Holy Rule for Apr. 13

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 13, 2004

      Prayers of thanksgiving for Bernie, home after his stroke and doing well. Still a lot of therapy needed, and prayers. Deo gratias prayers of thanks, too, for John, who's doing well after his surgery for cancer, prognosis good! Also, prayers for Michael, his shingles are so painful and he is having a very tough time. They cover most of one side of his head, neck and face. Prayers, too, for Dunstan, a lot of problems after risky eye surgery. Further surgery may be necessary. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      April 13, August 13, December 13
      Chapter 59: On the Sons of Nobles and of the Poor Who Are Offered

      If anyone of the nobility
      offers his son to God in the monastery
      and the boy is very young,
      let his parents draw up the document which we mentioned above;
      and at the oblation
      let them wrap the document itself and the body's hand in the altar
      cloth.
      That is how they offer him.

      As regards their property,
      they shall promise in the same petition under oath
      that they will never of themselves, or through an intermediary,
      or in any way whatever,
      give him anything
      or provide him with the opportunity of owning anything.
      Or else,
      if they are unwilling to do this,
      and if they want to offer something as an alms to the monastery
      for their advantage,
      let them make a donation
      of the property they wish to give to the monastery,
      reserving the income to themselves if they wish.
      And in this way let everything be barred,
      so that the boy may have no expectations
      whereby (which God forbid) he might be deceived and ruined,
      as we have learned by experience.

      Let those who are less well-to-do make a similar offering.
      But those who have nothing at all
      shall simply draw up the document
      and offer their son before witnesses at the oblation.

      REFLECTION

      It's always nice to read Chapter. 59, because it is the source of our
      having Oblates today. Thanks be to God for the myriad blessings and
      graces that have come to the Benedictine family through Oblates and
      for the graces they have received from their bonds to the Order! It
      is hard for me to imagine where we would be without Oblates.

      Those who are seen help us with labors and goods, and those who are
      unseen, help us with a treasure of prayers whose vastness we dare not
      even guess until we finally see clearly in heaven. In most cases, by
      numbers, Oblates outnumber the professed of the community, so God
      must have known how badly we needed them. It is most likely their
      prayers that kept us going all these years.

      The living and the dead, the strugglers and those already in heaven,
      help us move the great throng of our Order forward through history.
      What heaven must be like! The Oblates there are united to God,
      already freely conversant with St. Benedict, with heroes and heroines
      we can only read about. How delighted they must have been to be
      welcomed by a family far more numerous than they ever imagined.

      They were not strangers to those Benedictines of centuries past. Why?
      Because the saints of the past hold us dear throughout our time of
      trial. They already know us, they have been praying for us all along,
      even if we have not met them yet in person. When I read Anglo-Saxon
      Benedictine history, a favorite hobby of mine, I am just learning their
      names. They already know my name: they have prayed for me for years
      before I even cracked a book.

      When an Oblate joins our ranks, becoming a member of this great
      family, there are graces beyond counting in store. Ours is a family
      of saints, of great holiness. It is also a family of strugglers, the
      mediocre, the halt and lame and the beginning. The communion of
      saints is replicated in miniature in our own Order. All that great sanctity,
      past and present, comes, in the eternal now of heaven, to our aid.
      The weak are carried by the strong. It is easy to forget the miracle
      that signing one little Oblation chart on the altar effects.

      If I could (and did!) write a love song for the habit, I could write one as
      great for Oblates. How much they have changed and enriched my life,
      how deeply I find my days entwined around Oblates from all over the
      world. Prayers and insights shared back and forth, friendships that
      have sprung up in cyberspace, the wonderful gift of having others spread
      far and wide who share the journey with me, these are all gifts of grace to
      me, inestimable gifts! My life would be terribly dull and colorless without
      you all!

      Thank God for our Oblates. Thank God for the chance He led St.
      Benedict to give to them and to ourselves!

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 13, 2005

        Prayers, please for Mac, wheelchair-bound, who feel out of his chair and broke both legs, prayers for Ramon, a great advocate for the poor, comatose after a severe heart attack and now off life support, prayers for his family and friends, too. Prayers for Bryan, who was found dead of unknown causes, and for his family and friends. Prayers, too for Lori, recent breast biopsy. Prayers for the coming Conclave to elect a new Pope, that God guides them through the Holy Spirit. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace, God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        What an astounding blessing and grace is ours in this opportunity our
        holy Father Benedict gave us long ago, a chance to share the riches of
        his teachings with those outside our cloisters. How painful it would be
        if we had to keep such a pearl of great price to ourselves! We are most
        wonderfully privileged to have this means of sharing St. Benedict's way
        to life with all. Professed should never forget this, and never forget to be
        deeply grateful, never allow the usualness of this privilege we have long had
        to make us nonchalant in our thankfulness!

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 13, 2006

          Belated birthday prayers for Br. Bernard, who codgered over the big 50 hill earlier this week. Ad multos annos!! Many years!!

          Prayers for a very special intention for Pat and family. Prayers, too, for Fr. Brendan, depression and fibromyalgia. Prayers for Mr. Lentz, late stage lymphoma, hospice care called in after a fall and cerebral hemorrhage and significant brain injury, and for all his family, especially his daughter, Linda and youngest son Rick. He has been anointed, Deo gratias. Continued prayers for Bill, for whom we prayed. He should be going home soon, but they have not been able to control the cancer in his liver and kidneys and prognosis is not good. Prayers for Rita, who suffered a mild stroke, for her nephew, Adrian, and all her family. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Donna, 49, who died suddenly Monday. A widow, she leaves a son and daughter in their 20's, so prayers for them and all who mourn her. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          me, inestimable gifts! My life would be so much diminished without the
          gifts of light and joy, love and edification that you bring to me. Thanks so
          very, very much!!

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 12, 2007

            ++++I am getting a very late start and will not be able to respond to all
            prayer intentions with individual posts to the one asking, just adding the
            intentions here. Please take their appearance on the list as the only
            acknowledgment I can manage tonight. Thanks. JL

            Prayers, pleased, for Bernie, forced to resign and badly wanting that
            decision overturned, but really needing to want nothing but God's will. Prayers,
            too, for those who hurt him so badly at work, may nothing but God's will come of
            all this. Prayers for Joanne, intestinal blockage, had emergency surgery
            yesterday. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias, Suzanne, the heart attack patient
            we prayed for, is feeling much better. Prayers for Lindsay, college student
            who lost her father in very sad circumstances. She is mourning him alone and
            it is so hard for her, rest of the family seems estranged and disinterested.

            Prayers for Ann, liver transplant Monday, prayers, too for her family during
            this very stressful and emotional time. Prayers for Jackie terminally ill;
            and for Ed, Roger, Susan, and Pam. Also prayers for the Benedictine Monks of
            Waegwan Abbey in Korea whose monastery burned down on Good Friday.

            Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Danny Joe, who died suddenly
            last week and for all his family, all who mourn him, especially his cousin,
            Michael. Also please pray mightily for two convict Oblates, that they not be
            taken advantage of by those who have no faith and for their mentor. Prayers
            for Frs. Omer and Matthew, OSB, and for Fr. Matthew's ill mother. Prayers for
            Tracy, bones crumbling from osteoporosis during a routine foot surgery now
            require much more extensive surgery. Prayers for the success of the efforts to
            repair the serious damage done to her frail bones. Prayers of Deo gratias
            for Kaitlyn, successful back surgery, and for her grateful grandmother, Joan.
            Deo gratias, too, for Bob, our liver transplant, who seems to be doing much
            better. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is