Holy Rule for Apr. 29

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2004
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the repose of my Mom, Louise, she would have been 86 today. Prayers of rejoicing and Deo gratias for John and Ann, completing 25 years of marriage! Prayers, too, for Marilyn, who suffered a stroke at an unusually young age, and for Fr. Jeff, her brother. Alex, for whom we prayed (strep, mono,) was also found to have hepatitis, but he is slowly doing better. Pray on!
      God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      April 29, August 29, December 29
      Chapter 71: That the Brethren Be Obedient to One Another

      Not only is the boon of obedience
      to be shown by all to the Abbot,
      but the brethren are also to obey one another,
      knowing that by this road of obedience they are going to God.
      Giving priority, therefore, to the commands of the Abbot
      and of the Superior appointed by him
      (to which we allow no private orders to be preferred),
      for the rest
      let all the juniors obey their seniors
      with all charity and solicitude.
      But if anyone is found contentious,
      let him be corrected.

      And if any brother,
      for however small a cause,
      is corrected in any way by the Abbot or by any of his Superiors,
      or if he faintly perceives
      that the mind of any Superior is angered or moved against him,
      however little,
      let him at once, without delay,
      prostrate himself on the ground at his feet
      and lie there making satisfaction
      until that emotion is quieted with a blessing.
      But if anyone should disdain to do this,
      let him undergo corporal punishment
      or, if he is stubborn, let him be expelled from the monastery.

      REFLECTION

      My friend, Fr. Damian of St. Leo Abbey, once said: "If it gives
      him so much pleasure and causes me so little pain, why not?" Great
      philosophy! It is very easy to let people have their way in
      reasonable requests and it goes a very long way to strengthen peace,
      security and unity.

      Think of how people are described who answer any request with
      cheerful action: "She's someone you can count on." Well, we all ought
      to be able to count on one another. If you are a Benedictine in a
      situation where people are not dependable in this fashion, try being
      a counter witness. Let people count on you, then, when their hearts
      soften a bit, tell 'em what Father Damian said. If even one person
      changes, the world is better.

      Not all obedience is equal, even this chapter points that out.
      Obeying the abbot is one thing, obeying each other is quite another.
      But there is a connection to ALL obedience. Sometimes obeying a co-
      worker is a lot easier than obeying the boss, yet these small steps
      of compliance also strengthen us. Obeying each other can be a back
      door way into some real growth in obedience. The key to obedience is
      learning to control our own will. Any good effort in that direction
      will yield results.

      Want some really deep theological perspective? Obeying each other
      simply makes us nicer people. Become that person who always tries
      to oblige others, it isn't that hard to learn! As a Southern nurse I used to
      work with once said: "Anybody can be a skunk at a garden party if they
      want to, but why bother?" She and Father Damian are both right: it is easy
      to let others live.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2007
          +PAX

          Prayers, please, for Louise, my Mom, on her birthday. Prayers for her
          eternal rest and happy death. She would have been 89 today. Prayers for the speedy
          recovery of Monastic Life lists' Peg, who had an emergency appendectomy on
          Wednesday, home now but still sore. Thanks be to God they got the appendix in
          time!

          Prayers, please, for C. and R., both experiencing faith difficulties.
          Prayers, too, for Fred, Mary and Kate, all fallen away from the practice of their
          Faith. Prayers for Donna, badly needing to find the right job for summer and,
          if God wills, a different job in the same field in which she has been
          working, as her previous job was not a good fit. Prayers, please, for Matt and his
          children, custody troubles. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will
[...]

          learning to control, even forsake our own will. Any good effort in that

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 28, 2016

            +PAX

            Prayers, please, for our Sr. Maria Isabel, as she makes her First Profession of monastic vows today. May God grant her perseverance and many happy, fruitful years in His service here.

            Prayers for Anne and John, celebrating their 38th anniversary, ad multos annos.

            Prayers for the eternal rest of my Mom, Louise, (+1973) on her birthday.

            Prayers for E. R., that  the biopsy done on April  27 will be normal.

            Update on Loren, for whom we prayed: he is better medicated, has been cleaned up and sedated, and a family member has been located and is coming to see him, despite her own serious illness. But he still needs prayers for a happy death, without question.

            Prayers  for Miriam M. She's in critical condition in the hospital with a broken neck & now can't swallow food. Miriam also has Alzheimer's Disease. If she forgets her neck is broken & moves it, she'll be paralyzed.  If the Lord decides to take her, pray for the grace of a happy death. Please also pray for her daughter. She lost her best friend this year. If her mother dies, too, she will be in great need of God's consolation.

            Please pray for the Oblate chapter of St. Philip the Apostle in Bakersfield, CA. Their annual Pentecost Retreat at St. Andrew's Abbey in Valyermo will be coming up shortly, and some members, including Ethel, who asked prayers, will be making their final oblation this year.  Certain members especially need prayers due to various health issues, in particular breast cancer.

            Please pray for healing for  Angee’s Mom, Teresa, she developed kidney problems because of diabetes, she has retinopathy,  and her legs are swollen and her heart beat is fast today. Prayers for spiritual and physical healing.

            Prayers for  Malsawmi, yesterday she had surgery on her head, that she recovers soon and also for God's healing physically and spiritually.

            Prayers for all Christians undergoing persecution in Iraq and Syria, and for those who have been driven out as refugees. Prayers, too, that their persecutors will be converted.

[...]

            security and unity. (Say a prayer for Fr. Damian’s eternal rest, he

            died in 2015, nearly 97 years old.)

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 28

              +PAX

              Prayers for the safety of Pope Francis and all during his trip to Egypt.

              Prayers for our Sr. Maria Isabel, on the first anniversary of her profession, may she persevere in God’s will and have many happy years in His service. Ad multos annos!

              Prayers for the eternal rest of my Mom, Louise, on her birthday.

              Prayers for the health of Diane, respiratory problems, a biopsy and problems with air quality where she is living.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Consolacion, for whom we prayed, and for her family and all who mourn her.

              Prayers for our Br. Luke, doing well in his novitiate, prayers that he and all of us will persevere in God’s call.

              Prayers for Michael and Rita, on their 36th wedding anniversary, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

              Prayers for Anne and John, celebrating their 39th wedding anniversary, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

              Healing prayers and graces for Carie, she has cancer in both her lungs and in her nodes.

              Prayers for Laura, as she works to resolve marital and financial problems.

              Healing prayers for Fr. John V., about 50 years old. He has been suffering with Fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Recently he had his knees replaced and needs a new hip as well. Just this week his doctors discovered a spot on his lung that they believe is cancer.

              Prayers for Amy, that her morning sickness during pregnancy will lift and for resolution of awful gas pains. Please pray that she will gain weight and continue to eat well for the twins, which she is trying to do.

              Prayers for Farrell, diabetic and having extensive back surgery on May 8. Prayers, too, for his wife, Chris, may God support them both.