Holy Rule for Apr. 3

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Peg Gawne-Mark and her family. Her 84 year old
      Mom fell down stairs and injured herself badly, her son-in-law threw
      his knee out and is awaiting surgery next week, and her daughter is
      having ferility surgery later this month. A lot to pray for as Peg
      goes to help her Mom! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.
      Thanks so much! JL

      April 3, August 3, December 3
      Chapter 52: On the Oratory of the Monastery

      Let the oratory be what it is called, a place of prayer;
      and let nothing else be done there or kept there.
      When the Work of God is ended,
      let all go out in perfect silence,
      and let reverence for God be observed,
      so that any sister who may wish to pray privately
      will not be hindered by another's misconduct.
      And at other times also,
      if anyone should want to pray by herself,
      let her go in simply and pray,
      not in a loud voice but with tears and fervor of heart.
      She who does not say her prayers in this way, therefore,
      shall not be permitted to remain in the oratory
      when the Work of God is ended,
      lest another be hindered, as we have said.

      REFLECTION

      Would to God that the oratories of our hearts were as easy to keep
      clean as those of our monasteries! Having been sacristan, in my
      youth, of the large and lovely Abbey Church at St. Leo, FL, I can
      assure you that Benedictines tend to be very good about this part of
      the Holy Rule. One usually gets a Church in good condition and it is
      not too hard to keep it that way. In fact, doing so was only one of
      my several charges at the time!

      Ah, but those cardiac oratories! How easily they can get cluttered
      and more or less stay that way! God alone knows how many times I have
      written books or articles, essays or posts in mid-prayer, how many
      times I have "capably and completely" reformed Order or monastery,
      Church, liturgy or world! I certainly hope He isn't counting too
      closely, and I have a fair certainty that He isn't. One of the Desert
      Fathers said that, if God counts distractions in psalmody, no one
      could be saved!

      The aim is good, beloveds, but about the time I envision my heart
      dancing in pure prayer like Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse in the
      moonlit park, Jerome's Jezebel of a heart petulantly clumps out in a
      sleazy mini-skirt, fishnet stockings and stiletto heels. My jaded
      streetwalker of a heart is the easy and willing prey of a wide field
      of distractions and infidelities! Jerome's Jezebel is a harlot
      floozy, indeed!

      But, m'dears, and hopefully to lesser degree than my own, ALL of our
      hearts have that Jezebel lurking within, dying to be asked to dance,
      dancing alone, if need be! No smooth sophistication of a foxtrot to
      Ella Fitzgerald singing Cole Porter for us. Nope! Many times, the
      best we can do is stumble about disorientedly to a musically barren
      gangsta rap, whose harsh dissonance and strident attacks of
      percussion all too closely mirror our chaotic world.

      Calm down! The Divine Aim of our poor hearts is their Author and
      Maker. Better than anyone and FAR better than ourselves, He knows the
      limitations of His creations! How often God must be like a tender and
      loving and delighted Mother who trys with all Her might to keep from
      laughing at a child's graceless attempts at being exquisite grace.

      Truly, in many a stumbling child there is GREAT poetry in motion, but
      not at all in the way that the child THINKS there is! So it is with
      God and ourselves. Relax, therefore, and rejoice! Again I say,
      rejoice! The great and merciful God flat out delights in our efforts
      and knows from the start that we shall be far more like funny home
      videos than the best and most tasteful films ever produced. Funny how
      we often lack the humility to see that ourselves! If we seek to gain
      it, Satan, who loves to see us despondent and discouraged, will be
      trounced but good.

      It is our efforts which delight God, not our results. He knows that
      the results we seek are far beyond many of us. The more clearly we
      come to know that, the more adequate our sense of our own abject
      poverty of skills, the greater our peace shall be. And in that peace
      we shall find God, the loving parent on Whose long-suffering insteps
      we tiptoe and dance, in Whose tender arms we swoon like children
      dreaming of a grand ballroom with mirrors!

      Oh, yeah, ESPECIALLY the mirrors part!!

      Love and prayers and a foxtrot or two!
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2005

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Pope John Paul II. That may seem redundant, with millions already praying, but even when millions pray, our own prayers let us have a share in the good that God is always doing, and, in this instance, a share in the good done by this remarkable Pope. Prayers, too, for newly weds Sara and Max and their 3 months premature son, Max, Jr., that his struggle to thrive and gain strength is successful. Prayers for Julie, a wonderful mother and her kids: a lot of stress right now and she needs rest. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much! JL

[...]

        loving and delighted Mother who tries with all Her might to keep from

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2006

          Prayers, please for a widowed Mom of two grown sons, 54, just diagnosed with colon cancer and spots on her liver. Prayers for her mother-in-law, who is coming to help her out, also for her grandson, for whose Hodgkin's we prayed last year, doing great, but too soon to call it remission. Deo gratias for him and ardent prayers for Mom and Grandmom. Prayers for Bob, brain tumor, very weak from chemo and radiation, and for his wife, small in stature but tall in bravery caring for him, for spiritual and physical strength for them both. For another Bob, needs a liver transplant, suffering wild moods swings from hepatic encephalopathy and unwilling to treat them, very hard on him and his wife. For a woman trying to care for her Mom, who has Alzheimer's and macular degeneration. Understandable anxiety is overwhelming the caretaking daughter, and meds and therapy have not helped thus far. Prayers for her and her Mom.

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Oblate Dennis, who died this morning, and for Robbie, his family and all who mourn him. Prayers for Mother Claudia and for her Mom, who is ill with liver cancer and an uncertain prognosis. Prayers for C., that the right therapist and therapy emerge for her severe depression. Lord, hep us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          rejoice! Our great and merciful God flat out delights in our efforts

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007

            Prayers, please, for Joe, his driver's license is missing and he is
            seriously stressed out. Prayers for Julia and for her husband, who is having
            neurological problems: numbness in hands and feet, blood in spinal column, no
            diagnosis yet. Prayers for Shelli, that the Lord leads her to peace and good works
            as she leaves the work-a-day world and that her anxiety levels lower.

            Prayers for Solange, 18, who is suffering from Lupus for a little over 5
            years now. Her kidneys are failing, she had to drop out of college and she just
            started chemotherapy last week. Prayers for all her family, too. Prayers for
            a troubled family and marriage, one spouse using the children against the
            other. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008

              Prayers of Deo gratias and many years for Sal, brand new Oblate novice of St. Andrew's Abbey, Valyermo.

              Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Jim.

              Prayers, too, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

              Edna, terminal breast cancer.

              Al, severe heart disease.