Holy Rule for Mar. 31

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2004
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Fred and Linda Vizzi, for Jeanie and for Br.
      Clarence of St. Leo, who is elderly and ailing badly. Prayers of
      thanks: the man with the aortic repair for whom we prayed is doing
      well. Deo gratias! God's will is best, all is mercy and grace. Thanks
      so much! JL

      March 31, July 31, November 30
      Chapter 49: On the Observance of Lent

      Although the life of a monk
      ought to have about it at all times
      the character of a Lenten observance,
      yet since few have the virtue for that,
      we therefore urge that during the actual days of Lent
      the brethren keep their lives most pure
      and at the same time wash away during these holy days
      all the negligences of other times.
      And this will be worthily done
      if we restrain ourselves from all vices
      and give ourselves up to prayer with tears,
      to reading, to compunction of heart and to abstinence.

      During these days, therefore,
      let us increase somewhat the usual burden of our service,
      as by private prayers and by abstinence in food and drink.
      Thus everyone of his own will may offer God
      "with joy of the Holy Spirit" (1 Thess. 1:6)
      something above the measure required of him.
      From his body, that is
      he may withhold some food, drink, sleep, talking and jesting;
      and with the joy of spiritual desire
      he may look forward to holy Easter.

      Let each one, however, suggest to his Abbot
      what it is that he wants to offer,
      and let it be done with his blessing and approval.
      For anything done without the permission of the spiritual father
      will be imputed to presumption and vainglory
      and will merit no reward.
      Therefore let everything be done with the Abbot's approval.

      REFLECTION

      St. Benedict uses the term "ought" to express the fact that a
      monastic life is, by rights, one full-time Lent. Though "ought"
      and "should" are commonly used as identical terms these days, they
      are not synonymous. "Should" expresses a wish, "I should like some
      coffee." "Ought" expresses a moral issue or obligation, "We ought to
      help that woman."

      In his use of the stronger, moral term, St. Benedict acknowledges
      that a monastic's life is truly an obligation to a perpetual Lent.
      Then he goes on to make one of his most sweepingly gentle and kind
      allowances for human nature: "yet, since few have the virtue for
      that..." The beauty of his adaptation is often lost, people quoting
      only the first line of the chapter, reading it as pointing to a Lent
      that never ends. Slangily put, what our holy Father is saying here
      is: "OK, in a real world, monastics ought to live Lent all the time,
      but since few of us can pull that off, let's shoot for pouring it all
      on during Lent itself." That's a very different sentiment!

      Benedictines have been known for many things, but harsh, physical
      austerity, especially during the last several centuries, has not been
      one of them. Sometimes in the past I think that has given some of us
      a slight inferiority complex, since the world tends to rank Orders in
      terms of their strictness, wrongly assuming that monastic life is
      some kind of Olympics of penance. Happy the Benedictine who has no
      such hang-ups! We are moderate and gentle, therein is our strength.

      We are not the elite special forces of the Church nor do we pretend
      to be. We leave the superstar status claims firmly alone. Quietly, we
      know with surety that the local also-rans of the Church often do just
      as well as any others, without all the fanfare! There is a certain
      humility in our not even wishing to get involved in that "stricter-
      than-thou" business. It is futile in more ways than one; even if we
      could win it, it would not be valid. The Christian monastic's life is
      not about trophies in harshness.

      So, yeah, we balance, always balance. We moderate. That is our gift
      from our Father Benedict. Enjoy that to the full, dear brothers and
      sisters. We belong to a gentle and loving family!

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2006
        +PAX

        Continued prayers for Joy, still on life support, but apparently stable.

        Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Phil. who has died after a long illness, for his three sons, his nephew, Doug, and all his family and those who mourn him. Prayers for Fr. Hugo, severe bronchitis, and for Marie, elderly, wheelchair-bound and in a lot of pain, also continued prayers for Fr. Brendan, fibromyalgia. Prayers for a very difficult family situation: elderly mother refuses to enter a hospice for 24/7 care she needs, thus her two sons and their families must take turns on night duties, which are not covered. A lot of family tension about her care needs badly to be resolved. Prayers for Tony, seeking to get into a specialized magnet school, [overseas readers, magnet schools in the U.S. are those which offer a special concentration in areas like arts or science or math,] and for Virginia, severe shoulder pain and arthritis and for Maryanne, bone cancer. Prayers for Rachel, continued recovery from her craniotomy, also she had a bad fall which has left her with a cast on her left foot and in bed at home most of the time. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        March 31, July 31, November 30
        Chapter 49: On the Observance of Lent

        Although the life of a monk
        ought to have about it at all times
        the character of a Lenten observance,
        yet since few have the virtue for that,
        we therefore urge that during the actual days of Lent
        the brethren keep their lives most pure
        and at the same time wash away during these holy days
        all the negligences of other times.
        And this will be worthily done
        if we restrain ourselves from all vices
        and give ourselves up to prayer with tears,
        to reading, to compunction of heart and to abstinence.

        During these days, therefore,
        let us increase somewhat the usual burden of our service,
        as by private prayers and by abstinence in food and drink.
        Thus everyone of his own will may offer God
        "with joy of the Holy Spirit" (1 Thess. 1:6)
        something above the measure required of him.
        From his body, that is

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 2007
          +PAX

          Prayers for Sr. Lany Jo and the kids in her youth group as they prepare to
          present their Living Stations of the Cross program on Palm Sunday. May they
          touch many hearts and open them to many graces, may God fill them as well, as
          they endeavor to fill others! Deo gratias prayers for their benefit road race,
          which went extremely well! Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias: the contract
          negotiations we prayed for went well, also prayers of Deo gratias for a
          permanent position offered to one who needed it badly!

          Prayers for a depressive who resist taking meds and needs them. Continued
          prayers for the happy death of Carol, still hanging on to life, but sinking, and
          for her friend, Joan, who has to leave to care for her sister in another
          state. Carol is all but sure to die whiole she is away. Prayers, too, for Joan's
          sister, who broke her hip.

          Prayers for Kevan, mini-stroke like episodes of uncertain cause, and that he
          have patience with the tedious and drawn out deliberations of his doctors. He
          has to wait till May for one consult, so prayers for him and his doctors, as
          well as for all the folks who care for all our prayer intentions in body,
          mind or spirit. Prayers for Mark, trying to finish his doctorate, and for his
          wife, Rosemary, recovering from emergency gall bladder surgery. Their small
          son, Ethan, had the flu and the water in their home went off for a while, all
          in the same two weeks. Prayers for them all! Lord, help us all as You know and
[...]

          From his body, that is

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30, 2008

            Don looking for work.
            A couple whose marriage is in trouble and their son who is hurting in the process.
            Vince, sciatica, depression, arthritis and lower back pain syndrome.
[...]

            From his body, that is

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 30, 2016
              +PAX

              Francis X. N. asks for prayers that the special Veterans' project on which
              he has been working gets renewed funding for the next 3-5 years. This will
              enable him to have a full-time telecommuting position during the time it
              takes for his wife to finish med school.

              Karen for whom we prayed, did not qualify as a donor for the kidney
              transplant. Now the family is hoping that one of Sean's brothers will be
              eligible.

              They are praying for an eligible donor and a successful surgery with a
              working kidney.

              Prayers for all the victims and injured in the terrorist bombing in Lahore,
              Pakistan, especially Naahem, and for all their families and for the
              repentance of the attackers.

              Prayers for Mary and her husband, a very severely troubled marriage.

              Prayers for Sammy, a seminarian in Africa, a vocation panel will be deciding
              if he can continue or not. Prayers for him and all his classmates who are
              awaiting news.

              Prayers for Kathy S., cancer.

              Prayers for Betty H., very ill, not doing well.

              Prayers for Milan, diverticulitis.

[...]

              From his body, that is
[...]

              terms of their strictness. Happy the Benedictine who has no

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 30

                +PAX

                Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Felipe Altamirano Carillo, murdered in Mexico during an apparent robbery, and for the recovery of those with him who were injured. Prayers for the families of all and for the conversion of the robbers.

                Prayers for Anthony, special intention.

                Prayers for safe travel and a pleasant stay for Jessica and Samuel.

                Prayers for peace in Syria and for all those persecuted there, as well as for the conversion of the persecutors.

                Prayers for peace in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Catholic bishops have withdrawn from negotiating peace talks there.

[...]

                From his body, that is
[...]

                humility in not even wishing to get involved in that "stricter-
                than-thou" business.