Holy Rule for Mar. 21

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21 4:51 AM

      Prayers, please, for George B. and his family, he seems to be very close to death.
      Prayers, too, for TomKay of Monastic Life list, who turns FORTY-SIX today! God's will
      is best. All is mercy and grace. Thanks so much! JL

      March 21, July 21, November 20
      Chapter 42: That No One Speak After Compline

      Monastics ought to be zealous for silence at all times,
      but especially during the hours of the night.
      For every season, therefore,
      whether there be fasting or two meals,
      let the program be as follows:

      If it be a season when there are two meals,
      then as soon as they have risen from supper
      they shall all sit together,
      and one of them shall read the Conferences
      or the Lives of the Fathers
      or something else that may edify the hearers;
      not the Heptateuch or the Books of Kings, however,
      because it will not be expedient for weak minds
      to hear those parts of Scripture at that hour;
      but they shall be read at other times.

      If it be a day of fast,
      then having allowed a short interval after Vespers
      they shall proceed at once to the reading of the Conferences,
      as prescribed above;
      four or five pages being read, or as much as time permits,
      so that during the delay provided by this reading
      all may come together,
      including those who may have been occupied
      in some work assigned them.

      When all, therefore, are gathered together,
      let them say Compline;
      and when they come out from Compline,
      no one shall be allowed to say anything from that time on.
      And if anyone should be found evading this rule of silence,
      let her undergo severe punishment.
      An exception shall be made
      if the need of speaking to guests should arise
      or if the Abbess should give someone an order.
      But even this should be done with the utmost gravity
      and the most becoming restraint.

      REFLECTION

      I certainly can- and have!- sung the praises of the Grand Silence. It
      is lovely and warm and wonderful and familiar and comforting. All of
      that! But I also know that for many Oblates to read those words will
      only underscore painfully the fact that many can NOT have such a
      silence to restore them. So, what about them? What does this chapter
      have for those whose lives and vocations make Grand Silence an
      impossible dream?

      Well, first, and most briefly, we all have to seek out and cherish
      the moments of silence and solitude that may find us from time to
      time. Our society teaches us to be surrounded by noise. There may be
      times we are all but unaware of that we can diminish that noise, or
      when its removal may surprise us. Learn to make the most of such
      times! Try as best you can to increase them, so long as you are not
      stepping on the toes of others, like your family!

      But, perhaps even more importantly, those who are denied this silence
      need to be keenly aware that the sacrifice of a thing often gives
      greater spiritual growth than its possession would. That is,
      admittedly, terribly cold comfort, but it is so very true. The
      longing heart, the broken heart, the unfulfilled heart, these are all
      very ripe fields for the love and mercy of God. Not that such mercy
      and love will necessarily be felt! Often, quite the reverse!

      That is why trust and faith are so important at times of deprivation
      or aridity. It is through trust that we reap the benefits, through
      knowing, even though it may not make us feel any better, that Christ
      is mercy, is not mean, is not absent and is NEVER uncaring. Never.

      Jesus told St. Faustina that He was even more close to her in times
      of desolation, when she could not feel Him, than He was in the
      closest of ecstasies. He also told her, when she was in the dull ache
      of suffering days that seemed endless, that in heaven she would long
      for such days. Why? Because then she would know their worth!

      Trust me, beloveds, I know how this can sound. There have been (and
      still are!) times in my life when hearing words like those I write
      this morning could only make me want to retch. But they are true.
      Maddening as hell, I know, but true......!

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 21 6:06 AM

        If it weren't bumped by Monday of Holy Week, today would be the Feast of the Passing of St. Benedict. May he strengthen us all with his prayers in the hour of our deaths and grant us all a death as happy and blessed as his own!

        Prayers, please, for Tomkay, of Monastic Life list, who codgers into his 48th year today!! Ad multos annos!!

        Prayers, too for Ethan, 3, developmentally disabled, legally blind and wheelchair bound, who needs corrective surgery on both hips this week with an extensive cast post-op, and for his parents, Jed and Maria, his grandparents, Gerry and Eva, and all his family. Prayers for Terry Schiavo, the brain-damaged Florida woman whose feeding tube has been removed by court order, against her parents' wishes, that God's perfect will be done. Prayers, too, for Nick, 80, who broke his leg badly at the site of an old break repaired by a rod. Prognosis is uncertain and he is getting very depressed. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 21 5:15 AM

          A blessed feast of the Passing of St. Benedict to all. May he strengthen us with his presence at our deaths and grant us deaths as happy as his own. Particular prayers in that vein for Fr. Romuald, serenely preparing to meet God. As one monastic life moves to its close, others are at their beginning: prayers for Br. Matthew of St. Leo Abbey, professing his solemn vows today and for novice Br. Mark of St. Leo, who received his habit and new name yesterday. Prayers, too, for Fr. Peter on the 8th anniversary of his profession.

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal repose of Betty, for whom we have prayed, her battle with cancer is now over, prayers for all her family and friends who mourn her. Prayers for Kenneth, 5, two tumors on his brain and tests being run for cancer, prayers for his parents and family, too. Prayers for Ron, who has had a couple of rough months, also for Nancy, stomach cancer, John Francis, colon surgery, Tom, broken hip and for Ed, cancerous lesion on his nose. Prayers for Fr. Paul, diabetes and other health problems since a car accident. Deo gratias and thanksgiving: Joseph, the child with behavioral problems for whom we prayed is now living with another family member and doing MUCH better. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          and love will necessarily be felt! Often, quite the reverse! God loves
          broken hearts with the most tender of compassions. Their breached walls
          make His entry easier.

          That is why trust and faith are so important at times of deprivation
          or aridity. It is through trust that we reap the benefits, through
          knowing, even though it may not make us feel any better, that Christ
          is mercy, is not mean, is not absent and is NEVER uncaring. Never.
          As St. John Chrysostom said: "God is never the enemy of His creatures."

          Jesus told St. Faustina that He was even more close to her in times
          of desolation, when she could not feel Him, than He was in the
          closest of ecstasies. He also told her, when she was in the dull ache
          of suffering days that seemed endless, that in heaven she would long
          for such days. Why? Because then she would know their worth!

          Trust me, beloveds, I know how this can sound. There have been (and
          still are!) times in my life when hearing words like those I write
          this morning could only make me want to retch. But they are true.
          Maddening, I know, but true......!

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 20 7:42 PM

            A blessed feast of the Passing of our Holy Father Benedict to all. May his
            prayers for us grant us all a happy death, may he strengthen us with his
            presence at the hour of our deaths and grant us deaths as happy and blessed as his
            own!

            Prayers, please, for Lou, suspicious mass on thyroid, past history of cancer
            which has been in remission.
            Prayers for A., who now has custody of his second child, a joy, but so much
            to bear being a single parent for both. Prayers for Jack, 50, history of
            mental illness, who took his own life on his birthday, for his happy death and
            eternal rest and for all who mourn him. Prayers, too, for Jeff, a Marine back
            from Iraq who sunk into depression and took his own life, for his happy death
            and for all who mourn him. Prayers for the many- and often untreated-
            psychological casualties of war, some of the worst wounds leave no scars.

            Prayers for Stan, real estate difficulties selling his home and a time
            constraint to get that cleared up.
            Prayers for Rod, who was suddenly laid off and for the 150 others also laid
            off by his company. His job of many years went with no benefits and no
            severance pay. He is 57, has been battling cancer, and now has neither insurance nor
            income. Prayers for J's great-grandmother, nearly 87 and unable to walk,
            still living at home but her health is very precarious, and for all her worried
            family. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 20 6:58 AM

              A blessed and holy Sacred Triduum to all. May these holiest days of Holy Week fill all with their grace!

              Michael, major abdominal surgery Mar. 17

              Anastasia, troubled teen we have prayed for, who ran away and has returned, but who also recently attempted suicide.

              a student of Carol's who is going through a difficult time.

              Colin, 20's, blood clots in legs, lots of pain and no sick time left.

              Deo gratias, Jenny is off her ventilator and her trach has been closed, showing first signs of progress.

              Prayers for Paul and his Mother, she is elderly and frail and he is trying so hard to care for her, also for Mara, Paul's wife and all his siblings