Holy Rule for Apr. 4

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2004

      Prayers, please, for a troubled marriage on the brink of divorce, also for Michael Loughlin, 40, a young father of 6 children under 11, he was killed in a car accident, prayers, too, for his wife and family. Prayers, too, for Mary Frances, infection in face and jaw after tooth extraction, with multiple complications, and for her Oblate Mom, Anne Marie, who asked. Prayers, too, for the Coptic Christians of Egypt, a minority in a Muslim country, said to be suffering a lot of persecution for their faith. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent! Thanks so much. JL

      April 4, August 4, December 4

      Chapter 53: On the Reception of Guests

      Let all guests who arrive be received like Christ,
      for He is going to say,
      "I came as a guest, and you received Me" (Matt. 25:35).
      And to all let due honor be shown,
      especially to the domestics of the faith and to pilgrims.

      As soon as a guest is announced, therefore,
      let the Superior or the brethren meet him
      with all charitable service.
      And first of all let them pray together,
      and then exchange the kiss of peace.
      For the kiss of peace should not be offered
      until after the prayers have been said,
      on account of the devil's deceptions.

      In the salutation of all guests, whether arriving or departing,
      let all humility be shown.
      Let the head be bowed
      or the whole body prostrated on the ground
      in adoration of Christ, who indeed is received in their persons.

      After the guests have been received and taken to prayer,
      let the Superior or someone appointed by him sit with them.
      Let the divine law be read before the guest for his edification,
      and then let all kindness be shown him.
      The Superior shall break his fast for the sake of a guest,
      unless it happens to be a principal fast day
      which may not be violated.
      The brethren, however, shall observe the customary fasts.
      Let the Abbot give the guests water for their hands;
      and let both Abbot and community wash the feet of all guests.
      After the washing of the feet let them say this verse:
      "We have received Your mercy, O God,
      in the midst of Your temple" (Ps.47:10).

      In the reception of the poor and of pilgrims
      the greatest care and solicitude should be shown,
      because it is especially in them that Christ is received;
      for as far as the rich are concerned,
      the very fear which they inspire
      wins respect for them.

      REFLECTION

      So much is written about Benedictine hospitality that I thought,
      after over six years as guestmaster, I'd write about some of the
      things it is NOT, since people sometimes seem confused by this. Yes,
      we are told to receive all as Christ, but at the onset a salient
      difference or two between Christ Himself and the guests becomes
      evident. Christ was sinless, Christ was not a threat to others,
      Christ was perfect in mind and body and soul.

      One of the first things that happened when the care of the guesthouse
      was entrusted to me was the receipt of a list of people who in no way
      were ever to be accepted again. For one reason or another, the
      community absolutely did not want them here again. A few- very few-
      more have added themselves to that list in my time. It is useful to
      note that in every case these people put either themselves or others
      or both at risk for one reason or another. There were some the
      monastics were downright afraid of, others whom other guests would
      have feared had they only known.

      One absolutely stunned into silence an entire group of retreatants of
      which she was not a member by an outburst of verbally violent abuse
      and belligerence that none had seen coming at all. She really ruined
      the retreat for them, destroyed everyone's peace and the peace of the
      house. Everyone walked on eggs for the rest of the weekend. Sorry,
      doesn't happen here twice.

      Another guest used to come here on the bus immediately after
      discharge from psychiatric facilities. He was a potential violence
      threat and would stop taking his meds on discharge, thinking he could
      come to the monastery and "get it all together." Obviously,
      disastrously, what happened was quite the reverse and we finally had
      to say that we would never accept him again without the opportunity
      and freedom to speak with his psychiatrist. He has not been back. We
      were not at all doing him any good, we were actually helping him harm
      himself. Couldn't do that.

      Far short of the psychotic, there comes a time in human relationships
      when we are obliged to stop enabling harm to oneself or to others.
      There comes a time when dysfunction must be named and not embraced.
      This is where all of us come in, not just the guesthouse. People can
      become toxic to each other. The fact that they may be unwell is
      sometimes no more of a moral issue than the young man off meds. He
      was truly sick, but I had two elderly ladies on retreat in the house
      that I couldn't explain that to. Sick, while informative, was not the
      deciding factor. So it often is with dysfunction, too. Being unwell
      in any degree does not involve an unlimited license to harm.

      One can demonstrate this principle clearly by going even a notch
      above the guesthouse: come to join the monastery addicted to
      disrupting the peace and you will be escorted out, probably well
      before vows. People do not enjoy Benedictine hospitality as an always
      and everywhere right. As in any human area, the rights of others must
      be considered and sometimes decisively so. A monastery is a haven of
      peace, but it has to take steps to ensure that it remains that for as
      many as possible.

      One of those steps is the hospitality of saying "No more." It is not easy,
      it cannot be done hastily, but it is loving. I can tell you from experience
      that those hearing the "no more" will quite often rail at it and at you, terming
      you un-Christian, un-Benedictine and worse.That's hard to take, but don't buckle.
      A lot of discernment is required before one gets to this point, but when one
      sadly does, courage and strength are also necessary. As Dorothy Day so
      often said, "Love is a harsh and dreadful thing to ask of us, of each of us,
      but it is the only answer."

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2006

        Sorry to be so late today, will not be able to acknowledge most prayer requests individually, so please forgive me.

        Prayers for our Brother Isidore, on his feast day, please! Ad multos annos.

        Prayers, please, for Joy, still on life support, but not responding. Prayers for a relationship that resulted in a lot of conflicted pain for all involved, for healing and spiritual health for all. Prayers for Anthony, child custody court date tomorrow. Prayers for Leo, ill with complications from chemo and for Jane, his wife. Prayers for Jimmie, battling multiple myeloma for 7-8 years and now cancerous spots have showed up on his kidneys, adrenal glands and lungs, CAT scan today or tomorrow, and for his wife and family. Prayers for Joyce and her husband, a host of household disasters have assailed them of late, a very tough year for them.

        Lord, helps us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        after over nine years as guestmaster, I'd write about some of the
[...]

        People can become toxic to each other. To admit this is not to say that an
        irremediable rift must ensue, sometimes it is only a temporary distancing
        till things (or persons!) improve. As Christians, permanent rifts must be only
        our last resort, and even then we must continue to pray for the person.

        The fact that they may be unwell is sometimes no more of a moral issue
        than the young man off meds. He was truly sick, but I had two elderly ladies
        on retreat to whom I couldn't explain that. Sick, while informative, was not the

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2007

          Prayers, please, for our Brother Isidore, on his feastday, ad multos annos,
          many years and many graces!

          Prayers for Joanna, who died suddenly, for her happy death and eternal rest
          and for all her family and those who mourn her, especially her cousin,
          Richard, to whom she was very close. Richard is our Oblate who has painted most of
          our guesthouse for us and is here with us for Holy Week. It was a sad phone
          call to have to pass on to him. Prayers for a special intention of one who is
          storming heaven, he is praying especially to St. Joseph, for those inclined to
          join him in that. Prayers for two depressives who are refusing to seek
          treatment, which they badly need.

          Prayers for Bill, surgery yesterday for kidney cancer, all went well his
          family is hopeful for good results. His Mom, Lib, for whom we have prayed in the
          past, has already outlived 2 of her 11 children, so this is a very crushing
          blow for her. Prayers for Bill, for Lib, and all their family, as well as the
          folks caring for Bill and all our prayer intentions in body, mind or spirit.
          May God guide and reward them all!

          Deo gratias and thanks, Lisa, for whom we prayed, passed her nursing board
          exam! Deo gratias, too, for Fr. Brendan, his stress test was negative for
          cardiac problems, also for Tom's Mom, who came through her knee replacement
          surgery very well. Continued prayers for her recovery, please. Prayers for Connie,
          in a fundraising walk for Liver Cancer and for her cousin, Roland, who has
          liver cancer and on whose behalf she is walking. Prayers for Mark, emotionally
          distraught and facing an exam that could make him pass or fail a math course
          he badly needs, and for his Dad, who asked. (For any so inclined, St. Joseph
          of Cupertino is the patron of students taking exams, a prayer to him would
          be very appreciated.) Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2008

            Ang, problems with her pregnancy and not due till August, also for Deb, her mother-in-law.

            Brian, seeking work.

            6 Israeli high school students hospitalized and still recovering

            Deo gratias for Robert, whose broken elbows we prayed for, he is doing very well.

            A., seeking an annulment in order to join the Catholic Church, family opposition and other problems complicate the matter, but God can do all!