Holy Rule for May 1

    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2004

      A very blessed feastday to Sister Lany Jo, may St. Joseph the Worker make her rest more than she does!!
      Prayers for Sister Julian, OSB, who will profess her solemn vows here this morning. Deo gratias!
      Prayers for Ann Marie, seeking insurance coverage for her rehab. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      I often feel a bit bad at doing re-runs- I have been through the whole Rule more than three times- but I never tire of re-running this one. I think it is one of my all-time favorites!! I love you all- whoever you are! JL

      May 1, August 31, December 31
      Chapter 73: On the Fact That the Full Observance of Justice Is Not
      Established in This Rule

      Now we have written this Rule
      in order that by its observance in monasteries
      we may show that we have attained some degree of virtue
      and the rudiments of the religious life.

      But for those who would hasten to the perfection of that life
      there are the teaching of the holy Fathers,
      the observance of which leads to the height of perfection.
      For what page or what utterance
      of the divinely inspired books of the Old and New Testaments
      is not a most unerring rule for human life?
      Or what book of the holy Catholic Fathers
      does not loudly proclaim
      how we may come by a straight course to our Creator?
      Then the Conferences and the Institutes
      and the Lives of the Fathers,
      as also the Rule of our holy Father Basil --
      what else are they but tools of virtue
      for right-living and obedient monks?
      But for us who are lazy and ill-living and negligent
      they are a source of shame and confusion.

      Whoever you are, therefore,
      who are hastening to the heavenly homeland,
      fulfil with the help of Christ
      this minimum Rule which we have written for beginners;
      and then at length under God's protection
      you will attain to the loftier heights of doctrine and virtue
      which we have mentioned above.

      REFLECTION

      How great must our God be! I have never known anyone who kept all of
      the Holy Rule perfectly, but I have known many that I thought were
      great saints, very observant monastics. St. Benedict is clearly
      telling us that God is even more- infinitely more!- than we may attain by
      observing this beginners' Rule.

      God is so vast and beyond us, we are always taking the tumbling
      first steps of toddlers towards Him, but He is always holding on and
      beaming with the pride an love of a parent guiding those steps.
      Our Holy Rule is filled with awesome things, yet it is only
      the "rudiments" of the spiritual life! Ours is the "minimum" Rule,
      the least Rule for rank beginners! Nothing but basics here... But ah,
      the loftier heights to which those basics can lead!

      "Whoever you are, therefore, who are hastening to the heavenly
      homeland..." That "whoever" is the true object of all this heartfelt
      tenderness of Saint Benedict , the one for whom he wrote! He only
      made one qualifier, that of "hastening to the heavenly homeland." It
      seems that some of our decisions about who matters and who does not
      have employed a somewhat more restrictive standard than that of our
      holy Father Benedict... and to our peril.

      "Whoever you are..." I don't care who you are or how much I disagree
      with you, whether I nearly hate your positions or love them blindly,
      it is you I am called to love, to honor to respect, to cherish as a
      fellow monastic traveler. You.

      "Whoever you are..." I surely don't care whether you're Catholic or
      not, in fact I am relieved and delighted that many of you on board
      are not! I surely don't care if you are not exactly the same sort of
      Catholic as I am, it doesn't matter to me. You do. You have to,
      because this is the Holy Rule I have embraced, that we all have.

      In the United States, where, through much of our history, Catholics
      and Jews shared a roughly equal amount of contempt, great camaraderie
      could flourish between the two and still quite often does. Having
      said that, it has always amused me that many Jews I know get along
      MUCH better with Catholics than they do with Jews who disagree with
      them! How like ourselves!

      When disagreement happens within our family, we hurt more, it is more
      important to us. The differing opinion of a stranger on the subway
      would hardly matter at all! Maybe the fact that we CAN get hurt and
      angry is a good sign, maybe it means we are at least beginning to
      love, but it is HOW we get hurt or angry that we have to examine
      very, very closely.

      The important thing is not opinion or observance or concepts or
      tempests in teacups. The important thing is you. Whoever you are.
      Every time I fail that, I have to get up, apologize and start over. Maybe
      not right from square one each time, but again each time. If I ever stop
      doing those things, I have stopped being a Benedictine.

      Whoever you are, but it's not just me that has to embrace that. You
      do, too. We all do. We ourselves are the only ones we can insist upon
      reforming, however, the only ones we can make change. That might be
      good to keep in mind, whoever you are.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2005

        Prayers, please, for my beloved workaholic, Sr. Lany Jo, on her feastday. May St. Joseph the Worker guide her to work only as much as God wants her to and to rest to the same level! Prayers for Rosa, surgery soon and her job is being eliminated in June,. so for her work situation, too. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Carol W., whose shoulder replacement went well and is now doing rehab and physical therapy. Prayers for the repose of the soul of Fr. Shelton Pollen, who has died. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        fulfill with the help of Christ

        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2006

          Prayers, please, for my beloved workaholic, Sr. Lany Jo, on her feastday. May St. Joseph the Worker guide her to work only as much as God wants her to and to rest according to the same standard!

          Prayers for Sr. Mary Frances, whose Dad died in March, now her Mom has suffered two strokes, prayers for them both and all their family. Prayers for a safe trip home for Fr. Bede. Prayers for Jean, lung condition of uncertain cause that is not improving. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Betsy, who is doing very well, strong in faith, since she lost her husband, Pete. We prayed for both of them recently. Prayers for C., applications at several schools and seeking only the job God wants her to have.

          Prayers for Kaitlin, a hard-working college student. He car was burglarized and all her semester notes and research in her backpack were stolen- and it is finals week. May all be smoothed over according to God's will. Prayers for one seriously ill with multiple medical problems and alcohol addiction, given only 8 months to live if serious treatment is not pursued, also for her heartbroken husband, trying so hard to convince her to help herself and recover. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          telling us that God is ever more- infinitely more!- than we may attain by
          observing this beginners' Rule.

          God is so vast and beyond us, we are always taking the tumbling
          first steps of toddlers towards Him, but He is always holding on and
          beaming with the pride and love of a parent guiding those steps.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30 6:33 PM

            Prayers for Sr. Lany Jo, on her feastday: blessings and graces abounding and
            may St. Joseph the Worker make sure she gets her rest. Balance, always
            balance!!

            Barb, with leukemia, whom we've been praying for over the past few years,
            has gone to God. Her family took her to hospice Friday when it just became too
            hard for her parents to take care of her at home. She passed away Saturday
            evening with her family around her. She'd had a number of strokes and lost
            what little vision she had left, and was hoping for a speedy departure. Prayers
            for her happy death, eternal rest and for her family and all who mourn her.
            Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Terry, 40, died in his sleep
            while on a fishing trip with his Dad, prayers for his wife, Regina, his Dad
            and all their family. What an unexpected shock to them all.

            Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias fro Christian, thought perhaps to be
            autistic. He said "Mama" clearly and is trying to count to ten, both huge
            milestones for this baby. Continued prayers for him and his parents and grandparents.
            Prayers for Jennifer, 27, an innocent bystander injured when a fight broke
            out and someone threw a bottle, which hit her in the face, cutting her and
            knocking out her front teeth, and for her worried parents. Prayers for a tense
            marriage situation, lots of game-laying going on with awful results and
            choices. Prayers for two folks both struggling to keep chaste. Many, I feel sure,
            will know how tough those battles can be. Lord, help us all as You know and
[...]

            _jeromeleo@..._
            ZiXL5v5Q)
            Petersham, MA