Holy Rule for May 10

    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2004

      Deo gratias and prayers of thanks for Joy Roderick, who was invested as our newest Oblate novice yesterday, and for her husband Dick and their children. Prayers, also, for Tom and Casey Grimaldi and their lovely baby, Gianna Marie. Tom made his first visit to explore Oblation with us and all of these lovely folks spent Mother's Day (Casey's first, and Joy and Dick's 18th anniversary!) together with us. It was a wonderful, wonderful weekend!

      Prayers, please, for the repose of the soul of Br. Clarence Richard, OSB, of St. Leo Abbey, who died this weekend, and for his Oblate friends, especially Patty, who loved him so. Prayers, too, for my beloved mentor, Br. Patrick, 89. Much of what I put in these reflections I learned from him. Patrick is hospitalized with fluid on his lungs. Please remember Vi in prayers. Xrays on her liver, lungs and a breast mass are looking bad and she is going for more tests. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace! God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      An Abbess who is worthy to be over a monastery
      should always remember what she is called,
      and live up to the name of Superior.
      For she is believed to hold the place of Christ in the monastery,
      being called by a name of His,
      which is taken from the words of the Apostle:
      "You have received a Spirit of adoption ...,
      by virtue of which we cry, 'Abba -- Father'" (Rom. 8:15)!

      Therefore the Abbess ought not to teach or ordain or command
      anything which is against the Lord's precepts;
      on the contrary,
      her commands and her teaching
      should be a leaven of divine justice
      kneaded into the minds of her disciples.

      REFLECTION

      It will no doubt come as a great relief to other cranky types like
      me to note that the leaven gently kneaded into the minds of certain
      disciples often seems to have a downright under whelming effect. A
      hallmark of us curmudgeonly types is impatience: we do not suffer
      fools gladly, the miracle is that we endure them at all. Most of all,
      we want those fools FIXED, right now, or yesterday at the latest! The
      tragedy of this is that, in assuming we can recognize fools so
      terribly well, we completely miss the fool at work in ourselves.

      God uses human means to accomplish His will, as my favorite
      professor, Dr. Jean Ronan, so often said. Ah, but the abbacy scores
      doubly on this maxim. A very human abbot is elected by a very human
      community. Most often, abbots are elected to counteract each other.
      The human community gets tired of the very human tendency of an abbot
      to stress one thing above others. Hence, tight reins are often
      replaced with loose ones and vice versa.

      It is also worthy of note that, within about three years, roughly the same
      number of people will be sorely complaining about either extreme
      or the lack thereof! Abbot Fidelis of St. Leo used to say that the first three
      years of abbacy are like Holy Week for Christ: they begin with "Hosanna!",
      then there is silence, and the third year it's "Crucify him!" There's
      a lot of truth to that rueful chuckle...

      Much that will be said of the abbot in the Holy Rule requires
      tremendous faith, from both the superior and the monastics. The lofty
      things said require grace to bring them fruition and grace is also
      necessary to see those fruits. This all boils down to a LOT of faith
      and trust on the part of all.

      Those human means which God uses are often quite firmly addicted
      to extremes. The extremes then vex a majority to the opposite extreme.
      (I know this is the Marxist dialectic and I know it is not always true, but it does
      have a kernel of application.) Usually, sometime after we are all so fatigued with
      polarization that we have briefly stopped watching, a median virtue
      ensues!

      And what about that leaven that I couldn't notice having much effect?
      Well, neither I nor anyone else knows, save the person and God. Some
      die, some leave before the effect is seen. Leaven works. It may work
      slowly, it may work in a variety of ways, but all leaven does
      something sooner or later! Faith and trust in God's Divine Mercy
      require that we have a LOT of patience with bread cast on waters in
      tremendous hope!

        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2006

          Prayers, please, for Kaye, mid-80's, who has broken her hip and is having it surgically repaired today, for her son, John, and all her children and family, as well as for the doctors who treat her and all those we pray for. May God guide their hearts and hands!
          Prayers for Anthony, a new apartment and venturing into single parenting, many new starts for him. Prayers for Stan and his wife, especially her severely painful back disability. Continued prayers for a happy death with the Sacraments for Linda, also for Fr. Paul and for Fr. Hildebrand and his Mom and family. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          terribly well, we completely miss the fool at work in ourselves, to say
          nothing of the Gospel injunction against calling others fools.

          God uses human means to accomplish His will, as my favorite
          professor, Dr. Jean Ronan, so often said. Ah, but the abbacy scores
          doubly on this maxim. A very human abbot is elected by a very human
          community. Quite often, abbots are elected to counteract each other.
[...]

          with bread cast on waters in tremendous hope! It is our vocation to scatter such
          bread, not necessarily to see its results. God judges our efforts, not our results.
          Often an apparent failure turns to triumphal joy and salvation in the very last
          instants of a life, when the workings are known to God and the souls alone.