Holy Rule for Apr. 16

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Vi, having a scan for a spot on her lungs, and for Ann Marie, who is having a heart catheterization on Monday and is hopeful that surgery can correct the problem. Also, prayers for Christie: her big exam is tomorrow! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      April 16, August 16, December 16
      Chapter 61: How Pilgrim Monks Are To Be Received

      But if as a guest she was found exacting or prone to vice,
      not only should she be denied membership in the community,
      but she should even be politely requested to leave,
      lest others be corrupted by her evil life.

      If, however, she has not proved to be the kind
      who deserves to be put out,
      she should not only on her own application be received
      as a member of the community,
      but she should even be persuaded to stay,
      that the others may be instructed by her example,
      and because in every place it is the same Lord who is served,
      the same King for whom the battle is fought.

      Moreover, if the Abbess perceives that she is worthy,
      she may put her in a somewhat higher rank.
      [And not only with regard to a nun
      but also with regard to those in priestly or clerical orders
      previously mentioned,]*
      the Abbess may establish them in a higher rank
      than would be theirs by date of entrance
      if she perceives that their life is deserving.

      Let the Abbess take care, however,
      never to receive a nun from another known monastery
      as a member of her community
      without the consent of her Abbess or a letter of recommendation;
      for it is written,
      "Do not to another what you would not want done to yourself" (Tob.
      4:16).

      *(The gender switch is built in at the OSB site.) [Applicable only to
      women of some contemporary monastic communities
      in Protestant Communions.]

      REFLECTION

      Not all criticism is good. Every person at the door of your
      workplace, home or monastery is a challenge for virtue from God. They
      may even be doing His will unwittingly by their pickiness or
      crankiness.

      That doesn't mean that every single criticism should be taken to
      heart. Sometimes the message God sends is positive, sometimes
      negative, sometimes merely an exercise in endurance! Trust me, I have
      worked in the guest house for over seven years...

      Some of us are so complacent that we badly need to be taken down a
      bit. Others, however, have such wounded self-esteem that they will
      need protection, need to be careful and yes, MINDFUL enough to
      balance what is said to them by critical types. Hear what people say,
      but sift it very carefully. They might be right, but they might be
      wrong, too.

      Some people, I have no doubt, are sent to us for no
      reason other than to teach us to recognize such fools as those of
      whom St. Paul speaks and suffer them [hopefully!] gladly, or at least
      start working at suffering them civilly. I usually find myself STILL
      working at "civilly." Gladly is a pretty tall order!

      Some of us, too, need to listen to this while putting ourselves in
      the role of the guest. I remember a priest in the mid 1970's, who
      thought every single homily should "shake 'em up a bit." Well,
      yes and no and neither, at times.

      For one thing, he missed the fact that, by that time, most of the
      flock had been "shaken up" quite regularly for 7 years or so, and
      not always for the better nor always by the brightest. People quite
      rightly get weary of that. He got his chance at first, but it wasn't
      long before our only response was annoyance, followed soon thereafter
      by relative deafness. ("Oh no, look who's celebrant today...") He
      missed the balance and when we miss balances, we largely fail.

      Even "Father Disturbus" had the occasional good idea, but they get
      buried in the avalanche of not so hot stuff. Learn, if you don't
      already know, how to discount people like that. Strive to never be a
      person like that. Don't make a life calling out of shaking people up,
      they'll get over you fast. But neither should a timidly, uncharitable
      politeness make you afraid to speak when it is really necessary and
      might actually help.

      It is a sad fact that many of the "Disturbi" of the world
      have no clue, none at all, how annoying they are. Try very hard to
      ascertain whether or not you're one of them, and if you are, please
      stop! For everyone's sake.

      Love and prayers,
      Jerome, OSB (who can be a bit of a Disturbus at times himself!)

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16, 2005

        Deo gratias! Prayers of thanksgiving for Marialyce, who is recovering from her eye surgery, which went well. Prayers, too, for Julie, another Oblate, who has been helping Marialyce get around (even to the vet for her cat!) Julie suffers from some health issues of her own, so extra prayers for her health, which she so willingly shares with others! Very special prayers for a woman who badly needs psychiatric hospitalization, that she get the help she needs, for her family and friends, too. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        crankiness, but they are not therefore necessarily right.

        That means that every single criticism should be carefully weighed.
        Sometimes the message God sends is positive, sometimes
        negative, sometimes merely an exercise in endurance! Trust me, I have
        worked in the guest house for over seven years... The person who
        annoys you could be right, but not always!

        Some of us are so complacent that we badly need to be taken down a
        bit. Others, however, have such wounded self-esteem that they will
        need protection, need to be careful and yes, MINDFUL enough to
        balance what is said to them by critical types. Hear what people say,
        but sift it very carefully. They might be wrong.

        Some people, I have no doubt, are sent to us for no
        reason other than to teach us to recognize such fools as those of
        whom St. Paul speaks and suffer them [hopefully!] gladly, or at least
        start working at suffering them civilly. I usually find myself STILL
        working at "civilly." Gladly is a pretty tall order!

        Some of us, too, need to listen to this while putting ourselves in
        the role of the guest or the listeners. I remember a priest in the mid 1970's,
        who thought every single homily should "shake 'em up a bit." Well,
        yes and no and neither, at times. Not every "pearl" of wisdom is
        cultured!

        For one thing, he missed the fact that, by that time, most of the
        flock had been "shaken up" quite regularly for 7 years or so, and
        not always for the better nor always by the brightest. People quite
        rightly get weary of that. They tune out.

        He got his chance at first, but it wasn't long before our only response
        was annoyance, followed soon thereafter by relative deafness. ("Oh no,
        look who's celebrant today...") He missed the balance and when we
        miss balances, we largely fail.

        Even "Father Disturbus" had the occasional good idea, but they got
        buried in the avalanche of not so hot stuff. Learn, if you don't
        already know, how to filter people like that. Even a stopped clock is
        right twice a day and there might be something worthwhile buried in all
        the rest.

        Strive to never be a person like that. Don't make a life calling out of
        shaking people up, they'll get over you fast. You don't want that to happen,
        you want to keep their attention until they can hear Christ in your speech and
        see Him in your life. Jostling nerves is not the best way to attract others to
        the Gospel.

        But neither should a timidly, uncharitable politeness make you afraid to
        speak when it is really necessary and might actually help. The monastic
        tendency to avoid conflict, often at virtually any cost, is not always kind. It
        is often nothing more than cowardice. As usual m'dears, balance, ALWAYS
        balance! And ALWAYS kindness. When you have to say something difficult,
        the loving tone will most likely be heard, the strident one will usually serve
        only to make matters worse and hurts deeper.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 16, 2006

          As rarely happens, there were no prayer requests today. That gives us an excellent opportunity to pray for each other. By now many of us have realized what a community of pray-ers these intentions have brought about. We have helped each other and felt the warmth of prayerful support. Let us deepen those bonds today by ardent prayers for all of us reading these reflections, for all who have helped us with their prayers.

          Even as I wish our Western Christians a blessed Easter, the Pasch of the Lord, I must also wish our Eastern Christians a blessed Palm Sunday. Let us also pray that we may see, in our own lifetimes, a common date for Easter, let us pray that the West takes the first steps in that matter, too. It would be such a profound gesture of unity for all of Western Christianity to lovingly adopt the Eastern Christian date without further ado. And Jesus did pray that we may all be one! Every honest step closer to His prayer is a graced and holy thing! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          worked in the guest house for nearly ten years... The person who

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 15, 2007

            A special prayer request from our Sister Mary Paula, for her nephew, Kyle.
            Kyle, now 21, is a survivor of childhood cancer after a bone marrow transplant.
            He was very touch and go for a while, but he has pulled through. Now, he
            wants to give back something of what he received and has completed training for
            EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) certification, doing fine on all his
            practical applications. However, he has terrible trouble with written exams and
            has to take his final certification exam a second time. He only missed by two
            points, so ardent prayers for his second try, this Tuesday, at 11:30am.
            Prayers, too, that he may find a good specialist to treat him, as he had to leave
            his long-time pediatric physician on turning 21. And please say a pray for his
            devoted aunt, Sr. Mary Paula, too.

            Prayers for Ann, fear and anxiety at work are crippling her, that she let it
            go and give it all to God and His Mother. Prayers for the happy death and
            eternal rest of Keith, the stroke victim for whom we prayed, he has gone to God.
            Prayers, too, for his family and all who mourn him. Prayers for Wayne, who
            is hospitalized with
            congestive heart failure, and for his wife, who cannot stay alone at home,
            and for the family who are meeting to determine a course of action, especially
            his daughter, Candace. Griffin, the child with brain surgery is going home,
            doing very well. Deo gratias and his family thanks all for their prayers.

            Continued prayers for Jessie, still involved deeply with wicca. This
            requires very, very strong prayers and probably fasting, too. It is no simple matter
            to wrestle with the power of darkness here. Prayers for Cheryl and her
            marriage and family. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best.
[...]

            *(The gender switch is built in at the Collegeville OSB site.) [Applicable
            only to
            women of some contemporary monastic communities
            in Protestant Communions.]

            REFLECTION

            Not all criticism is good. Every person at the door of your
            workplace, home or monastery is a challenge for virtue from God. They
            may even be doing His will unwittingly by their pickiness or
            crankiness, but they are not therefore necessarily right.

            That means that every single criticism should be carefully weighed.
            Sometimes the message God sends is positive, sometimes
            negative, sometimes merely an exercise in endurance! Trust me, I have
            worked in the guest house for nearly eleven years... The person who
[...]

            not always for the best nor always by the brightest. People quite
            rightly get weary of that. They tune out.

            He got his chance at first, but it wasn't long before our only response
            was annoyance, followed soon thereafter by relative deafness. ("Oh no,
            look who's celebrant today...") He missed the balance and when one
            misses balance, one largely fails.

            Even "Father Disturbus" had the occasional good idea, but that got

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 15, 2008

              Prayers for the safety and success of our Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, as he visits the United States these next few days.

              Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who take care of them:

              Jessie and her boyfriend, Stephen, that they are good parents for the baby Jessie is carrying, also for her Mom, who is so worried for them.

              Bernardine, over 90, broken wrist, very problematic as she lives alone.

              Annie and her Mom, her Mom had post-op cancer treatments and now has a suspicious area in her arm and shoulder.

              June, brain cancer, having a particularly bad health day.

              John, back in hospital with spine cancer that is spreading rapidly.

              George, starting a new job working with folks with addictions and needing God's grace to help them.