Holy Rule for May 15

    Message 1 of 7 , May 15, 2004
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Cathy and Todd. Cathy is pregnant and has an ovarian cyst which threatens the life of their baby. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      The Abbess should always remember what she is
      and what she is called,
      and should know that to whom more is committed,
      from her more is required (Luke 12:48).
      Let her understand also
      what a difficult and arduous task she has undertaken:
      ruling souls and adapting herself to a variety of characters.
      One she must coax, another scold, another persuade,
      according to each one's character and understanding.
      Thus she must adjust and adapt herself to all
      in such a way that she may not only suffer no loss
      in the flock committed to her care,
      but may even rejoice in the increase of a good flock.

      REFLECTION

      We have seen a lot of things that lessen the culpability of parents,
      abbots, those in charge. St. Benedict, however, is the relentless fan
      of balance, so here comes a couple of zingers that cannot be
      overlooked. In its purest form, Christian authority is a precious
      stone, indeed, but the gold in which that stone is set is
      responsibility. Because the abbess has the ultimate authority to make
      decisions alone, she ultimately has the responsibility, too. Try to
      shirk that and everyone suffers.

      Delegation does not end that responsibility. Give one man or woman
      that much power and the buck really does stop there. Hard saying, but
      St. Benedict cites Jesus Himself as remarking that more is required
      of those to whom so much has been committed. There may be elements
      that qualify and reduce that expectation of more, but there is no way
      to remove it altogether.

      Tucked in the folds of this portion is another warning. The abbot or
      parent must recall that they have undertaken a difficult and arduous
      task. One can wish to be an abbot or parent for utterly wrong
      reasons. Grace can overcome these, God often lets us do the right
      thing for the wrong reason, but if the parent or abbot does not later
      cooperate with the grace, trouble ensues.

      Jesus washed feet, telling us He was giving us an example and
      mandate. (Why do you think the ceremony of foot washing got
      named "Mandatum"?) I think it's a safe bet that these days, when feet
      are most generally cleaned in tubs or showers, Jesus would be
      cleaning toilets. It just strikes me as what would be most like Him.
      Mothers and fathers can tell you that their authority requires them
      to clean a good deal more than just toilets! Parents and nurses who
      are faced with some of the most disgusting stuff to clean up can be
      absolutely certain that their hands are the hands of Christ in that
      moment.

      Wouldn't it be a better world if such loving humility was required of
      all authority? If Jesus could do it as God, what lesser official
      dares quibble with His standards?

      Message 2 of 7 , May 15, 2005
        +PAX

        A blessed Solemnity of Pentecost to all and a rousing Happy Birthday to the Church!! May the grace of the Holy Spirit fill us all!!

        So many have written saying they are praying for Fr. Maurus that I may have missed thanking them: if I did, please accept thanks from all our communities. He is still missing and there seems to be very little hope he will be found alive after nearly three days. Please keep him in prayer, however, that he be found in any event. It would be so tragic if he had died somewhere and his body were not found, and hard on the monks, too, to lose their last surviving founder that way.

        Prayers, too, for Michael and all on the AIDS walk in NY. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        named "Mandatum"? That's how we got the term "Maundy Thursday".)

        Message 3 of 7 , May 15, 2006
          +PAX

          A mistaken Abbot, mea culpa! I wrote that the Abbot of Elmore Abbey had a mild stroke, it was actually the Abbot of Alton Abbey, Abbot Giles. I picked the wrong Anglican Abbey in the Benedictine yearbook.... But God knew for whom we prayed, I just didn't want folks to start worrying about the wrong Abbot.

          Prayers for Stephanie, for her happy death and eternal rest, for her family and all who mourn her, especially her sister. Prayers for vocations to all our monasteries. Lord, hep us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

          The Abbess should always remember what she is
          and what she is called,
          and should know that to whom more is committed,
          from her more is required (Luke 12:48).
          Let her understand also
          what a difficult and arduous task she has undertaken:
          ruling souls and adapting herself to a variety of characters.
          One she must coax, another scold, another persuade,
          according to each one's character and understanding.
          Thus she must adjust and adapt herself to all
          in such a way that she may not only suffer no loss
          in the flock committed to her care,
          but may even rejoice in the increase of a good flock.

          REFLECTION

          We have seen a lot of things that lessen the culpability of parents,
          abbots, and those in charge. St. Benedict, however, is the relentless fan
          of balance, so here come a couple of zingers that cannot be
[...]

          "Mandatum"? That's where we got the English term "Maundy Thursday".)

            Message 5 of 7 , May 14, 2008
              +PAX

              Deo gratias, the young man whose dissertation we prayed for has completed it in near miraculous time, now prayers for the defense of his dissertation, probably sometime in autumn.

              Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following and for all who love them and all who take care of them:

              1 newborn - less than 2 pounds - 3 months early - hanging on to life by a thread
              1 newborn - stillborn - for it's parents and extended family
              pastor of a Baptist Church - he and 13 year old son feared killed in plane crash - people are searching
              Kathy who just found out she has
              breast cancer.
              a family who lost their son in a tragic accident this past weekend.
              Paschal, special intention
              S., panic attacks
              Barb, a mother with a degenerative disease called dystonia.

              Andrea, having to make some very hard decisions regarding her job and needs all the guidance she can get. Please pray that God will reveal His Will to her and that she will follow Him without reservation.
              Nancy has some restrictions due to a stroke and heart attack, and her husband, John, has MS.

              Message 6 of 7 , May 14, 2016

                +PAX

                Prayers for Abbot Caedmon, who has resigned, and for his Community, Portsmouth Abbey, Rhode Island.

                Prayers for Josephine, making her Final Oblation today. May she have many happy years as an Oblate.

                Prayers for Edward B., special intention.

                Prayers for Subin and his brother Amin, a seminarian.

                Prayers for Terry, important job interview with a large company on Monday, at 10 AM.

                Prayers for N., whose personal issues are interfering with his elderly mother receiving proper care.

                Prayers for the repose of the soul of Elizabeth, who has died at 33, leaving a 5 month old baby. The witness of the brutal murder of her parents a number of years ago by her mentally ill brother, her mental and physical health was never the same after this tragedy. And prayers of course for the welfare her infant and husband, and the rest of the extended family affected by this tragic nightmare.

                Fr. Fred, for whom we have prayed, has been told his cancer is terminal and  untreatable. Palliative care and pain control are all that can be done. He has maybe 6 months. Please pray that his ecclesiastical situation be regularized soon and for his happy death..

                Prayers for Veronica, having hip replacement surgery on Monday. She had polio when she was young and a curved spine, so the surgeon might face some challenges.  Prayers for their guidance and Veronica's recovery.

[...]

                reasons. Grace can overcome these, but if the parent or abbot does not later

                Message 7 of 7 , May 14

                  +PAX

                  Prayers for the eternal rest of Elizabeth M., in her 50’s, and for Chris, her husband, who is dying of leukemia, their children, grandchildren and all their family, especially Elizabeth’s parents. Elizabeth and her brother, Alan, are oldest friends of our Fr. Dunstan, they have been friends for 45 years, so many prayers for Fr. Dunstan, too, this is a hard loss for him.

                  Deo gratias and prayers for the eternal rest of Doreen, for whom we prayed. She died fortified by the Sacraments of the Church and the Apostolic Pardon. Prayers for her family, and for all who mourn her, especially DH, for whom her loss was very hard.

                  Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, Michael, the cantor with cancer for whom we prayed, is now in remission and pain-free, the cancer has not spread. He still has some other health issues, so continued healing prayers, please.

                  Prayers for E., celebrating 25 years of sobriety in AA, and for the woman whose 5th step she heard. (That is like a general confession that folks in AA make, pray for guidance for them both.)

                  Prayers for the eternal rest of Amalia, 2, who died suddenly of a heart attack while playing. Her autopsy revealed tumor on her heart no one had known about. Now her twin brother and other siblings are being examined to make sure they do not have the same sort of tumor. Very hard on the family, ardent prayers for all, please.

[...]

                  Jesus still washes feet with our hands today. Mothers and fathers can tell
                  you that their authority requires them to clean a good deal more than just
                  feet! Parents and nurses who are faced with some of the most disgusting