Holy Rule for Mar. 27

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 27, 2004
      +PAX

      Prayers for John, a young man who died from an overdose and for his family.
      Also, for the repose of the soul of Bernie and for his family. God's will is best.
      All is mercy and grace. Thanks so much. JL

      March 27, July 27, November 26
      Chapter 47: On Giving the Signal for the Time of the Work of God

      The indicating of the hour for the Work of God
      by day and by night
      shall devolve upon the Abbot
      either to give the signal himself
      or to assign this duty to such a careful brother
      that everything will take place at the proper hours.

      Let the Psalms and the antiphons be intoned
      by those who are appointed for it,
      in their order after the Abbot.
      And no one shall presume to sing or read
      unless he can fulfill that office
      in such a way as to edify the hearers.
      Let this function be performed
      with humility, gravity and reverence,
      and by him whom the Abbot has appointed.

      REFLECTION

      A quickie here that applies to all, in monastery or out. It sometimes
      happens that we desire a job we ought not to have. It sometimes
      happens that we get a job that is too much for us and realize that in
      the midst of things. These are times for the great truthfulness of
      humility, to either stop seeking the task in question or to frankly
      admit that we cannot do it as it should be done.

      Such honesty is hard, to be sure. Our hearts get in the way. We are
      attached to things which are in themselves good, but which would not
      be good for us. Not everyone would make a great parent, but there are
      plenty of people who want to be badly, whether in fact they would be
      good at it or not! Whoops! Tough on the kid there! There are also
      people who would be superb parents who cannot be, yet another
      thing to be accepted truthfully.

      Anyone who has ever seen karaoke or open mike night or a piano bar
      knows that MANY who would love to be cabaret singers are far from
      that! What are hearts call us to is not always true, alas! Perhaps
      most of us have also known people who would have been fantastic
      spouses who are quite inexplicably alone.

      A big part of discerning here is careful, frank self-examination and
      self-knowledge. Another huge piece of the puzzle is looking at where
      we REALLY are and where God has presumably placed us. Not everything
      is open to every age, place or time. Were I to decide that I
      absolutely HAD to become a flamingo farmer in central New England,
      the flamingoes would be MOST unhappy by next December or so, and most
      likely dead by February! See what I mean?

      Because our hearts are involved, there is pain when the thing desired
      is not for us. That is hard, beloveds, but pain need not be futile or
      useless. Unite your pains to those of Christ and His Mystical Body,
      to those of His Passion that all of us help bear throughout the rest
      of time. Then the Father will see only His beloved Son when He looks
      at us. Then the world will be somehow better and helped by our
      suffering, mute and unknown. Nothing is wasted with God and His
      Divine Mercy. Nothing! Nothing at all!

      Love and prayers and don't waste suffering, y'all!

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 27, 2005
        +PAX

        A blessed Easter to all who keep it on this date. And let us pray that we live to see the day when all Christians, East and West, can share at least a common date for this holy feast. [My personal vote would be that the West embrace the Eastern date. No harm in taking the first step!]

        It is most unusual that no special intentions have arrived for today, but perhaps Providential. (Of course, we ought to keep Terry Schiavo and all our former intentions in our Easter prayers.) That gives me the opportunity to say how strikingly in my heart and mind and prayers all of you were during last night's Paschal Vigil. Of course I intended to pray for all our Holy Rule readers, but I did not foresee how intense the experience would be for me. So there you were, beloveds, and there were all our intentions, rising to the surface in my heart over and over again. I felt deeply connected to you all, even those I have never met. But I also had the joy of having 6 of our readers as part of our large and joyous guesthouse family last night and this morning. Deo gratias: for them and for all of you! You have all become a truly large part of my life, my prayers and my spirituality. I owe God deeply for the gift of you all! Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much! JL

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 27, 2006
          +PAX

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Sr. Mary Frances' Dad, Morgan, who died last night with his family surrounding him and for Sister Mary Frances, for her Mom, all their family.

          Prayers, please, for Donna, chronic headaches for many years, not responding to any treatment, for her doctors and for her Mom, Anneke. May God give Donna comfort and strength, and the grace to offer her difficult pain for others. Prayers for Ed, congestive heart failure, on hospice care, for Lucy, his wife and for all their family. Prayers for Raymond, quite ill, and for his wife, Sarah, daughter Mary and all their family, that they may face his illness together with grace. Prayers for DomJohn, home from his surgery and recovering nicely, Deo gratias!

          Prayers for J., multiple serious stresses, and for his girlfriend, who was raped recently. That and his work situation is driving him very close to a breakdown. Serious prayers for him. Jude, for whom we prayed, is recovering nicely from her hysterectomy, Deo gratias! Sandra, for whom we prayed, is back to her old self and looking forward to the possibility of less stressful employment in the near future, again, thanks be to God, the Source of our every good.

          Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          A very significant postscript to all this: it is ourselves we should be
          looking at. Rarely, if ever, should we feel called upon to deliver such a
          message of being out of place to another. There are superiors and
          bosses for that in most instances, and self-appointed arbiters of
          anything at all are quite frequently a pitiable lot, spiritually speaking.

          Love and prayers and don't waste suffering, y'all!

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 26, 2007
            +PAX

            Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of LouAnn, of Monastic Life
            list, who has gone to God. Prayers, too, for her Husband, Ken, her sister Amanda
            and all their family, and all who mourn her.

            Continued prayers for Bailey, the child for whom we prayed, she remains in
            the hospital till Wednesday and cultures have still not come back. Prayers,
            please, for Fr. Mike Straley, entering St. Andrew's Abbey to try his vocation as
            a monk, prayers for the perfect will of God for him and for his parish, as
            they await a new pastor. Prayers, please, for Larry who is still looking for a
            job, and for Terry, who is had a tumor removed near her kidney yesterday.
            Prayers for Carol and her cat, Smokey, who hasn't been well. In this time of
            toxic pet food recalls, all pet lovers will know how anxious she must be,
            extra prayers to St Francis!

            Prayers for Cindy and Jim, both are facing imminent death from cancers that
            have spread quickly, for their happy deaths and eternal rest and for all their
            families and friends who will mourn them. Prayers for the professionals
            treating them and all our prayer folks: may God guide their hands and hearts and
            reward them richly! Prayers for Georgina, diagnosed with viral meningitis,
            but no improvement, having her fourth spinal tap and these come with some risks
            of their own, to say nothing of the pain. Lord, help us all as You know and
[...]

            that! What our hearts call us to is not always true, alas! Perhaps
            most of us have also known people who would have been fantastic
            spouses who are quite inexplicably alone.

            A big part of discerning here is careful, frank self-examination and
            self-knowledge. Another huge piece of the puzzle is looking at where
            we REALLY are and where God has presumably placed us. Not everything
            is open to every age, place or time. Were I to decide that I
            absolutely HAD to become a flamingo farmer in central New England,
            the flamingoes would be MOST unhappy by next December or so, and most
            likely all dead by February! See what I mean?

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
              +PAX

              Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Tim, who died of prostate cancer, for all his family and all who mourn him.

              Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Eva, slipping closer to comatose, and for all her family, especially Dave.

              Prayers for Rob, who fell and broke both elbows and is in a lot pain.

              Prayers for Br. Clement Rees, a new novice at St. Leo Abbey, and for Br. Christopher Thomas, planning to make solemn vows on the Feast of St. Benedict. Deo gratias and multos annos to both! Lord, help us all as You know and

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 26, 2016
                +PAX

                A most blessed Solemnity of the Resurrection to all who are celebrating it
                this day! Prayers, too, for our Eastern brothers and sisters who will be
                celebrating it later. Prayers that we may come to see the day when all
                Christians agree to a common means of setting the date to celebrate
                together.

                In January and February we prayed for Brigitte's mom who was in a medically
                induced coma and on a respirator for two weeks. She is all better, She's
                home, no oxygen needed, no walker needed! She's back 100%, Deo gratias and
                prayers of thanks. This truly was nothing short of a miracle. Thanks to all
                who prayed.

                Prayers for the eternal rest of Colton, 22, killed in a car accident on Good
                Friday. He was an only child, so this is particularly hard on his family,
                prayers for them and form all who mourn him.

                Prayers for Tim's vocation.

                Prayers for Sr. Mary Paula and Sr. M. Emmanuel and her Mom and all their
                families.

                Prayers for Fr. Michael, OSB, scheduled to be celebrant for the Paschal
                Vigil and coming down with flu-like symptoms.

                A most blessed Solemnity of the Resurrection to all who are celebrating it
                this day! Prayers, too, for our Eastern brothers and sisters who will be
                celebrating it later. Prayers that we may come to see the day when all
                Christians agree to a common means of setting the date to celebrate
                together.

                Please pray for the happy death of Sadie, who has been given 2 months to
                live with an aggressive cancer throughout her body. Please pray that God
                will bless her with His peace and take away the fear she has throughout and
                that her family will stay close with her.

                Please pray for healing for Bradley John, who was born 2 1/2 months
                premature. He has a grade 3 hemorrhage and the doctors feel he has a strong
                chance of having cerebral palsy because of it. He is in desperate need of
                prayers, as well as his parents and grandparents, who must witness this
                suffering of a very tiny member of Gods family.

                Prayers for the eternal repose of the soul of Katie, a young mother; and
                prayers for all of her surviving family , parents, 6 siblings, her daughter
                and for all who mourn her.

                Please continue prayers for Dan, for whom we prayed after his aorta surgery.
                He is back in the hospital for heart complications.

[...]

                many of us have also known people who would have been fantastic
                spouses who are quite inexplicably alone.

                A big part of discerning here is careful, frank self-examination and
                self-knowledge. Another huge piece of the puzzle is looking at where
                we REALLY are and where God has presumably placed us. Not everything
                is open to every age, place or time. Were I to decide that I
                absolutely HAD to become a flamingo farmer in central New England,
                the flamingoes would be MOST unhappy by next December or so, and most
                likely all dead well before February! See what I mean?

                Because our hearts are involved, there is pain when the thing desired
                is not for us. That is hard, beloveds, but pain need not be futile or
                useless. Make the Morning Offering. Unite your pains to those of Christ

                and His Mystical Body, to those of His Passion that all of us in His
                Mystical

                Body may help bear throughout the rest of time. Then the Father will see

                only His beloved Son when He looks at us. Then the world will be somehow

                better and helped by our suffering, mute and unknown. Nothing is wasted

                with God and His Divine Mercy. Nothing! Nothing at all!

                Love and prayers and don't waste suffering, y'all!
                Jerome, OSB
                http://www.stmarysmonastery.org <http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/>

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 26

                  +PAX

                  Prayers for Jeff, his director at work has been let go and the future of his own job is uncertain. Prayers that God directs his future and protects him, prayers for God’s will about his job.

                  Prayers for the eternal rest of Ed, and for Edith, his wife, and all their family and all who mourn him. Prayers, too, for RoseAnn, who is anxious to do her very best for Ed and his family when singing at his funeral. Prayers for strength and grace for her.

                  Prayers for a man in Kansas waiting for a heart transplant, and for his wife and all their family.

                  Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, Josh’s Mom was discharged to her home. She has some cardiac issues, but her prognosis is good.

[...]

                  the flamingoes would be MOST unhappy by November or so, and most