Holy Rule for Apr. 12

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12, 2004
      +PAX

      Continued prayers, please, for Michael, who is really suffering terribly with shingles. Also, for Christie, her exam for teaching is this Saturday and tests throw her badly. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      When she is to be received
      she promises before all in the oratory
      stability,
      fidelity to monastic life
      and obedience.
      This promise she shall make before God and His Saints,
      so that if she should ever act otherwise,
      she may know that she will be condemned by Him whom she mocks.
      Of this promise of hers let her draw up a document
      in the name of the Saints whose relics are there
      and of the Abbess who is present.
      Let her write this document with her own hand;
      or if she is illiterate, let another write it at her request,
      and let the novice put her mark to it.
      Then let her place it with her own hand upon the altar;
      and when she has placed it there,
      let the novice at once intone this verse:
      "Receive me, O Lord, according to Your word, and I shall live:
      and let me not be confounded in my hope" (Ps. 118[119]:116).
      Let the whole community answer this verse three times
      and add the "Glory be to the Father."
      Then let the novice prostrate herself at each one's feet,
      that they may pray for her.
      And from that day forward
      let her be counted as one of the community.

      If she has any property,
      let her either give it beforehand to the poor
      or by solemn donation bestow it on the monastery,
      reserving nothing at all for herself,
      as indeed she knows that from that day forward
      she will no longer have power even over her own body.
      At once, therefore, in the oratory,
      let her be divested of her own clothes which she is wearing
      and dressed in the clothes of the monastery.
      But let the clothes of which she was divested
      be put aside in the wardrobe and kept there.
      Then if she should ever listen to the persuasions of the devil
      and decide to leave the monastery (which God forbid),
      she may be divested of the monastic clothes and cast out.
      Her document, however,
      which the Abbess has taken from the altar,
      shall not be returned to her, but shall be kept in the monastery.

      REFLECTION

      It is thrilling to me to know that, more than 1500 years later, we
      are still doing professions in the way St. Benedict did. A few things
      added, but the elements are there: writing and signing the document,
      placing it on the altar, the Suscipe ("Receive me, O Lord...") are all
      tremendously ancient and holy rites. What a privilege we have to
      belong to such a family.

      The Church approves religious rules. This is the basis for asserting
      that our Holy Rule is inspired by the Holy Spirit, because the Church
      gave its seal of approval. The Church, however, is indubitably older
      and often wiser (in SOME respects, but by no means ALL!) than
      monastic life. It predates every form of optional religious
      commitment. It is the blessing of the Church which makes official
      monastic life possible for any and all of us.

      This is just a prelude to saying that the wisdom of the Church long
      ago stopped people from making solemn vows, a life-long commitment
      difficult to break, right out of novitiate. Not only does this longer
      program protect people, to a certain extent, from making a mistake,
      it also spares the monastery from having a lot of misfits with chapter
      votes running the show. There are many, many I have known who left in
      simple vows that I remain eternally grateful for the fact that they
      were never chapter members!! What a zoo that would have been!

      A year may well have been enough in St. Benedict's time. People had
      vastly shorter life spans, it was a bigger chunk of their lives. They
      also had to grow up more quickly and their options were fewer by far
      than those of our own day.

      Oblates, therefore, can garner a few kernels of truth in this chapter
      about commitment, that bugbear of the baby boomer generation and
      beyond. Modern people find it terribly hard to commit, some never
      manage it at all. As such, a bit of wisdom older than our own age may
      be very useful in our everyday lives.

      Whether it's a marriage or engagement or job or volunteer chairperson
      position, don't jump at things. Read the Rule, so to speak, three
      times at least! Look, look, look as mindfully as you can at the truth
      and reality of the situation. I have a friend who has suffered
      terribly in relationships which he ALWAYS insists are just wonderful
      and worth the effort, any effort, no matter who can see otherwise. He
      clings to this denial until they dump him and I DO mean clings. Out of
      fear, he does not really LOOK at the situation.

      Benedictines are not people afraid of commitment, but we live in a
      world where many are. Our witness here must be care and balance. We
      must resolutely walk BETWEEN the extremes of foolhardy haste and
      crippling fear. In the world of today, that is no small witness and
      no easy task. Pull this one off, and you have a done a service to
      many, not just to yourself!

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12, 2005
        +PAX

        Prayers of Deo gratias and thanksgiving for Natalie, who has returned to work yesterday! Her recovery was difficult for her, an active woman who chafes at being off her feet, but God graced her amply during her "cloistered days." Lord, help them as you know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        about commitment, that bugbear of the post-Word War II generation and

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12, 2006
          +PAX
          Prayers, please, for Nancy and Dave, who were expecting twins. One twin has now died and Nancy is in premature labor at five months. Thanksgiving an Deo gratias prayers for Mary Lou, her brain surgery went well, she is now in occupational and physical therapy and radium treatments will follow. Prayers for all suffering from obsessive/compulsive disorder. Prayers that a rift between three friends is healed.

          Prayers for the reunion of the Society of St. Pius X with the Roman Church, prayers, too, for vocations to St. Mary's Monastery and to all our monasteries. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 11, 2007
            +PAX

            Prayers, please, for A, suffering from sexual addiction, his addict friends
            haven't heard from him for several days and they're worried that he has gone
            back to acting out. He has recently lost his job and his housing and he
            suffers from bi-polar disorder. Prayers for Griffin, brain surgery on Monday went
            well, still in a lot of pain. Prayers for a high school student that lost him
            Mom last week. Also for Ronnie, who will have a
            medical procedure done on Friday. Prayers for Suzanne, heart attack in
            January, not well enough to return to work and her family depends on her income,
            she fears becoming an invalid or dying young. Lord, help us all as You know and

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 11, 2008
              +PAX

              Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Roseanne, mid-60's, who died unexpectedly in her sleep, and for her three sons and her many friends at St. Andrew's Abbey, Valyermo, where she was an Oblate, as well as her parish American Martyrs.

              For the spiritual, mental and physical welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who care for them:

              Bobby and Nikki and their kids. He was laid off, got a new job, but no health insurance now for 6 months. One of the kids has medical needs that will run over $750 a month.

              Amy, that she find the job God wills for her.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 11, 2016
                +PAX

                Prayers for Joey and Carol, expecting their first grandchild in November,
                and for Katy and Bill, the parents, and for a healthy baby and safe
                delivery.

                Prayers for a speedy recovery for Bonnie L., who recently had surgery.

                Prayers for the eternal rest of Neil's Mom, and for Neil and all her family
                and all who mourn her.

                Prayers for Ginger as she recovers, 20 stitches after a fall.

                Prayers for the eternal rest of Edward Peter, Oblate of St. Benedict
                Monastery, Bristow, VA who died Friday, April 8. Please keep Edward and his
                family in prayer.

                Continued healing prayers for John, for whom we prayed. His gall bladder was
                so infected it was gangrenous and had to be removed the old-fashioned way,
                with open surgery. Very serious surgery and now on massive antibiotics.
                Prayers for his recovery and for his wife, Rita.

                Prayers for Tina, enduring difficult and painful chemotherapy and treatment
                for cancer.

                Prayers for the eternal rest of the 108 dead and the recovery of 400 wounded
                in a Hindu temple fire in Kerala, India, and for the families of all.

                Prayers for Tony, who has been in ICU for 9 days for heart and breathing
                issues with fluid in his lungs. Doctors still looking for ways to help him
                go home. He is heartbroken as he has been the main caregiver of his wife for
                the past 6 years, after she had a stroke . Prayers for both.

[...]

                and often wiser than monastic life. It predates every form of optional
                religious
                commitment. It is the blessing of the Church which makes official
                monastic life possible for any and all of us.

                This is just a prelude to saying that the wisdom of the Church long
                ago stopped people from making solemn vows, a life-long commitment
                difficult to break, right out of novitiate. Not only does this longer
                program protect people, to a certain extent, from making a mistake,
                it also spares the monastery from having a lot of misfits with chapter
                votes running the show. There are many I have known who left in

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 12, 2016
                  +PAX

                  Prayers for the eternal rest of Marshall, 70, and for his family and all who
                  mourn him. He was not a particularly religious man, so ardent prayers,
                  please.

                  Prayers for the eternal rest of John, 72, and for all his family and all who
                  mourn him. I don't think he was a churchgoer, so many prayers.

                  Please pray for a happy death for, Susie W., 51, dying of pancreatic cancer.
                  She has a daughter, Katie, 16 years old, and a son, Robbie, 18. The
                  doctors told her husband that there is nothing more they can do. They will
                  bring her home tomorrow with hospice care, they don't expect her to live for
                  more than a few days.

                  Deo gratias and prayers of thanksgiving: Veronica, whom we have prayed for
                  in the past, has survived three attacks of cancer in different parts of her
                  body and now is celebrating her 50th wedding anniversary with her husband,
                  Joe. She can't stop thanking God and thanks all for their prayers.

                  Prayers for Marion, recovering from eye surgery.

                  Prayers for Gregory E., a special intention.

                  Prayers for Sr. Joanna who is giving her oral presentation for her Masters.

                  Things are not looking good for A.'s grandbaby, alas. There is some genetic
                  problem going on, but nobody seems to quite know what. Everybody is
                  understandably stressed and A is terrified that child will die without being
                  baptized. Prayers for the whole family please.

                  Prayers for Assunta, cancer behind her ear and going into her brain. Had
                  surgery and now facing radiation and tests, prayers they got it all.

                  Prayers for Denise, who has a uterine tumor, prayers that it is not cancer.

                  Prayers fopr the eternal rest of Msgr. Zeng Jingmu OP, Bishop of Yujiang in
                  China, died on April 2, aged 96. He had spent the last 23 years in prison
                  for remaining faithful to the Catholic Church and refusing to join the
                  government controlled Patriotic Association. He was denied a public funeral.

                  Prayers for Connie, perforated intestine, doctors say there is nothing more
                  they can do. She has a six year old daughter. Prayers for both.

                  Judith asks prayers for a stubborn strep infection that won't go away.

                  Chapter 59: On the Sons of Nobles and of the Poor Who Are Offered

                  If anyone of the nobility
                  offers his son to God in the monastery
                  and the boy is very young,
                  let his parents draw up the document which we mentioned above;
                  and at the oblation
                  let them wrap the document itself and the body's hand in the altar
                  cloth.
                  That is how they offer him.

                  As regards their property,
                  they shall promise in the same petition under oath
                  that they will never of themselves, or through an intermediary,
                  or in any way whatever,
                  give him anything
                  or provide him with the opportunity of owning anything.
                  Or else,
                  if they are unwilling to do this,
                  and if they want to offer something as an alms to the monastery
                  for their advantage,
                  let them make a donation
                  of the property they wish to give to the monastery,
                  reserving the income to themselves if they wish.
                  And in this way let everything be barred,
                  so that the boy may have no expectations
                  whereby (which God forbid) he might be deceived and ruined,
                  as we have learned by experience.

                  Let those who are less well-to-do make a similar offering.
                  But those who have nothing at all
                  shall simply draw up the document
                  and offer their son before witnesses at the oblation.

                  REFLECTION

                  It's always nice to read Chapter. 59, because it is the source of our
                  having Oblates today. Thanks be to God for the myriad blessings and
                  graces that have come to the Benedictine family through Oblates and
                  for the graces they have received from their bonds to the Order! It
                  is hard for me to imagine where we would be without Oblates.

                  Those who are seen help us with labors and goods, and those who are
                  unseen, help us with a treasure of prayers whose vastness we dare not
                  even guess until we finally see clearly in heaven. In most cases, by
                  numbers, Oblates outnumber the professed of the community, so God
                  must have known how badly we needed them. It is most likely their
                  prayers that kept us going all these years.

                  The living and the dead, the strugglers and those already in heaven,
                  help us move the great throng of our Order forward through history.
                  What heaven must be like! The Oblates there are united to God,
                  already freely conversant with St. Benedict, with heroes and heroines
                  we can only read about. How delighted they must have been to be
                  welcomed by a family far more numerous than they ever imagined.

                  They were not strangers to those Benedictines of centuries past. Why?
                  Because the saints of the past hold us dear throughout our time of
                  trial. They already know us, they have been praying for us all along,
                  even if we have not met them yet in person. When I read Anglo-Saxon
                  Benedictine history, a favorite hobby of mine, I am just learning their
                  names. They already know my name: they have prayed for me for years
                  before I even cracked a book.

                  When an Oblate joins our ranks, becoming a member of this great
                  family, there are graces beyond counting in store. Ours is a family
                  of saints, of great holiness. It is also a family of strugglers, the
                  mediocre, the halt and lame and the beginning. The communion of
                  saints is replicated in miniature in our own Order. All that great sanctity,
                  past and present, comes, in the eternal now of heaven, to our aid.
                  The weak are carried by the strong. It is easy to forget the miracle
                  that signing one little Oblation chart on the altar effects.

                  If I could (and did!) write a love song for the habit, I could write one as
                  great for Oblates. How much they have changed and enriched my life,
                  how deeply I find my days entwined around Oblates from all over the
                  world. Prayers and insights shared back and forth, friendships that
                  have sprung up in cyberspace, the wonderful gift of having others spread
                  far and wide who share the journey with me, these are all gifts of grace to
                  me, inestimable gifts! My life would be so much diminished without the
                  gifts of light and joy, love and edification that you bring to me. Thanks so
                  very, very much!!

                  Thank God for our Oblates. Thank God for the chance He led St.
                  Benedict to give to them and to ourselves!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 11

                    +PAX

                    Prayers for the eternal rest of Filomena and for all her family and all who mourn her, especially Fely and Bert.

                    Prayers for the eternal rest of two adults killed in an elementary school classroom shooting in San Bernardino, California. One of those killed was the suspected shooter, and police suspect a murder-suicide. However, two students were also critically wounded. Prayers for their recovery, for the repentance of the killer at the last moment, and for the families of all and all who mourn the dead. Prayers, too, for the other students, who must have been traumatized.

                    Continued prayers for Brittany’s dog, Neo, he probably has cancer.

[...]

                    The Church approves religious rules. This and the fact that canonized

                    Saints have lived under our Holy Rule are  the basis for asserting