Holy Rule for Apr. 28

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28 6:22 AM

      Deo gratias! Prayers of thanks for Frank, his angiogram was very good news: no surgery necessary. Prayers, too, for Elena, terminal cancer, given 6 months, and for Gary, who asked prayers for her. Prayers for Frances, sonogram for a breast lump on Thursday and for a church grief support group, that God will bring new members forward. Please pray for the vocations of Nathan, Don and Chris. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      April 28, August 28, December 28
      Chapter 70: That No One Venture to Punish at Random

      Every occasion of presumption
      shall be avoided in the monastery,
      and we decree that no one be allowed
      to excommunicate or to strike any of her sisters
      unless the Abbess has given her the authority.
      Those who offend in this matter
      shall be rebuked in the presence of all,
      that the rest may have fear.

      But children up to 15 years of age
      shall be carefully controlled and watched by all,
      yet this too with all moderation and discretion.
      All, therefore, who presume
      without the Abbess' instructions
      to punish those above that age
      or who lose their temper with them,
      shall undergo the discipline of the Rule;
      for it is written,
      "Do not to another what you would not want done to yourself" (Tobias
      4:16).

      REFLECTION

      Ever work in a place where there was such chaos that you always had
      to be protecting yourself from just about everybody, where you never
      knew from which quarter doom might swoop down without warning. Trust
      me, it ain't much fun. Been there, done that! St. Benedict wisely saw
      that healthy people cannot live that way- it makes them sick- and
      sick people cannot either, it makes them sicker in a big hurry!

      Our communities, our families, and our own behavior at work or school
      should never buy into such lunacy. One advantage of a central
      authority is that it takes the heat, or ought to take it! To leave
      those we have under our care at the mercy of each other, be they
      siblings or monastics or employees, is a terrible abdication of
      responsibility.

      The other telling thing here is the proscription against losing one's
      temper. Hey, I know it happens, and I often even know how. Heck, it
      even happens to me. But our communities are to be founded on peace.
      When disagreement comes or wrong is done, our first resort must
      NEVER be the overkill of the heaviest possible artillery. Much less than
      that is effective in most cases and giving more than is necessary just
      destroys our inner peace. That, my friends, is something we should
      never allow things around us to destroy.

      Far from the "mutually assured destruction" tactic of the nuclear days,
      we should always and everywhere espouse gentleness and polite restraint.
      Our disagreements and corrections should be marked with mercy, even to
      those who fail mercy themselves. (There is no shortage of such people and
      no need to duplicate services there!) So much of charity is genuine courtesy
      and respect, qualities which are sadly easy to fail. We must be mindful, ever mindful!

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28 6:03 AM

          A huge Deo gratias for Peter, for whom we prayed. His scan and tests showed no signs of multiple myeloma (Kahler's disease,) recurrence. God is so good! Deo gratias for Joyce and her cat, Jesse, no liver problems for him, but he still needs prayers for some other medical things, and Joyce asks prayers for an upcoming biopsy for herself. Anita asks prayers of Deo gratias for a very successful meeting at her school, which she says went 1,000 times better than expected!

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Maria, who has died from cancer, and for her family and all who mourn her. Prayers for the parents of Victor, who died only four months apart, for their happy deaths and eternal rest, and for Victor, his wife, Anita and their children, Amanda, Krista and Sara. Victor has no siblings and these losses weigh heavily on him and the whole family. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          temper. Hey, I know it happens, and I often even know how. It surely
          has happened to me, alas. But our communities are to be founded on peace.

          When disagreement comes or wrong is done, our first resort must
          NEVER be the overkill of the heaviest possible artillery. Much less than
          that is effective in most cases and giving more than is necessary just
          destroys our inner peace. That, my friends, is something we should
          never allow things around us to destroy.

          Two other important things are to be borne in mind. The other person may
          honestly have no clue that they have offended or done anything wrong. It
          may be in our own wrong-headed perceptions. Also, the silent treatment,
          the cold shoulder freeze out are demeaning and not terribly mature ways to
          deal with conflict, especially if the person receiving such nonsense is expected
          to either know or guess what she has done wrong. Such petulant behaviors
          are beneath humanity itself, much less Christianity and terribly beneath monastic
          life.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 27 5:40 PM

            Prayers, please, for Sylvia, graduating with a degree in psychology, and
            needs prayers to find a job, also for her Mom, Jin. Prayers for Ann's health and
            for her pilgrimage to be filled with graces. Prayers, please, for Sarah, a
            college student, who died this week; for Divine Mercy and her salvation. She
            had been very depressed and the circumstances of her death are troubling.
            Prayers, too, for her family and especially her younger siblings.

            Little Lily, for whom we have prayed, her first birthday is today and she is
            in serious kidney impairment difficulties, continued prayers, please, for
            this brave child. Prayers for a Taize retreat for youth in Montreal, especially
            for Cheryl's son on that retreat, and for Cheryl and all those she serves as
            a social worker. Prayers for Tania, kidney dialysis, waiting for a
            transplant. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy

[...]

            may be in our own wrong-headed perceptions. Also, the silent treatment or

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 27 6:35 AM

              Prayers for the spiritual, mental and phsyical well-being of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who take care of them:

              Someone who is on his way to Europe to be with his cousin who is dying of cancer, and for the cousin's happy death and eternal rest and for all who will mourn him.

              Kee-Soo, 57, who has been ill for many years and now is in hospital with serious kidney troubles. Prayers, too, for his wife and children.

              Mary F., that God give her the job He wants fo her, interview coming up soon.

              Paul, panic and depression, and for his wife and Mom.

              Colleen, social worker woried about violence from clients at her workplace.

              Peter who was recently engaged is having conflict with his ex-fiancee and they are going to court. Peter is now having a break down.....

              Father Mark, he has the arduous job of cleaning up a dysfunctional parish ,very messy ...

              Chantel who has been diagnosed with a brain tumor, family very worried.

              Nadia and all her family. She makes her First Communion next week.

              Deo gratias, Michael, for whom we prayed when he disappeared has contacted friends. Hopefully things will resolve according to God's will.