Holy Rule for Apr. 23

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23, 2004
      +PAX

      A glorious St. George's Day to all our English members and their
      friends!

      Prayers, please, for Brother Dennis and his seminary studies: finals
      in two weeks! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never
      absent. Thanks so much! JL

      April 23, August 23, December 23
      Chapter 65: On the Prior of the Monastery

      To us, therefore, it seems expedient
      for the preservation of peace and charity
      that the Abbot have in his hands
      the full administration of his monastery.
      And if possible let all the affairs of the monastery,
      as we have already arranged,
      be administered by deans according to the Abbot's directions.
      Thus, with the duties being shared by several,
      no one person will become proud.

      But if the circumstances of the place require it,
      or if the community asks for it with reason and with humility,
      and the Abbot judges it to be expedient,
      let the Abbot himself constitute as his Prior
      whomsoever he shall choose
      with the counsel of God-fearing brethren.

      That Prior, however, shall perform respectfully
      the duties enjoined on him by his Abbot
      and do nothing against the Abbot's will or direction;
      for the more he is raised above the rest,
      the more carefully should he observe the precepts of the Rule.

      If it should be found that the Prior has serious faults,
      or that he is deceived by his exaltation and yields to pride,
      or if he should be proved to be a despiser of the Holy Rule,
      let him be admonished verbally up to four times.
      If he fails to amend,
      let the correction of regular discipline be applied to him.
      But if even then he does not reform,
      let him be deposed from the office of Prior
      and another be appointed in his place who is worthy of it.
      And if afterwards he is not quiet and obedient in the community,
      let him even be expelled from the monastery.
      But the Abbot, for his part, should bear in mind
      that he will have to render an account to God
      for all his judgments,
      lest the flame of envy or jealousy be kindled in his soul.

      REFLECTION

      The overwhelming majority of us, myself included, are never going to
      be a Prior or Prioress. Firm grasp on the obvious there!! What,
      however, may we glean from this chapter? There are at least several
      possibilities.

      First, even if your position gives you a certain level of honor,
      never be so stupid as to believe it, to become proud, to take
      yourself far too seriously. Cling to a self-knowledge of your
      limitations, your sins and failings, especially when being praised.
      Yes, we are human, yes, it is nice to hear those things, yes,
      sometimes they are even close to the truth, but praise, rank and
      honor can be awful traps. Like crack cocaine, they can addict us the
      first time we really give in to them. Great caution is in order here.

      Second, every commitment to Christ, Baptism, Oblation or Profession,
      obliges us to a higher standard of self-control. The Holy Rule,
      because speaking of a superior, uses the phrase "raised above the
      rest." We should read therein that ANY commitment which separates us
      and sets us further apart for the service of God means that we must
      more carefully observe the precepts of the Rule. Even though it can
      be quite annoying to hear, how often someone will say, immediately
      after a litany of transgressions the person has committed, "And she
      is an OBLATE!" (Or Franciscan Third Order, or whatever.) People
      expect more of us because of our religious inclinations and we should
      not disappoint them.

      Third, and perhaps most important of all, no one, save God alone, is
      indispensable. No one. Want to see the change that your removal from
      the scene will effect? Stick your forearm into a bucket of water, and
      then pull it out. Same thing, folks, the waters close right in and
      things go on quite nicely. The higher water level while our arm was
      there was only illusion anyway. This one can work in happy concert
      with the above warning about taking ourselves too seriously. Usually,
      when we THINK we're hot stuff, we aren't, and even if we truly are at
      some point, it is FAR better not to know that, and a LOT easier for
      the spiritual struggle.

      Yes, we ARE important, we are infinitely important to God and, as a
      result, to each other. But what makes us so is holiness and love and
      struggling for virtue, not power.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 23, 2006
          +PAX

          A hearty Deo gratias and prayers for all who are making their first Divine Mercy Sunday today. May God fill them and all who keep Mercy Sunday with His choicest graces and blessings and love! Jesus, I trust in You!

          Deo gratias from Alix, the brush fires that threatened her area were contained without harm to life or property. Blessings on the firefighters and neighbors who banded together to help God help them all! Prayers for Rosemary, recovering from brain surgery, for Ernie, who had a tumor behind his eye removed, and for Doug, successful prostate surgery. Prayers, too, for Christian George, on his birthday, for his parents and proud grandparents, too! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          sometimes they even seem close to the truth, but praise, rank and
          honor can be awful traps. Like crack cocaine, they can addict us the
          first time we really give in to them. Great caution is in order here.

          Second, every commitment to Christ, Baptism, Oblation or Profession,
          obliges us to a higher standard of self-control. The Holy Rule,
          because speaking of a superior, uses the phrase "raised above the
          rest." We should read therein that ANY commitment which separates us
          and sets us further apart for the service of God means that we must
          more carefully observe the precepts of the Rule.

          Even though it can be quite annoying to hear, how often someone will say,
          immediately after a litany of transgressions the person has committed, "And she
          is an OBLATE!" (Or Franciscan Third Order, or whatever.) People rightly

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 22, 2007
            +PAX

            Special prayers for all our readers in England, on the Feast of St. George,
            patron of England. May God fill them and their nation with His choicest
            graces.

            Prayers, please, for a young woman named Jackie, having chemo-therapy for
            cancer, quite nervous of course, trying to keep her hopes and spirits up. Also
            for a young American man, originally from Pakistan, trying to get his wife
            into the USA from Pakistan but having lots of problems with red-tape. Prayers,
            too, form a Scottish woman, Carol, who is seriously thinking of coming into
            the Catholic Church, but has many family problems to deal with, asking for
            prayers and guidance. Continued prayers for Rose, nearing death, and for her
            daughter and all their family. Prayers for the Orange, MA confirmation class
            that visited our monastery today. May God keep them all close to Himself and to
            His will, prayers, too, for Fr. Bill, their pastor. Prayers for a Catholic
            struggling to accept certain dogmas after a long absence from the Church.
            Prayers for J., awful self-esteem issues and depression. Lord, help us all

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 22, 2008
              +PAX

              JOYCE JUNGLES, PLEASE NOTE: I lost your prayer intention, please resend. JL

              Special prayers for all our readers in England, on the Feast of St. George,
              patron of England. May God fill them and their nation with His choicest
              graces.

              Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Desiree, 18, killed in a car wreck, and for all who mourn her.

              Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical well-being of the following, for all their families and all who take care of them:

              Michael, disappeared without a trace. Prayers he will contact some of his friends and seek help if needed.

              George, unlikely to recover, family hoping for hospice care, and for Merita, his wife, and their kids.

              Phillip, important job interview on Wednesday that could solve a lot of his financial problems.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 22, 2011
                +PAX

                Prayers for Elizabeth, serious side affect/reaction to a drug doctors gave her , neurological impairment and some may be permanent, she is very ill.

                Prayers, please, for Sr. Phyllis Hunhoff of Sacred Heart Monastery, Yankton, SD, and her family, on the death of her brother, Ed, and for his eternal rest and all who mourn him.

[...]

                she is an OBLATE!" (Or Franciscan Third Order, or whatever.) People rightly
[...]

                struggling for virtue, not rank.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 22, 2016

                  +PAX

                  Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Fr. Raymond Gawronski, SJ, 65, and for his family and Community and all who mourn him.

                  Prayers for Cammy’s church, which is opening a new Youth Center.

                  Prayers for the eternal rest of Mr. Cicone, 95, for whom we prayed, and prayers for his wife, who has cancer, and for his daughter, Linda, and all his family. They are fearful Mrs. Cicone will be hit so hard by his death that she may follow him. Extra prayers for her.

                  Prayers for Kerrie, her second thyroid biopsy came back benign. But, she had cancer in the first one, so they sent her for a second. Next step, because she has a confirmed neuromyopathy, her PC is sending her to an Oncologist. He suspects it’s a rapid growing type of cancer. Also, Kerrie thinks her thyroid is causing her sleep issues. Prayers for healing.

                  Continued prayers for Jodye, who is terminal. Especially that she gets her spiritual affairs in order and many prayers for her husband and two children.

                  Prayers, please, for Ernest, who's having bypass and heart valve surgery. For his successful and speedy recovery. May God strengthen him and those who love him.

                  Prayers for Kristan, is having problems with severe back pain. She is being treated now and prayers certainly will help her heal.

                  Prayers for the happy death of Kevin and for all his family.

                  Baby Millie, 7 months old, has died, prayers for her and her parents, church family and all who mourn her.

                  Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Pat Ciavarella, a faithful friend and reader of these posts, on the anniversary of her death. Prayers, too, for her family and all who mourn her,

[...]

                  more carefully observe the precepts of the Rule. We are Oblates.
                  People rightly expect more of us because of our religious inclinations

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 22

                    +PAX

                    Prayers for Kasey and Linda Ann, who made their Final Oblation at Petersham on Saturday, may they have many years and many graces in the Lord’s service!

                    Ongoing prayers for David and Neesha and their baby, Declan Jerome. Prayers for a safe and healthy pregnancy and delivery.