Holy Rule for Apr. 27

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2004

      Continued prayers, please, for Megan and her family. Doctors still are unsure of her problem after ovarian surgery. Prayers, too, for Carolyn, breast cancer, and for Robb, who committed suicide. Crystal, 24, mother of a toddler, dropped dead suddenly of unknown causes. Prayers for her and all her family, especially her child. Prayers for Frank, angiogram today, with possible stent, and for his wife, Elizabeth. Continued prayers, too, for Anne Marie and Jim. She is still recovering in the hospital. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      April 27, August 27, December 27
      Chapter 69: That the Monks Presume Not to Defend One Another

      Care must be taken that no monk presume on any ground
      to defend another monk in the monastery,
      or as it were to take him under his protection,
      even though they be united by some tie of blood-relationship.
      Let not the monks dare to do this in any way whatsoever,
      because it may give rise to most serious scandals.
      But if anyone breaks this rule,
      let him be severely punished.

      REFLECTION

      We are all supposed to bear one another's burdens. That should be
      more than enough help for anyone, if we actually keep that principle.

      A big problem with becoming the protector of another, self-appointed
      or otherwise, is that it destroys one's peace needlessly. When I was
      a novice, there was one other novice I really did not want to lose.
      He was not the brightest bulb on the tree and I went out of my way to
      protect him from himself. In time, he came to resent this and I was
      so busy worrying about covering or preventing his foibles all the
      time that I spent little time focusing on my own novitiate. Of
      course, he left. He was supposed to leave. I, however, could not see
      that at the time.

      This isn't just about monasteries, it's about any human group. Taking
      someone under our wing can result in all sorts of false assumptions.
      It can fool us into thinking we can really control events more than
      we can. It can lead us, a la Mother Hen, to seek to control the one
      under wing in very unnecessary and unhealthy ways. Its most common
      error is also one of its most dangerous ones: it leads us to think in
      terms of "us-and-them." There is no "them" in a healthy monastery,
      only an "us".

      As usual, what the Holy Rule insists we avoid is an extreme. This
      chapter is NOT saying we should not look out for one another, just
      that no one should presume that the job is hers alone. Good families
      protect all their members, but it is a corporate activity, something
      in which all participate. Destroy that balance and the others will
      notice quickly. It upsets the inner peace, both of the individual and
      the group.

      Part of any monastic's struggle, in cloister or in the world, is the
      painful facing up to ourselves, that confrontation with our own
      flaws. This difficult self-knowledge is essential to the monastic
      way. Trying to protect someone from this process is counter to the
      very reason they came. It not only harms them, it harms us, by
      keeping us so busy with another's affairs that we can avoid looking
      within at our own failings.

      Merton once told his junior monk students that there is an
      existential place of loneliness in every monk that no one can touch,
      and that this is the way it's supposed to be, that no one should try
      to reach it. That's where the struggle goes on, that's where there is
      only God and the self. That's the arena in which the action happens.
      Every person, every employee, every spouse and child has a similar
      place: it is the place of potential learning and growth. Our deep
      respect for one another must stand away from that space. Becoming
      self-appointed guardians of another violates that space.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 27, 2006

          Prayers, please, for Tony, who did a very generous and kind thing for someone. May God reward him with many blessings. Prayers for Katherine, who had to put to sleep her beloved dog of over 14 years. All our pet lovers will be able to relate to how terribly saddened she feels. Prayers for Zachary and Abby, preparing for their First Communions next month and for their proud parents and families. Prayers for vocations to all our monasteries, please. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          A further problem is that God wills or permits things for a person's good
          that may seem awful to us. Whatever befalls us, God can and does use
          to our ultimate salvation, our greatest good. When our own limited and
          false view of things decides to protect another from such workings as are
          truly of God, we have placed ourselves in a downright horrible position.
          What galling nerve on our part to assume we know better than God, that
          it is our "providence" and not His that ought to triumph.

          As usual, what the Holy Rule insists we avoid is an extreme. This
          chapter is NOT saying we should not look out for one another, just
          that no one should presume that the job is hers or his alone. Good

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 26, 2007

            Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for John and Anne, celebrating their 29th
            wedding anniversary this week and both being commissioned as Eucharistic
            ministers on the happy day. Prayers for their ministry of bringing the
            Eucharistic Lord to those who could not otherwise receive Him. Prayers of thanks and
            Deo gratias, too, for a religious for whom we prayed, the discernment led to a
            wonderful falling into place of events. God is good! Lord, help us all as You

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 26, 2008
              Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for John and Anne, celebrating their 30th
              wedding anniversary this week, also for Phil, for whom we prayed: he got the job
              and considers it a miracle. He thanks all for their payers. God is good!

              Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Pat, who died of cancer, and for all who mourn her.

              Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical well-being of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

              Ed ,who is suffering from MS, has experienced new neurological spells which leave him extremely weak, Doctors are running tests.

              Ed, a deacon, who is under going tests to see why he is experiencing heart problems.

              George who is to under go prostate surgery.

              Mary who is in her 70s and has upper respiratory and bladder infections.

              Mark who will be under going a colonoscopy.

              Lord, help us all as You