Divine Mercy Sunday

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17, 2004

      I beg the forgiveness of our non-Catholic readers for a moment as I write a very Catholic post on Divine Mercy Sunday.

      When Pope John Paul II surprised the world by extending Divine Mercy Sunday to the whole Roman Catholic Church at St. Maria Faustina's canonization in the year 2000, he "liturgicalized" the devotion which prompted the feast. Hence, though a newer devotion, the Divine Mercy now shares an equal official footing with such older "liturgical" (so termed because they enjoy a feast in the Church calendar,) devotions, like the Sacred Heart, Brown Scapular, and the Rosary.

      St. Faustina died in 1938. The private revelations given to her by our Lord are the basis for the Divine Mercy devotion and are outlined in her Diary. The revelations, though private, have received immense support and approval from the current Pope, not least of which was the establishment of the feast of Divine Mercy Sunday on the Second Sunday of Easter. The devotion is theologically rich- reminiscent in this respect of the richness found in the Sacred Heart theology- and very, very consoling. It certainly bears a very close look if you haven't checked it out yet.

      One of our Lord's greatest promises was the complete remission of all punishment to those who would make a good confession and receive Communion on Mercy Sunday. In effect, He promised to renew the baptismal innocence. Hence, while the Church does grant a plenary indulgence to the devotion, it may be seen that the promise given St. Faustina is even greater than that, to say nothing of easier to gain. (The new norms for gaining an indulgence require a lack of attachment to all sin, even venial sin, something few of us are likely to be certain of until after our death!)

      I urge you to go to Confession and Communion tomorrow. (It is not necessary that the Confession be on Mercy Sunday, but it should be within a week previously, I understand. Sorry I didn't get this message out earlier...) If you need to go to Confession, try to catch your pastor early, before Mass tomorrow. It is well worth his time and yours! Confession, Communion and prayers to the Divine Mercy of God will gift you beyond your dreams. Go for it!

      For more information about the Divine Mercy devotion, click on: http://marian.org/shrine/index.html

      And please say a prayer for me!

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2005

        Today is Divine Mercy Sunday, a feast which Pope John Paul II instituted at St. Faustina's canonization in 2000. He died shortly after the Vigil Mass of Divine Mercy Sunday was celebrated in his room last night. I urge all Catholics to make a good Confession and Communion today (the Confession can be a few days before,) to gain the wondrous promise that Jesus made regarding this feast: a total remission of all guilt and punishment due to sin, in effect, a renewal of one's baptismal innocence. Private revelation that may be, but trusting in God's goodness, we may hope to obtain exactly that great gift. If it seems to good to be true, it ISN'T- just say "Jesus, I trust in You!" and hang on! Deo gratias!!

        Love and prayers and mercy, always, mercy!

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 29 6:12 AM

          I know I have readers of many faiths. Please indulge me in this very
          Catholic post for the Catholics on our lists.

          Today is Divine Mercy Sunday. Jesus promised St. Faustina that all who made a
          good Confession and received Communion on Mercy Sunday would receive a
          complete remission of all guilt- in essence, a renewal of their baptismal innocence.
          The confession can be made before Sunday, need not be on the very day, unless one needs to
          go in order to receive the Eucharist.

          Awesome gift! While not Church dogma, it is an approved private revelation
          that all Catholics are free to believe. The fact that the late Pope John Paul II
          extended Mercy Sunday to the universal Church calendar is significant,
          indeed. Such things usually take much longer.

          Please, if you have never made Mercy Sunday before, make your first one this
          year. If just one of you does so, that is a treasure so ineffably great. Go
          make a good Confession, go to Communion, perform some work of mercy, spiritual
          (prayer for others we can all do!) or corporal and say the Chaplet. By the way, the Chaplet
          is a particularly powerful prayer for the dying. Directions for the
          Chaplet may be found at:

          http://www.marian.org/divinemercy/chaplet.html

          The Chaplet is not an essential part of the Mercy Sunday, but say some
          prayers of thanks for and trust in His great Mercy! If there are some organized Divine Mercy
          celebrations in your area, try to attend one.