Holy Rule for Mar. 23

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Norm, 80, pulmonary fibrosis, in ICU. After his wife died
      at 35, he raised their 6 children alone. Prayers, too, for Bob, bladder cancer,
      and for Irene, a cancer survivor having cataract surgery, also for Sue W. and
      her family. She was just diagnosed with cancer. Prayers, too, for Carol and a
      very difficult family situation. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.
      Thanks so much! JL

      anyone who
      does not come on time
      If then he does not amend,
      and made to eat alone,
      at the verse said after the meal.

      REFLECTION

      It is terribly important for families to eat together. St. Benedict
      knew this 1,500 years ago and things have not changed that much in
      human nature since his time. The links between members are restored
      at a shared meal. Small wonder that Jesus left us a Meal as His
      legacy to remember Him by and to unite us all.

      I can hear the groans from Oblates in families that schedules
      conflict and how can this be possible. I assure you, I do not know,
      especially since I don't know all the ins and outs of anyone's
      personal situation. I do know, however, that a family meal is so
      important that it must be worked into one's life somehow. Once a week
      is better than nothing, but even that is far too little. Every day
      might be out of the picture, but it ought to be the ideal.

      Sometimes we need to get a firm grip on what is most important. That
      might mean we have to help our children get real, as well. Being
      children, they ought not to be expected to have a tool kit capable of
      enabling any and all decisions on their own. I know and love one
      family whose soccer and hockey schedules ruin much of the year. I
      worry about them, I truly do.

      The parents make at least a better than average attempt to go to
      Church, but I am in no way certain that survives either sports
      season. Hey, I know kids get invested and I know it is hard to say
      no, but Sunday? Shot? For most of the year? God can wait, hockey
      can't? Not only is a terrible religious message being given here, but
      a very false message is given to each of the two athletes as well:
      the world revolves around you. Everything stops when you have a game.
      Well, not exactly, nor is that the best idea to turn a kid loose on
      the world with.

      Make no mistake, parents DO form their kids in a religion they care
      about. Unfortunately, if that religion is sports (as it often is in
      Boston, rabidly, frenetically, alas!) the message comes through loud
      and clear. That it continues to be strong in adulthood is evidenced
      by some of the absolutely inane and stupid levels of media coverage
      of certain sports events and figures in the Boston area. Face it, who
      really cares? (Or ought to....) Even our monks who ARE sports fans
      have shaken their heads in wonder at some of the lunacy.

      Weeks and weeks of intense coverage on who will, will not, might or finally did
      buy the Red Sox. Goodness, (anguished hand wringing here,)whatEVER
      shall we do? The real stupidity behind this is the assumption that
      some idiot is going to spend millions and millions of dollars to buy
      a team and forcefully drive it unprofitably into the ground. Get a
      life! People are dumb, but not that dumb. Making things terribly
      serious that are not serious at all is not a sign of balanced health.
      We'd be wary if anyone got that serious about a game of Monopoly, but
      sports are, after all- or should be- a GAME, not reality.

      Reclaiming Sunday is not some hyped up Benedictine idea. It is
      Christian. Our faith itself demands that we get rest and some time
      together, hopefully for prayer! It would seem that, if one was to be
      firm anywhere, on any day of the week, Sunday might be the place to
      start. Frankly, if the child gripes that everyone else does it, this
      would offer a particularly apt time to convey the message that we are
      not like everyone else, nor are we supposed to be. That's part of
      being Christian.

      Heavens, my Jewish friends grew up with a far better
      sense of who they were than many Christian (or post-Christian!) kids
      get today. And their Sabbath (O horror!) was SATURDAY. Now that cut
      into more than a few things. But there was a great, great lesson
      available there for those kids. Pity the ones who missed it.

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 23, 2005

        Prayers, please for David Kozart, who has died, and all his family. Prayers, too, for Verah, entering the Church at the Easter Vigil, that her faith be whole and secure and filled with graces to aid her in the transition to her new life. For Frank, in danger of being laid off and a bit old to re-enter the job market, also for Celine, widowed, suffered a stroke and needed surgery all within the last 15 months. Now her son, Brian, is being deployed to Iraq, so added worries for him and his family. Prayers for them all. For Gina, disabled, and her son, Brennan, multiple problems. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        Weeks and weeks of intense coverage on who might, might not or finally did
        buy the Red Sox baseball team. Goodness, (anguished hand wringing here,)
        whatEVER shall we do? The real stupidity behind this is the assumption that
        someone is going to spend millions and millions of dollars to buy
        a team and forcefully drive it unprofitably into the ground. Get a life! People
        can be dumb, but not that dumb. Making things terribly
        serious that are not serious at all is not a sign of balanced health.
        We'd be wary if anyone got that serious about a game of Monopoly, but
        sports are, after all- or should be- GAMES, not reality.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 23, 2006

          Prayers, please, for Stephanie, beginning divorce proceedings, for Courtney, about to deliver her third child, and for Bob and his recovery and for Anthony, travelling to Virginia. Prayers for Sr. Germaine, severe eye problems, uncertain prognosis, possibly extensive vision loss. Prayers for Tom, undergoing epidural today in hopes of some back pain relief, his pain has been very resistant to medical control. Prayers for John, a college senior majoring in voice who is having serious hearing problems, a frightening matter given his choice of career. Prayers for Pete, for whom we have been praying. Multiple vascular problems leave his continued health a matter very much in question. For his family and doctors, too, that all make the decisions God wants. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          can be dumb, but not that dumb.

          A while back opening day for the Boston Red Sox fell on Good Friday. There
          was a huge (and very embarrassing push!) for the Archdiocese to dispense fans
          from meat abstinence on that day so they could have a hot dog at the game. I am
          not making this up, but I wish I were. Good Friday or the Red Sox, where is one's heart?

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 22, 2007

            Prayers for Elizabeth Edwards, wife of the US presidential candidate, John
            Edwards. Her breast cancer has spread to the bone and is said to be treatable,
            but not curable. Prayers for their whole family, please, especially their
            young children.

            Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of the 108 miners
            killed in a Siberian mine explosion and for the 62 elderly Russians killed in a
            nursing home first, and for all who mourn them. Prayers for the happy death and
            eternal rest of Jeri, apparently no family, sad and lonely at her death.
            Prayers for Carmine, multiple lymphoma and for Joey, HIV+.

            Deo gratias and continued prayers, Br. Joachim of St. Leo has been in rehab
            but is doing well and in good spirits. He is slated to return to the Abbey
            today, Mar. 23. Further Deo gratias, Dot, whose pulmonary crisis we prayed
            about, is at home, and proudly telling people she had all of us praying for her.
            She thanks everyone for their prayers, continued prayers for her recovery.

            Prayers Vietnamese Fr. Nguyen Van Ly and four of his associates are accused
            of producing so-called anti-government documents and communicating with
            anti-communist groups overseas. The pro-democracy priest is also accused of
            planning to form a new political opposition party named Lac Hong. The offense
            carries a maximum sentence of 20 years.

            Prayers, please, for Michael, for whom we prayed a while ago. His bladder
            cancer is at stage 2.5 out of 3 and he faces more surgery this week, followed
            by radiation, and for his worried family. Prayers for Katie, 15, expecting a
            baby this July but unable to give it up for adoption, since the 17 yr old
            father is refusing consent. Please pray for all, and for the anxious great
            grandparents to be. Prayers please for Olga, 91, Diana and Jay. Jay's job was
            abruptly terminated after 27 years and he can no longer guarantee Olga's
            financial support in the US ( she is not a citizen.) They are moving her back to the
            UK and will be forced to put her into a care home there. This is a
            stressful situation for all, so prayers for God's will for all and for safe travels
            for all. Prayers for Alex and her unborn son and for a safe delivery into the
            world for Tyson Liam.

            Prayers for Bailey, 11 days old, stopped breathing after a seizure last
            night revived by her Dad's CPR, but cause is unknown, for the right doctor to
            help her and for her worried parents and grandparents. Prayers for Breanna ,the
            little 21 month old baby we prayed for recently. On Thursday she had an 8 hour
            surgery for an external artificial heart, for her parents, family and
            doctors, too. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is

[...]

            one's heart? Making things terribly serious that are not serious at all is
            not a sign of
            balanced health. We'd be wary if anyone got that serious about a game of
            Monopoly, but sports are, after all- or should be- GAMES, not reality.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 22, 2008

              Deo gratias, Braxton, 14, for whom we prayed, has had very good news. The cancer seems localized and treatment, though very aggressive, should only last 4 months. Continued prayers for him and David and Beth, his parents.

              Ann, healing of painful memories needed.

              Barbara, became ill on March 4th with double
              pneumonia, was in ICU and near death,now many complications have set in. She has been dealing with Spiritual Warfare for over a year.

              Dot and Lib, both elderly and very severe cases of the flu.

              Don, suicide of his daughter and death of his father, along with other factors, have him close to a nervous breakdown, and for Joyce, his worried wife.

              http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/