Holy Rule for May 20

    Message 1 of 6 , May 20, 2004
      +PAX

      A blessed Ascension Thursday to all!! Prayers, please, for: Jenn, falsely accused, trial pending, Jeff, paralyzed for many years, facing surgery, and for John, wrestling with sexual addiction. Prayers, too, for an anonymous Benedictine faced with loss of sight from a pituitary gland tumor. Prayers for David, in treatment for an addiction and who has lost his job, and for his family. Continued prayers for Mary, she does have pneumonia and is depressed, and for Margaret, her daughter. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      Not to give way to anger.
      Not to nurse a grudge.
      Not to entertain deceit in one's heart.
      Not to give a false peace.
      Not to forsake charity.
      Not to swear, for fear of perjuring oneself.
      To utter truth from heart and mouth.
      Not to return evil for evil.
      To do no wrong to anyone, and to bear patiently wrongs done to
      oneself.
      To love one's enemies.
      Not to curse those who curse us, but rather to bless them.
      To bear persecution for justice' sake.
      Not to be proud.
      Not addicted to wine.
      Not a great eater.
      Not drowsy.
      Not lazy.
      Not a grumbler.
      Not a detractor.
      To put one's hope in God.
      To attribute to God, and not to self, whatever good one sees in
      oneself.
      But to recognize always that the evil is one's own doing, and to
      impute it to oneself.

      REFLECTION

      These Instruments of Good Works are an excellent compendium and
      summary of Christianity itself. The very order in which they are
      listed seems to be less than accidental: the first and greatest
      commandment that Jesus spoke of, to love God with one's whole being,
      is first, followed by His second commandment of love of neighbor.
      Selections from the 10 commandments follow that. Hence, it would seem
      to be no accident that the exhortations to avoid perjury and
      to "utter truth from heart and mouth" immediately follow one that
      bids us never "to forsake charity."

      Jesus tells us: "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life." St. John
      tells us that "God is Love." There is no way to safely dissociate
      these things from one another. One cannot leave out truth and be left
      (forgive this phrase,) with 2/3 of God. No, truth is His essence, as
      is love. Leave out one of these and you have nothing, you are left
      with a false god, one far short of the perfection we acknowledge and
      worship.

      Christian life is communal, period. Search the Scriptures if you will
      for any indication that a Christian can find God alone, but your
      efforts will be in vain. Zilch, nada, nunca, never! Benedictine life,
      in cloister or world, is an even finer focusing on that necessity of
      community. Community is built on trust. Its levels vary
      commensurately to how safe we feel with another person and those
      levels often vary according to our past experience!

      God is Truth, so it is little wonder that offending truth offends
      God. The secondary reason that deceit and falsity are so terribly
      wrong is that they destroy trust and make community either less
      possible or totally impossible.

      When I taught in an inner city school, many of our children would
      simply lie as a first resort, not a last. It was rather a "Give it a
      shot! Hey, it might fly..." attitude. This was not my impression
      alone, but all of the faculty's. It was sad, but we had to accept the
      fact that one could not safely trust most of our children most of the
      time. One could usually dig out the truth one on one, alone, but one
      didn't always have the time or privacy to do so. That made it very
      hard to build any kind of community in an ultimate sense. We loved
      our kids like crazy, but we had to be sadly aware that there was
      sometimes a more than average manipulation of truth.

      That's one thing among children, whom one is trying to lead forth, to
      form. Among adults, it is usually flat out fatal to community as soon
      as noticed. We certainly need to forgive and we certainly need to be
      innocent as doves, but we are not asked to be fools. There is no
      command that bids us hold our second hand firmly on a hot stove while
      apologizing with the one first burned. Jesus knew very well what
      lying would do to our hearts, how it would impair them. That's why we
      are asked to never do that to one another.

      Trust and community, love and truth, life and the way, they are
      entwined in the heart of God, that heart to which we all hope to go.
      We need all of those things for our journey.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 19, 2005
        +PAX

        Had to send this out the night before because I am leaving for Boston VERY early tomorrow for a 9:20 am appointment. Say a prayer that I make it through Boston's infamous rush hour on time and safely, please. Hence, any prayer requests from tonight will have to go on Saturday's post.

        Prayers, please for Max, first birthday this week, and for Ed, on crutches after knee surgery and his pickup truck has been stolen,
        also for Jan, awaiting kidney biopsy results and possibly having to go off her psychiatric meds, for Barb and for Jan's brother, also struggling with illness. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        Message 3 of 6 , May 20, 2006
          +PAX

          Prayers, please, for Ray, severe fluid retention of unknown origin, for his wife, Sharon, and all his family. His cousin is praying to Pope John Paul II for him. Prayers, too, for the happy death of Michael, 14, who has gone to God. His organs were donated and his Mom and family particularly need prayers in this time of grief. Prayers, too, for the happy death of his Dad, lost to suicide last year, may God's mercy welcome and enfold them both and may they accept His embrace. Prayers for J, having a difficult time just now, and for Angela and Kalvin, marital problems, he has asked for a divorce. Prayers for Clara, elderly, suffered two falls, striking her head in one of them and now confused and hallucinating, for her worried son and all her family. prayers for all those who treat us medically, God guide them! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          (forgive this phrase,) with 2/3 of God. No, truth is of His essence, as
          is love. Leave out one of these and you have nothing, you are left
          with a false god, one far short of the perfection we acknowledge and
          worship.

          Christian life is communal, period. Search the Scriptures if you will
          for any indication that a Christian can find God alone, but your
          efforts will be in vain. Our religion is not a solo act! Benedictine life,
          in cloister or world, is an even finer focusing on that necessity of
          community. Community, however, is built on trust. Its levels vary
          commensurately with the levels of safety we feel with another person
          and those levels often vary according to our past experience!

          God is Truth, so it is little wonder that offending truth offends
          God. The secondary reason that deceit and falsity are so terribly
          wrong is that they destroy trust and make community either less
          possible or totally impossible.

          When I taught in grammar school, many of our children would
          simply lie as a first resort, not a last. It was rather an attitude of
          "Hey, give it a shot! It might fly..." This was not my impression
          alone, but all of the faculty's. It was sad, but we had to accept the
          fact that one could not safely trust many of our children most of the
          time. One could usually dig out the truth one on one, alone, but one
          didn't always have the time or privacy to do so. That made it very
          hard to build any kind of community in an ultimate sense. We loved
          our kids like crazy, but we had to be sadly aware that there was
          sometimes a more than average manipulation of truth.

          That's one thing among children, whom one is trying to lead forth, to
          form. Among adults, it is often flat out fatal to community as soon
          as noticed. We certainly need to forgive and we certainly need to be
          innocent as doves, but we are not asked to be fools. There is no
          command that bids us hold our second hand firmly on a hot stove while
          apologizing with the one first burned. Jesus knew very well what
          lying would do to our hearts, how it would impair them. That's why we
          are asked to never do that to one another.

          Trust and community, love and truth, life and the way, these are

          Message 4 of 6 , May 19, 2007
            +PAX

            Prayers for Terence, Jeanne, and Terence's daughters, Marianna & Brennan. He has been battling cancer for 2 1/2 years and his health is beginning to seriously decline. Prayers for Terence and for all who love him, for a happy death and peace in God's will and especially that he be fortified with all the Sacraments of the Church.

            Prayers, please, for John, Joe and Matt, for a safe and pleasant trip to Canada, also for Katrina, their Mom, and their three brothers staying home. Prayers for Cindy, debilitating pain from a bulging disc and displaced sacral nerve has incapacitated her, waiting for neurology consult and pain clinic appointment.

            Prayers for Dianne, newly diagnosed with breast cancer, awaiting treatment options, also for her daughter, Michele, who has many health issues. Prayers for Mike, closed chest heart surgery on Monday, and for Genny, recurrent anxiety attacks. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

            Message 5 of 6 , May 19, 2008
              +PAX

              Huge Deo gratias: the woman we prayed for in a very messy court trial of her husband for abuse has won her case and he was prosecuted, a great blessing for her and her children. The country in which she is living does not make it easy to prosecute such cases.

              Prayers for Br. Dunstan of Pluscarden, and Br. Dunstan of Christ in the Desert on their feastday.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 19, 2016
                +PAX

                Prayers for the 66 people who went down on the Egyptian plane in the
                Mediterranean, prayers for their eternal rest, as there seems to be no
                survivors. Prayers, too for all their families and all who mourn them.

                Prayers for the eternal rest of Bryan, in his 30's, he was struck by
                lightning while trying to save someone from high water in Texas, and for his
                wife and three small children, for all his family, especially his uncle,
                Ray, and for all who mourn him.

                Prayers for Jeanneen, bone cancer, having radiation, and for her five
                children, the youngest is just 1 year old.

                Prayers for Joshua, trouble with one manager at work.

                Prayers for Jo, having a brain scan.

                Prayers for William, in ICU with low vital signs.

                Continued prayers for little Joey, still low vital signs without a known
                cause, also a tumor on his pituitary gland. Prayers, too, for his Mom and
                family.

                Prayers for Fr. James, sexual abuse allegations, and for his victims and
                their families, if the allegations are true.

                Prayers for a parish group resisting closure by occupying their Church for
                twelve years. They have now lost at both Rome and the US Supreme Court.
                Prayers that they will stay with the Church, as there has been some talk of
                an "independent" Catholic community without the Archdiocese. Prayers that
                doesn't happen.

[...]

                God. Another reason that deceit and falsity are so terribly
                wrong is that they destroy trust and make community either less
                possible or totally impossible.

                When I taught in grammar school, some of our children would
                simply lie as a first resort, not a last. It was rather an attitude of
                "Hey, give it a shot! It might fly..." This was not my impression
                alone, but all of the faculty's. It was sad, but we had to accept the
                fact that one could not safely trust some of our children.
                One could usually dig out the truth one on one, alone, but one
                didn't always have the time or privacy to do so. That made it very
                hard to build a community based on trust. We loved
                our kids like crazy, but we had to be sadly aware that there was
                sometimes more than an average manipulation of truth.