Holy Rule for Apr. 2

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2 5:50 AM

      Prayers, please, for Bernie, K., who had a stroke, for Cas, who had
      surgery yesterday, for Mechel, seeking a job where she can move
      nearer her family, who can be a big help to her in many ways, for
      Linda J., with a rare and debilitating neurological disease, and
      prayers of thanks for Nataliya, who went through her surgery fine!
      God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. Thanks so much! JL

      April 2, August 2, December 2
      Chapter 51: On Brethren Who Go Not Very Far Away

      A Brother who is sent out on some business
      and is expected to return to the monastery that same day
      shall not presume to eat while he is out,
      even if he is urgently requested to do so
      by any person whomsoever,
      unless he has permission from his Abbot.
      And if he acts otherwise, let him be excommunicated.

      REFLECTION

      Coming right on the heels of the prescription to say the Office while
      away, it is easy to see that these two chapters are not just about
      eating and praying. The principle involved here is that one's
      monastic commitment does not switch off when one leaves the property.
      It is there all the time.

      Parents can identify with this readily. Children are not told to
      avoid drugs only at home. The moral values that parents try to
      instill are a way of life that (hopefully!) will be carried with the
      child in every situation. My high school promised that students who
      failed our standards AFTER school hours, on the way home, would be
      punished. If they were wearing our uniform, they were expected to
      reflect a certain standard of behavior.

      What St. Benedict is doing is pointing out that monasticism is not
      merely a job, a burden one doffs and dons. Monastic life is a
      becoming, not a set of standards one only follows when one is closely
      watched. The goal of monastic discipline is to make the disciple a
      monk more or less by nature. In this respect, it closely resembles
      any training: nursing school is designed to make people nurses, law
      school to make attorneys, and so forth. The difference is that
      monasticism is not a set number of hours per week, it's all the week,
      all the life. Just as any nurse in a disaster instantly can shift
      into nursing mode, whether on duty or not, the spiritually trained
      monastic is operative everywhere, not just in the cloister.

      This is a fine and consoling point for Oblates who must live abroad.
      Lovely though our monasteries may be, they are not what makes us
      monastics. That is something deep within, a cloister of our hearts
      that we must learn to carry with us everywhere. Lots of people who
      must live in crowded and noisy cities actually do a better job of
      this than many monastics who live in rural peace. Take heart! It is
      not all about place. It is about heart, always heart. Train and fix
      your heart and you will always be fine!

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2 6:09 AM

          Continued prayers for Pauline, ML list's Amma, who apparently remains hospitalized. No recent updates available.

          Prayers, please, for Maria and her niece, who has possible terminal cancer. The niece lives in India and Marie is flying to visit her. Marie has serious back problems and a lot of pain and having to sit for such a long flight is very problematic for her, so prayers for them both. Prayers for two young boys, Purvis and Quadrevion, missing without a trace for more than a week now, no leads at all, and for their worried parents and families. Prayers for a woman thinking about having a fourth abortion, may God's will alone be done. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Toby, for his sister-in-law Miki, who asked, and for all his family.

          Prayers for Bruno Witchalls, brother-in-law of Abigail, the young mother in England who was stabbed and paralyzed for whom we prayed. Bruno will be ordained to the diaconate in May, a step closer to the priesthood, and Abigail and her family plan to be there for the happy day. Abigail, pregnant when attacked, delivered a healthy baby in spite of her paralysis, nearly a year ago now I suppose. Deo gratias!

          Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for TomKay's Mom, well on the road- nay, the Autobahn/Interstate!- to recovery, doing at least 95 mph! Tom is delighted with her progress and she is doing wonderfully well. Likewise, Lois, for whom we prayed, has had a wonderful, cancer-free result from her x-ray exam. She reported feeling supported and surrounded by our prayers. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1 8:25 PM

            Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Gigi Corrigan, a
            graduate of Holy Name Academy and St. Leo College, FL. She went to God after a
            year of illness. May she rest in peace. Prayers for all who mourn her, too.

            Prayers, please, for Pat, having her left knee replaced in surgery this
            morning, prayers, too, for her husband, and for Tom, her son. May they help her
            heal and recover quickly! Prayers for A., worried she's not doing a good job
            for God when she really is! Being worried is a good sign: it is proof we care!
            Prayers for Sr. John Aquin, who broke her hip last September and for her
            continued recovery. God is outside of time and I only learned of her injury
            today. Mercifully, she is well on the mend, but our prayers can still help! Lord,

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1 8:50 AM

              NOTE: OWING TO SOME GLITCH IN MY OTHER E MAIL PROGRAM, NONE OF MY REPLIES TO PRAYER INTENTIONS WENT OUT AND I HAVE TOO MANY TO CUT AND PASTE ALL INTO THIS SERVER. HENCE, PLEASE ACCEPT THE APPEARANCE OF THE YOUR INTENTIONS IN THE LIST AS A REPLY. MEA NON CULPA.... JL

              Deo gratias for Sr. M. Joseph on her profession.

              Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of the following and for all who mourn them:

              Eileen, who seems to be nearing death, comatose after a stroke, also that peace will prevail among her 8 children.

              Clara, age 98, died peacefully last Wednesday. Her sister-in-law, Michelle, needs prayers, as this was the last tie to her husband who died unexpectedly last November. She is feeling left alone, as seeing Clara was part of her “new normal” life.

              Prayers for the spiritual, mental and phsyical health of the following, for all their loved ones and for for all who take care of them:

              Karen, who is having surgery for a perforated colon this afternoon. She and her husband Bob are outstanding people and friends to many. In particular, that peritonitis not become an issue!

              For GodSpace, the religious bookstore that Claudia started 2 years ago. Business has not increased to anything close to a level to cover overhead. A miracle is needed here.

              Ann, feeling blue for a few days after her son's visit ended, and for his safe travel.

              Stacey, bipolar and gone missing, her husband and her 8 children are understandably terribly distressed.

              Prayers please for Teresa, who has been experiencing anxiety attacks and claustrophobia lately, probably due to meds. she was on.

              Prayers for Karen, having gastric bypass surgery on 15 April!

              Prayers of conversion for Mo, sexually active and with herpes.