Holy Rule for May 26

    Message 1 of 237 , May 26, 2004
      +PAX

      I am SO sorry to be late today. prayers of thanks, however, for Fr. Bede and my community, who provided me with a new modem this afternoon! Please pray for Larry, Michelle and their children, undergoing great trials, and for Edith, whose husband died yesterday, and for his eternal rest. Prayers, too, for a safe journey for Catherine and for Father Gregory, on his way to Ghana. Prayers for Pat, discerning her call. Please pray for vocations to our monastery, as well. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much!! JL

      Holy Scripture, brethren, cries out to us, saying,
      "Everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled,
      and he who humbles himself shall be exalted" (Luke 14:11).
      In saying this it shows us
      that all exaltation is a kind of pride,
      against which the Prophet proves himself to be on guard
      when he says,
      "Lord, my heart is not exalted,
      nor are mine eyes lifted up;
      neither have I walked in great matters,
      nor in wonders above me."
      But how has he acted?
      "Rather have I been of humble mind
      than exalting myself;
      as a weaned child on its mother's breast,
      so You solace my soul" (Ps. 130:1-2).

      Hence, brethren,
      if we wish to reach the very highest point of humility
      and to arrive speedily at that heavenly exaltation
      to which ascent is made through the humility of this present life,
      we must
      by our ascending actions
      erect the ladder Jacob saw in his dream,
      on which Angels appeared to him descending and ascending.
      By that descent and ascent
      we must surely understand nothing else than this,
      that we descend by self-exaltation and ascend by humility.
      And the ladder thus set up is our life in the would,
      which the Lord raises up to heaven if our heart is humbled.
      For we call our body and soul the sides of the ladder,
      and into these sides our divine vocation has inserted
      the different steps of humility and discipline we must climb.

      REFLECTION

      Today we begin St. Benedict's exhaustive treatment of humility.
      Humility and obedience are so closely linked that it is virtually
      impossible to speak of one without adding the other. Since both are
      essential Benedictine virtues, it is easy to say that there is no
      such thing as a holy Benedictine who has not climbed or is not
      climbing this ladder. I have never known a holy monk who was not
      humble, in fact, it was usually their most outstanding trait.

      A lot of this chapter will grate on modern ears. I will be the first
      to admit that some people need assertiveness training. However, in my
      experience, most of us do not. Most of us manage to be assertive on a
      daily- even hourly- basis without much difficulty. Remember, too,
      that modern psychology is a science which, like all science, is
      limited to observable data.

      Hence, it is not surprising that the generalities of psychology deal
      with relations between people and visible, created things. The catch
      here is that the humility St. Benedict speaks of is rooted in
      relationship of humans to God, a sphere in which psychology often
      finds itself woefully out of its element. It can see some things
      amiss, but not all. It lacks the supernatural basis of faith, and
      this impedes it somewhat in this area. Balance, always balance.

      A quickie on the Psalm quote today: "...neither have I walked in
      great matters, nor in matters above me." This is a favorite of
      Brother Patrick Creamer, my mentor. He has learned to do it quite
      well and in just 45 years or so!! Say a special prayer for Patrick:
      he's 89 years young this year.

      People can, alas, get sucked up by power, even in monasteries. There
      is very little difference from the secular workplace in this regard,
      which should point out to us that something is very wrong with the
      picture!

      There is another group, in both monastery and world, that is almost
      equally pathetic: the intriguers who think they are really involved
      with moving and shaking the movers and shakers. Sigh. Both of these
      groups are, let us face it, a sorry lot, surely to be pitied, but
      never to be emulated.

      Hey, what if they gave a power struggle and no one came? That's the
      idea folks! Pay no attention to such things at all, other than a bit
      of heartbreak for the poor losers who have missed the Bridegroom and
      married the Wedding March. No wonder they're frustrated!

      I speak as one who has been all too focused at many times on the
      monastic soap opera, its hand-wringing tempests in teacups. About
      many things, even most, we must learn simply not to care, not to
      trouble ourselves with matters too great, even though we may have to
      call them "great" with an inner, rueful chuckle.

      You will never have peace until you learn to leave all that alone, to
      distrust it for the empty and tragic charade that it truly is. And
      you will never get anywhere if you don't have peace. The road to that
      peace is humility and love, both effective vaccinations against the
      fatal disease of power.

      jeromeleo@... St. Mary's Monastery

      Message 237 of 237 , May 25

        +PAX

        Prayers for the safe release of Fr. Chito and 13 others held hostage by militants in Marawi, Philippines. Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of the police chief there, who was beheaded, and for his family and all who mourn him. Prayers for the conversion and repentance of his killers and all the attackers. Prayers for all those affected in any way and for peace in this troubled region.

        Prayers for our Sr. Christine, whose 20th anniversary of solemn vows was yesterday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

        Sue asked prayers for all who suffer hearing loss.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. John Brioux, OMI, and for his family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Peter D’Alesandre, and for his family and all who mourn him, especially Rachel.

        Lord, help us all as You know
        praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        And the ladder thus set up is our life in the world,
[...]

        this impedes it in this area. Balance, always balance.

        A quickie on the Psalm quote today: "...neither have I walked in
        great matters, nor in matters above me." This would appeal to
        Brother Patrick Creamer, my late mentor. He learned to do it quite
        well and in just 45 years or so!! Say a special prayer for Patrick's
        eternal rest with God.

        I speak as one who has been all too focused at many times on the
        monastic soap opera, its hand-wringing tempests in teacups. About
        many things, even most, we must learn simply not to meddle, not to