Holy Rule for Mar. 16

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 16, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Howard after his surgery. Prayers, too, for all who wrestle with their Churches. May they wrestle with great sincerity, love and trust! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. Thanks so much! JL

      March 16, July 16, November 15
      Chapter 37: On the Old and Children

      Although human nature itself is drawn to special kindness
      towards these times of life,
      that is towards the old and children,
      still the authority of the Rule should also provide for them.

      Let their weakness be always taken into account,
      and let them by no means be held to the rigor of the Rule
      with regard to food.
      On the contrary,
      let a kind consideration be shown to them,
      and let them eat before the regular hours.

      REFLECTION

      The tenderness of St. Benedict shines through here. These are strong
      words for weakness: "ALWAYS taken into account," and "BY NO MEANS
      held to the rigor of the Rule for food." Though he prefaces his
      chapter recalling that any healthy human nature has a certain level
      of consideration for these age groups, our holy Father Benedict
      quickly returns to a very consistent theme of the Holy Rule: we are
      called to more than mere nature. We are called to enhance our nature
      to the heights of sanctity. Our considerate mindfulness for every
      person and their individual needs must be greater than that of the
      world.

      St. Benedict's aim is that each of us ALWAYS see the person first.
      That kind of loving mindfulness will make the chapters on the sick
      and the young and old complete no-brainers. This is the way we should
      be seeing everyone: real people for whom they really are, nothing
      more or less. Circumstances do arise that require greater attention,
      but the foundation of that is a firm theology of personalism.

      It should come as no great shock that the most frequent obstacle to
      viewing others correctly is ourselves. Our own image, our self, our
      projections get in the way of the lens of truth. We have to spend our
      monastic struggle learning to put those things aside, so that the
      light of others may shine through unobstructed. With our own needs
      at least on a back burner, or better yet, shelved far off in the
      pantry, we can begin to truly see others and their needs. Wipe the
      mud of self from our eyes and we can see the treasures that surround
      us. Mother Teresa of Calcutta surely did that. She saw beauty that
      all of us less holy than she missed big-time and she saw it in
      everyone.

      A key to all this is a favorite quote from Antoine de St.
      Exupery's "Little Prince":

      "The essential is invisible to the eyes. One can only see rightly
      with the heart."

      That's what our Rule demands: the cultivation of the very loving eyes
      of our hearts! And we open those eyes by expanding our hearts in love!

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15, 2007

            Continued prayers please, and a huge Deo gratias for Br. Joachim, his
            surgery went well, his spirits are good and he is already being transferred to an
            extended care facility. Prayers for Br. Stephen, pending knee surgery.
            Prayers, too, for Mark who is having a big job interview on Friday, may God's will
            be done! Prayers for Eugene, a sex offender soon to be paroled, he prays for
            strength and continued recovery.

            Prayers for Mary B. and the success of her work with HIV/AIDS children in
            Honduras. Belated prayers for Genny on her birthday on the 15th. God really is
            outside of time! Michael asks prayers of Deo Gratias for continued health for
            a very dear friend. Prayers for Peter, traveling to California, for a safe
            journey there and back and for many graces on the trip.

            Leah, the little girl with the liver transplant we prayed for is now five
            months post-op and has all but one tube removed. She is doing very well and her
            family thanks all for their prayers. Continued prayers for her recovery and a
            huge Deo gratias! Another Deo gratias, Dot, for whom we prayed yesterday is
            doing better already, responding well to new meds. God is good! Continued
            prayers for her and her grateful family. Lord, help us all as You know and