Holy Rule for May 22

    Message 1 of 5 , May 22, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Diana, stress-related illness, and for Nancy, auto-immune disease which is keeping her from working, financial crises which her depression & fatigue leave her unable to cope with threaten even her medical care and housing. Megan, 19, for whom we prayed has possible ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease. Her meds are doubled and she may need many more biopsies, plus life-long treatment. Prayers for her and all her family! Prayers for two very special intentions. God knows the details. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      To fulfill God's commandments daily in one's deeds.
      To love chastity.
      To hate no one.
      Not to be jealous, not to harbor envy.
      Not to love contention.
      To beware of haughtiness.
      And to respect the seniors.
      To love the juniors.
      To pray for one's enemies in the love of Christ.
      To make peace with one's adversary before the sun sets.
      And never to despair of God's mercy.
      These, then, are the tools of the spiritual craft.
      If we employ them unceasingly day and night,
      and return them on the Day of Judgment,
      our compensation from the Lord
      will be that wage He has promised:
      "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
      what God has prepared for those who love Him" (1 Cor. 2:9).

      Now the workshop
      in which we shall diligently execute all these tasks
      is the enclosure of the monastery
      and stability in the community.

      REFLECTION

      Employ them ALL? "Unceasingly, day and night,"??? Give me a break!
      You have GOT to be kidding. There are lots of these I couldn't pull
      off if I spent a year working on each one alone- and I do NOT have 72
      years left, especially if some are going to take way longer than a
      year a piece. This is beyond me.

      You bet it is, folks! It's beyond all of us, but He isn't kidding,
      and neither is St. Benedict. Both know something that our egocentric
      eyes can miss- it ain't about us or our strength, it is ALL about our
      weakness and the complete triumph of grace. The effective use of
      these tools is grace and gift. Any successes besides that are nothing
      but clever gymnastics.

      One very quick little thought: even the tools we do manage to
      pull off using are not our own, we are to return them on the Day of
      Judgment!!! Hey, before we fall all over ourselves, patting our own
      backs for this or that, we are doing it all with borrowed tools!
      Humbling thought there!

      The ability to become holy comes from God, from grace. No one at all
      can do it without that. We must cooperate with His grace and mercy
      and gifts. We dare not say we are unable to be holy. Holy is not
      linked to our ability, but to our receptivity to God's grace and His
      mercy and will. He makes up for what is lacking in us, for lacks that
      we could never supply. That's the wonder of all this! God uses our
      weakness to triumph, God uses us to demonstrate His own omnipotence.
      Our frailty becomes His praise. WOOF!

      Message 2 of 5 , May 22, 2005

        Prayers, please, for Sr. Mary Rita, OSF, who died Friday, and for Father Francis, recently retired and now confined by advanced prostate cancer and inoperable brain cancer. Prayers for our Brother Vincent, our new webmaster, a LOT more skilled than me, but still wrestling with FrontPage program for web building. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        ***If there are any FrontPage web geniuses out there who might want to share a phone number with me privately, so that Brother could call you for some help, I'd be most grateful!!***

[...]

        In fact, it is really all about our own wretchedness being lifted up and
        out by the saving act of Jesus Christ. His grace, His help, His salvation,
        these are, you should pardon the phrase, the whole enchilada. Our own
        efforts without Him are nada, zilch, absolute zero. The closer we come
        to see and know Christ, the clearer this fact becomes.

        One very quick little thought: even the tools we do manage to
        pull off using are not our own, we are to return them on the Day of
        Judgment!!! Hey, before we fall all over ourselves, patting our own
        backs for this or that, we are doing it all with borrowed tools!
        Humbling thought there and a further confirmation of the paragraph
        above!

        We need to ask God for His help and grace to become saints, we need
        to ask Him for the loan of those tools of good works from His workshop.
        The ability to become holy comes from God, from grace. No one at all
        can do it without that. We must cooperate with His grace and mercy
        and gifts. He is not stingy with His grace, but we must ask for all we can use!

        Message 3 of 5 , May 22, 2006

          Prayers, please, for Fr. Jim, nearing death from lung cancer, for his happy death and eternal rest and for all who care for him on this last journey. Prayers for Anne, cracked rib after a fall, and for a teacher facing a terrible week in a very tough high school. Prayers for Brianna and Nicholas, having their marriage blessed this weekend, and for Fr. Wilmar, on the third anniversary of his ordination. Deo gratias for him and his grateful Bishop and diocese.

          Prayers for John, severely brain-damaged after his hemorrhage, for his nephew, Harry, and all their family. Prayers, too, for John's son, Jan, on the 8th anniversary of his death, for his happy death and eternal rest and all who mourn him. Prayers for all the health care folks who tend us and those for whom we pray. God guide and reward them! Prayers for one fighting porn addiction, one day at a time and for all those struggling with sexual addictions and temptations. The young woman in ICU for whom we recently prayed has been found to have chicken pox virus, and is now on a respirator. Prayers for her as she remains critically ill.

          Prayers for Abigail Witchalls, the young mother who was stabbed and paralysed for whom we have prayed. She has mobility in her head and neck and some in her arms and hands. Prayers for the wonderful folks who help care for her and for her husband and two young sons. She recently had the joy of attending the diaconate ordination of her brother-in-law, Bruno Witchalls, so Deo gratias and thanks for all that God has given! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          eyes can miss- it ain't about us or our strength, it is ALL about our total
[...]

          Our frailty becomes His praise. Wow!

            Message 5 of 5 , May 21, 2008

              Mary F., second interview for a job she hopes is God's will for her.

              V., hit with an unexpected tax bill (not her own fault,) and now faced with stress and worry about making it financially through the year.

              Des, he had had his second hip replaced and was doing well, getting ready to come home when an outbreak of hepatitis C hit his ward so instead of moving home he moved into isolation ward... prayers too, please , for his worried wife Nancy.