Holy Rule for Mar. 17

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17 6:06 AM

      Prayers, please, for my dear mentor, Brother Patrick Creamer, OSB, of Saint Leo Abbey, on his feastday!! Patrick is about to turn 90 in September and still his wonderful self. So very much of what I write for you I learned from him, by words and deeds. I live my own monastic life with frequent reminders of what Patrick would do or did do or said to me in any given situation! He is a gem!!
      God's will is best. All is mercy and grace! Thanks so much!! JL

      March 17, July 17, November 16
      Chapter 38: On the Weekly Reader

      The meals of the sisters should not be without reading.
      Nor should the reader be
      anyone who happens to take up the book;
      but there should be a reader for the whole week,
      entering that office on Sunday.
      Let this incoming reader,
      after Mass and Communion,
      ask all to pray for her
      that God may keep her from the spirit of pride
      And let her intone the following verse,
      which shall be said three times by all in the oratory:
      "O Lord, open my lips,
      and my mouth shall declare Your praise."
      Then, having received a blessing,
      let her enter on the reading.

      And let absolute silence be kept at table,
      so that no whispering may be heard
      nor any voice except the reader's.
      As to the things they need while they eat and drink,
      let the sisters pass them to one another
      so that no one need ask for anything.
      If anything is needed, however,
      let it be asked for by means of some audible sign
      rather than by speech.
      Nor shall anyone at table presume to ask questions
      about the reading or anything else,
      lest that give occasion for talking;
      except that the Superior may perhaps wish
      to say something briefly for the purpose of edification.

      The sister who is reader for the week
      shall take a little ablution before she begins to read,
      on account of the Holy Communion
      and lest perhaps the fast be hard for her to bear.
      She shall take her meal afterwards
      with the kitchen and table servers of the week.

      The sisters are not to read or chant in order,
      but only those who edify their hearers.

      REFLECTION

      It is a safe bet that Oblates who don't live alone rarely eat in silence, so it would be easy to ask what on earth this chapter has for them, for all of us, in fact. Easy! Another reminder to bless every action and service, no matter how small is here. So is the kindhearted father Benedict: let the reader have a little something before reading, so the hunger doesn't overwhelm. (It is funny how quickly we become accustomed to eating at EXACTLY this or that time... Twenty minutes later can start some stomach rumblings!) A third and perhaps less obvious point is that, when it comes to the spiritual life and its nourishment, St. Benedict does not like to waste time. He makes judicious use of the time we feed our bodies to feed our hearts, minds and souls!

      Let's start with that wasted time idea. Look at some of the other areas we waste time actively, or passively, because we have no choice. Grocery store lines come to mind, so do waiting for elevators or trains or buses, to say nothing of riding on same. An excellent opportunity for silent prayer! One could also carry a small book all the time, popping it out when the occasions arise. I used to study college texts in line at the store. I was working full-time and I needed every minute. But we all need every minute to grow spiritually, because we don't know how many of those minutes we have!

      Driving, if one has a tape or cd deck in the car, can be a time to "make up" for some of that lectio divina we never seem to have enough hours in a day to finish. I speak as one formerly hopelessly addicted to rock 'n roll oldies- I was a radio DJ, after all- there are a lot of tapes I could have played that would have done far more for me than the Beach Boys or the Beatles! (Though I will always hold both dear!) I learned to balance things more! No radio or tape in your car? Make sure you have a Rosary. There's plenty of time for one and you will find that traffic jams, while still aggravating, can be less so when something worthwhile to do is close at hand.

      Oblates who live alone surely can play a tape of reading while they eat, but I strongly feel that even families, if the children are old enough to understand, can glean something here. What about a brief, very brief reading at the beginning of each meal, right after grace? Could be most anything, but the Saint of the Day, a free e list I mentioned the other day, has perfect length Saint bios with a quote and short point or two to ponder. (Subscribe at: http://www.americancatholic.org ) You and your family will learn about the Saints, about the faith. This can be done in less than 3 minutes or so, then (hopefully!) discussion and questions follow.

      You might, also, try a different kind of "silence" at meals. What about a "fast" from all talk that doesn't praise or compliment, an occasional meal when you agree to do nothing but tell each other the good things you appreciate about each member? Not shabby! Or maybe a meal when we never mention ourselves, only others at table? There are all kinds of tricks to turn conversation into something saving rather than harming, and total silence is only one approach!

      And don't forget that little gem about blessing every action. If grace before meals (maybe even after, too!) is not already a custom, make it so. This is not turning your family into monastics, it is a basic Christian practice that we should never have lost.

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 17 6:05 AM

        A blessed feast of Saint Patrick to all! Prayers, please, for Susan, on her birthday, for God to fill her with grace and love. For Amy's test results, and for Donald, 25 years an Oblate yesterday!! For Sister Mary Stella, who had a setback yesterday in the hospital, also for Marialyce that she get the eye doctor she needs.For Michael, applying for a legal position and for his son's mother-in-law, who suffered a heart attack and for all her family. Prayers for Danielle, as she prepares to make her final Oblation here on Saturday. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much! JL

[...]

        of the Day, a free e list, has perfect length Saint bios with a quote and short point

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 16 6:56 PM

            Prayers for Susan, on her birthday, ad multos annos, many years, and a happy
            St. Patrick's Day to all! Graces and blessings!

            Prayers for Adrian, who waited so terribly long for his hip replacement. Now
            his recovery is going slow and rather painfully in some areas. Prayers for
            Tony, biopsy on the tissue around his eyes early today, a disease rare and
            rarely associated his form of cancer may have settled there. Prayers for
            Eleanor, badly needing to sell her house quickly as possible to move into a
            retirement home.

            Prayers for Jim, 88, after many years of dialysis and due to the drugs and
            steroids given to him, he has become totally deaf. Prayers that even a bit of
            hearing may be restored to him if it is God's will. Prayers for Gabriel,
            17-18 years old, blindness from diabetes, also for the happy death and eternal
            rest of Ann's son, who has died, and for Ann and all who mourn him. Prayers for
            a safe and healthy delivery for Sherry Ann, the baby is a few days overdue.
            Prayers for Bill, depression, and for John H., colon cancer.

            Prayers for Alix's Dad, 87, a three-time survivor of cancer, he now has a
            bile duct blockage that may be due to cancer. His compromised pulmonary and
            cardiac make surgery a very risky matter, prayers, too, for Alix and her Mom and
            for all his doctors. Prayers for Linda's brother, Jim, 39, diagnosed with
            lymphoma and he has neither income nor health insurance, family is trying to
            decide how best to help. Continued prayers for Dot, whose respiratory
            hospitalization we have been praying about. She also has two lumps on her breast that
            need to be biopsied. One of the first things she asked her niece was if she
            had put her on our prayer list! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 16 10:11 AM

              Thanks to all who prayed and sent good wishes my way when I had the flu. It is good to be back and I could feel those prayers! JL

              Prayers please, for Susan on her birthday, also for Patty, who is still job
              searching, and for Scott who has just been diagnosed
              with cancer behind his ear and will be operated on
              next week.
[...]

              Saint of the Day, a free e list, has perfect length Saint bios with a quote and