thing, in the long run. Some people may be
      helped in spite of our efforts, but to be really effective, we must
      be really true, really transparent. We must stand before others as we
      stand before God if we expect to bear real fruit.

      I am sure that many probably disapprove of my candor in these posts
      about my antibody status and my orientation. Hey, I did say it was a
      rather generally accepted unwritten law, didn't I? I cannot agree
      with those reservations. I think we often dress cowardice and false
      selves as prudence and send them off to the ball as unsullied
      debutantes. Sorry, beloveds, I can't pull that off: people would die
      laughing if I even tried. I also know what candor has done in my own
      ministry. I know that approaching flawed people as flawed myself is
      immeasurably helpful to them and a considerable relief to all
      concerned, as well!

      Over 1,500 years ago, St. Benedict called us all to the humility, to
      the truth that St. Thomas Aquinas defined as: "the agreement of the
      mind with reality." Amen! That was the truth he wished us to present
      to ourselves and to the world, as best we could. The closer we get to
      extinguishing the false self in every arena, the closer we are to
      God. The closer we are to God, the greater good we can accomplish for
      His Body, His people.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 28, 2005

        Prayers, please, for premie baby Izeck. A brain hemorrhage has resulted in some damage that may impair his later development or speech. Prayers of Deo gratias for Cherie, the young girl with a similar problem for whom we prayed. She is showing slow improvement. More thanks to God for Michelle, the young mother with cancer for whom we prayed. She is slowly deteriorating, but her trust in God remains and even grow deeper, as does her family's trust in Him. Ardent prayers for this brave young woman and all her loved ones. Prayers for Jean and Reggie, that God grace them fully to keep their good resolution! Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        about my HIV antibody status and my orientation. Hey, I did say it was a
        rather generally accepted unwritten law of silence, didn't I? By the grace
        of God- and only by His grace- I am a celibate monk. Where is the cause
        for shame or in that condition?

        I cannot agree with those reservations. If the only models we can offer to
        any kind of sinner are tremblingly closeted numbers living in secrecy and
        shame, what sort of well-adjusted sinner would jump at such a deal and return
        prodigally home? It is often our shared past sinfulness that makes our best
        preaching point.

        I think we often dress cowardice and false selves as prudence and
        send them off to the ball as unsullied debutantes. Sorry, beloveds, I
        can't pull that off: people would die laughing if I even tried. The coach
        would be back to pumpkin and mice LONG before midnight!

        I also know what candor has done in my own ministry. I know that
        approaching flawed people as flawed myself is immeasurably helpful
        to them and a considerable relief to all concerned, too! I know what
        a gift it has been to myself, as well, setting me free to feel I am OK and
        at home in a Church that should truly be a home to all.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 28, 2006

          Father Jim, lung cancer, for whom we have prayed, has gone to God. May his death be a happy one and his rest eternal! May all who mourn him be comforted and strengthened. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Juan, 20, who died of cancer, for his parents, Juan and Ana Maria and all who mourn him.

          Prayers for Larry, looking for work and a few interviews coming up this week, prayers for Fr. Brendan, whose fibromyalgia has worsened.

          Prayers of great Deo gratias, joy and thanksgiving for Sr. Anna Grace and Brs. Camillus and Augustine, Companions of St. Luke, OSB, who will profess their first vows on May 31. Ad multos annos, many, many joyful years of God's service! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          ever had the courage to put it directly into writing, but the message one is
[...]

          trot them off to the ball as unsullied debutantes. Sorry, beloveds, I
          can't pull that off: people would die laughing if I even tried. The coach
          would be back to pumpkin and mice LONG before midnight!

          I also know what candor has done in my own apostolate. I know that

          Message 4 of 4 , May 27, 2007

            Prayers, please, for Nicki's grandfather, nearing death and not having practiced his Faith for some time, there is need of great prayer for his happy death and eternal rest. Also prayers for his daughter, Cindi, and for Nicki, as well as Nicki's husband, Dale, having flashbacks from his military duty in Iraq, also for his soldier brother, Daniel, and their mom, Jan. Prayers for the Companions of St. Luke as they gather for their convocation beginning May 28, for safe travel for all and great graces. Prayers of Deo gratias for an annulment granted.

            Prayers, please, for Darin, very critical condition after a drug overdose and for all his family. Should God call him now, may he have a happy death and eternal rest. Prayers for Robert and Ann Marie's grandson, who graduated this weekend as valedictorian of his class, and for his proud grandparents and family. Continued prayers for Terence, he is at home now, with loads of help to aim for quality and quantity of life, but no promise of a cure. Prayers for Jeanne, his daughters and all who love him, too. Prayers for Doug, a crisis brought him to ER, but he is back at home now, prayers for his continued recovery and health. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

            for shame or timid silence in that condition?