Holy Rule for Apr. 17

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Jodie. She has cysts removed from her scalp which turned out to be more extensive than she thought. Prayers for her fast and complete healing. Also for Jean Ann. Prognosis after her hysterectomy is not good, cancer remains. She must face chemo and radiation and has a life expectancy of only 2 years. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      April 17, August 17, December 17
      Chapter 62: On the Priests of the Monastery

      If an Abbot desire
      to have a priest or a deacon ordained for his monastery,
      let him choose one
      who is worthy to exercise the priestly office.

      But let the one who is ordained
      beware of self-exaltation or pride;
      and let him not presume to do anything
      except what is commanded him by the Abbot,
      knowing that he is so much the more subject
      to the discipline of the Rule.
      Nor should he by reason of his priesthood forget
      the obedience and the discipline required by the Rule,
      but make ever more and more progress towards God.

      Let him always keep the place which he received
      on entering the monastery,
      except in his duties at the altar
      or in case the choice of the community and the will of the Abbess
      should promote him for the worthiness of his life.
      Yet he must understand
      that he is to observe the rules laid down by deans and Priors.

      Should he presume to act otherwise,
      let him be judged not as a priest but as a rebel.
      And if he does not reform after repeated admonitions,
      let even the Bishop be brought in as a witness.
      If then he still fails to amend,
      and his offenses are notorious,
      let him be put out of the monastery,
      but only if his contumacy is such
      that he refuses to submit or to obey the Rule.

      REFLECTION

      The other day I passed the assistant manager of our local supermarket
      cleaning up a bad mess on the floor with sweeping compound. I stopped
      and told him that was the best possible thing his employees could
      see. I congratulated him, saying that I had always tried to be that
      way when I was a supervisor and that, as a result, my employees would
      do anything for me gladly. They had seen me do it first.

      This chapter applies to anyone who rises at work or at school or even
      in the home. Much is required of those to whom much is given! When a
      Benedictine gets a promotion, the basic willingness to do anything
      necessary ought to remain firmly in place!

      Authority, when it is placed over us, is to be reverenced and obeyed,
      when it is placed in our own hands, it is to serve, not to reign! All
      of us get the opportunity to deal with authority or to administer
      same. Our Benedictine hearts should make it readily evident to any
      who observes us that our style in either area is decidedly different!

      There's another thing both the world and religious life could profit
      from learning. Authority in the Holy Rule is not permanent, not even
      in the case of an Abbot, whom St. Benedict says may, even ought to be
      removed in extreme cases. So often, in cloister or world, once we
      have kicked someone upstairs, we are hesitant to ever put them
      downstairs again. That shouldn't be. It gives the person and the
      community an excellent potential for learning and teaching humility.
      Whenever anyone handles authority badly, really badly, they should
      not be rewarded with continued administration. Alas, that is often
      not the case.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 17, 2006

          Prayers, please, for Mr. Lentz, for whom we have been praying, as many parts of our world were already celebrating the Easter Vigil, he went to God and his own experience of the Easter reality on Holy Saturday night. Special prayers for his wife, his daughter, Linda, his son Rick, and all his family. May his death have been happy and his rest be eternal!

          Prayers, too, for Michelle, job interview which could mean badly need health care and benefits for her. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          see. I congratulated him, saying that his employees would more likely
          do anything for him gladly. They had seen him do it first.

          This chapter applies to anyone who rises at work or at school or even
          in the home. Much is required of those to whom much is given! When a
          Benedictine gets a promotion, the basic willingness to do anything
          necessary ought to remain firmly in place!

          Authority, when it is placed over us, is to be reverenced and obeyed,
          when it is placed in our own hands, it is to serve, not to reign! All
          of us get the opportunity to live under authority or to administer

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 16, 2007

            The worst mass slaying in US history occurred Monday on the campus of
            Virginia Technical Institute: 32 dead, including the gunman, who took his own life,
            and 26 injured, some critically. Prayers, please, for the happy death and
            eternal rest of all the dead and for all their families and those who mourn
            them. Prayers for the injured and their healing and their families. Special
            prayers (because many will omit him...) for the gunman. How awful to take one's
            own life at any time, but how terribly awful within minutes of such horrible
            killings. May the Divine Mercy have called him and all his victims to eternal
            life and may they all have answered that call. Please recall how powerful the
            Divine Mercy Chaplet is for the dying and that it is NEVER too late to pray.
            God is outside of time. Together we can offer many Chaplets for all of the
            dead. How many, after all, ordinarily walk into a college German class prepared
            to die?

            Prayers for one in discernment, an important meeting on Friday of this week.
            Prayers, please, for Joe, who is facing a recurrence of cancer. He needs a
            consult, but the doctors are all booked solid and overwhelmed right now.
            Prayers for these doctors. Prayers also for a 63 year old who has Alzheimer's,
            and for a woman with Parkinson's, whose tremors have returned, and for her
            husband and her sister-in-law.

            Prayers for the crew of a ship which sank near Shetland, UK. Several Crew
            were found dead or are missing. The search for further survivors has been
            called off. Prayers for their happy death and eternal rest and for their
            families and all who mourn them. Prayers, too, for the small community there which
            this affects so deeply. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is