Holy Rule for Apr. 26

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Megan, 28, hospitalized with an abscess and complications after ovarian surgery, for her parents, Cliff and Peg, and all her family. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      April 26, August 26, December 26
      Chapter 68: If a Sister Is Commanded to Do Impossible Things

      If it happens
      that difficult or impossible tasks are laid on a sister,
      let her nevertheless receive the order of the one in authority
      with all meekness and obedience.
      But if she sees that the weight of the burden
      altogether exceeds the limit of her strength,
      let her submit the reasons for her inability
      to the one who is over her
      in a quiet way and at an opportune time,
      without pride, resistance, or contradiction.
      And if after these representations
      the Superior still persists in her decision and command,
      let the subject know that this is for her good,
      and let her obey out of love,
      trusting in the help of God.

      REFLECTION

      Buried in chapters whose names may throw us off there are usually
      gems, one just has to dig a bit more carefully. Granted, impossible
      tasks are rarely asked of anyone these days, much less Oblates who
      live outside the monastery, but there is a beautiful method given
      here which has the widest of applications.

      The method given here for approaching one's superior is a masterpiece
      of crisis intervention and prevention for almost any situation in
      life:

      "...in a quiet way and at an opportune time, without pride,
      resistance, or contradiction."

      We ought to carve that on the walls of every mediation center in the
      world, on the doors to every marriage counselor and above every
      complaint desk (or, as they euphemize them these days, "Customer
      Service," but what's in a name?)

      Look at what is called for here: composure and calm, timing, respect
      for the other person (Gandhi would even say love for the foe,) non-
      violence and non-contentiousness. Use this approach with
      disagreements and many of them will melt away. One reason Gandhi's
      non-violence worked was that he employed all of these things, the
      opponent was never denied her worth or dignity. When his followers
      pared the list, they failed. This is the recipe for lasting results,
      not for a temporary subjugation.

      Jesus, of course, gives us a three step process to redress wrongs: go
      to the person alone, if that doesn't work go with a witness, if even
      that fails, then haul them up before the whole assembly. We can
      consider ourselves absolved if we follow all those steps and may feel
      justified, but if we undertake ANY of those steps, especially the
      first one, without the calm prescribed by St. Benedict, our effort is
      all but guaranteed to fail. We can sputter out: "I went to her and I
      got NOWHERE!" Ah, yes, but HOW did you go? "He wouldn't even listen
      to the whole community!" Neither would you, if made to feel that
      small and worthless in public.

      Very often our manner of dealing with others says a great deal about
      how we esteem ourselves. A balanced dignity and self-love is shown in
      the Holy Rule's approach. It will go a longer way toward ending
      conflict than a "wronged prima donna" move.

      Watch how people fight and it will be easy to see that many consider any
      slight or offense against themselves to be THE original sin. Sigh... Give
      people like that a lot of room. Being wrong is not a capital offense, everybody
      does it at one time or another. People who demonstrate anything else by their
      actions damage their own standing in the group as well, and rightly so.

      Remember that every disagreement hurts the whole group. A family at
      dinner with two not speaking is a tense affair. You cannot calm a
      child by saying "This is between your Father and me! It has nothing
      to do with you." Because it does, it really does. A community in choir
      after a huge blow-up between two members is not an exquisite taste of
      mystical prayer. Everybody suffers. That's why fixing these fender-
      benders is so important and why St. Benedict gave us a way that is so
      very likely to achieve results.

      Now THAT"S creative peacemaking!

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2006

        Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of John Baerst, many years ago a cleric at St. Leo Abbey. He left after Vatican II, married Allison in the Church and raised two children, Virginia and Benedict. Prayers for them and all who mourn him.
        Prayers for someone single, depressed, with no health insurance, large post-op medical debt and unable to work at present , whose job position has been "deleted" and no income for the past 7 weeks. Prayers for Patty, frequent migraines, diabetes, high blood pressure and back pain, now also depressed and anxious about being denied a mortgage, for her husband and all their family. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! JL

[...]

        perceived slight or offense against themselves to be THE original sin. Never
        mind that the "offender" might have meant nothing of the sort, or acted in genuine
        ignorance or innocence. Forget all about that little item of being morally obliged
        to think the best of others. No quarter, no mercy!

        Sigh... Give people like that a lot of room. Being wrong is not a capital offense,
        everybody does it at one time or another. People who demonstrate anything else
        by their reactions damage their own standing in the group and rightly so.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25, 2007

          We pray for so many personal needs, let us all remember to pray daily for
          the Church, for its life and renewal. These are tough times for believers and we
          need all the prayers we can get.

          Prayers, please, for James, in need for new job since his current assignment
          is ending in 3 weeks. Prayers, too, for Alfredo, discerning a call to
          permanent diaconate. Prayers for Nuri, beginning doctoral studies in theology at
          Harvard, and for his aunt, Emilia, glad to have a family member in the area.
          Prayers for Gracie, just recovering from surgery and now diagnosed with breast
          cancer. Mastectomy scheduled for this Friday. She is asking for fortitude,
          comforting and that she be spared lymph node involvement. Prayers continuing
          for Griffin, the little boy we prayed for, some complications after his brain
          surgery put him back in ICU and in a lot of pain, but he seems to be doing
          better. Prayers for Nancy, on her birthday. Prayers for John, on his death
          anniversary.

          Prayers, too, for Barb, battling leukemia for some time, and after some
          recent bleeding (including behind one of her eyes, causing blindness) has just
          been told that she is close to the end, probably has 2-3 more weeks left. She's
          a very faithful person, but this is still terribly hard, especially for her
          elderly parents, with whom she has always lived. Prayers for Robert and his
          wife, Lita, whom we prayed for at her sudden death last year. Today is her
          birthday and Friday is their wedding anniversary. Prayers for Robert, in his
          grief and for Lita's eternal rest.

          Ardent prayers for for baby Ethan, suffering from a rare blood cancer and in
          desperate need of a
          bone marrow transplant. He has a rare genetic type and the chances are
          tremendously slim for a match. Many prayers needed that a match will turn up. Pass
          this one on to your friends, and keep his parents, Becky and Ben, in your
          prayers, too. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All
          is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 25, 2008

            We pray for so many personal needs, let us all remember to pray daily for
            the Church, for its life and renewal. These are tough times for believers and we
            need all the prayers we can get.

            Prayers for Robert and his wife, Lita, whom we prayed for at her sudden death in 2006. Today is her birthday and a few days away is their wedding anniversary. Prayers for Robert, in his grief and for Lita's eternal rest.

            Prayers for someone seeking to overcome pride and accept his place.

[...]

            else by their reactions damage their own standing in the group and rightly so.