Holy Rule for Mar. 14

    Message 1 of 211 , Mar 14, 2004
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Meagan, 19, ulcerative colitis. This condition is not chronic in about 10% of cases and family members are praying for the best, prayers, too, for Margaret, who was kind enough to ask! Please continue to pray for all those in Madrid's bombings, the victims, the families, the caregivers and the perpetrators. May God heal us all! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. Thanks so much! JL

      An hour before the meal
      let the weekly servers each receive a drink and some bread
      over and above the appointed allowance,
      in order that at the meal time they may serve their brethren
      without murmuring and without excessive fatigue.
      On solemn days, however, let them wait until after Mass.

      Immediately after the Morning Office on Sunday,
      the incoming and outgoing servers
      shall prostrate themselves before all the brethren in the oratory
      and ask their prayers.
      Let the server who is ending his week say this verse:
      "Blessed are You, O Lord God,
      who have helped me and consoled me."
      When this has been said three times
      and the outgoing server has received his blessing,
      then let the incoming server follow and say,
      "Incline unto my aid, O God;
      O Lord, make haste to help me."
      Let this also be repeated three times by all,
      and having received his blessing
      let him enter his service.

      REFLECTION

      Families, and parents and caregivers, listen up! There's an important
      lesson here. No task is too small to be blessed by prayer. More than
      that, no task is so easy that it can be done without God's help, so
      remember to thank Him. Of ourselves, we can do nothing, literally
      nothing. All our strength and power comes from God.

      Making dinner or washing the dishes? Take a quiet moment in the midst
      of either to say "Help!" and "Thanks!" Two simple, one word prayers.
      No matter how chaotic your household, everyone will find time for at
      least that. God knows the details, knows your heart and can readily
      fill in the blanks! We may think God needs essay-length prayers, but
      He doesn't. He may enjoy hearing from us, but trust me, we NEVER tell
      Him anything that's news to Him.

      This chapter is not simply the humility and charity of service, it is
      also the honest acknowledgment of complete helplessness without God.
      For most folks, only sickness or debility will teach them that. It
      may seem like nothing to bend down and pick up a pin off the floor
      until a bad back makes that impossible. Handicaps hone our
      perceptions of being in charge very, very well.

      Of course, there is another side to simple things like serving table,
      picking up pins and the like. No, one could not have done anything
      without God's help, but ah, if one does them out of love and care!
      Bingo! Double coupons, so to speak! If that pin got carefully picked
      up because of a barefoot and running child, or a beloved pet who is
      prone to "tasting" whatever she can find on the floor, simplicity
      becomes a very much greater matter, indeed. Now it is very close to
      the heart of God, and that is a wonderful place to be.

      By the way, though some might think me daft for saying this, it is not
      at all that crazy. There is no reason why families could not bless whomever
      is assigned to a domestic task for a week or month or whatever. A simple
      prayer asking God to help them serve us all and get over any rough times
      could be tastefully done without a lot of fuss. This could really help drive
      home the message of the worthwhile merit to be had in doing small things with love!

      Message 211 of 211 , Mar 13, 2017

        +PAX

        Many ardent prayers for Mario, substance abuse problem and getting help and treatment, may he stay clean and sober. Prayers, too, for his parents, D. and M. and all his family.

        Prayers for Kristen, young wife & mother with serious cancer. Parishioners are praying to Ven. Rose Hawthorne for a miracle.

        Prayers for Diana and her daughter, Diana left the Church long ago, prayers that they both may return.

        Many ardent prayers for Steve, in hospice, that he may get all the Sacraments, and for his wife and family and all who will mourn him. Divine Mercy chaplets, please, from those so inclined.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Kathy, who died in her sleep, and strength for her husband, Mark and for their family. Kathy was a very devout prayer warrior.

        Continued ardent prayers for Josh, drug problems and hopefully already in treatment.

        Prayers for Patty, 56, who has been home battling bacterial pneumonia for over a week.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of 35 girls killed in a fire at a state-run home for youth in Guatemala, and for their families and all who mourn them. Prayers, too, for the other girls at that facility, where allegations of abuse have prompted riots from those housed there.

        Prayers for a man estranged from his children for many years, that they resume contact with him.

        Prayers for E., that she go to Confession, also for Liz, that she go to Confession. It has been many years for both.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.