Dec 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2002

      Prayers, please, for my uncle, William Coors. I received word that
      he had died last night. Prayers, especially, for his wife, Betty (my
      Dad's only sister.) They were married over 50 years and just in June,
      their house in NY was sold and they moved to AZ, a wrenching time for
      her and now this. I really appreciate your prayers. Thanks so much!
      JL

      April 3, August 3, December 3

      Chapter 52: On the Oratory of the Monastery

      Let the oratory be what it is called, a place of prayer;
      and let nothing else be done there or kept there.
      When the Work of God is ended,
      let all go out in perfect silence,
      and let reverence for God be observed,
      so that any sister who may wish to pray privately
      will not be hindered by another's misconduct.
      And at other times also,
      if anyone should want to pray by herself,
      let her go in simply and pray,
      not in a loud voice but with tears and fervor of heart.
      She who does not say her prayers in this way, therefore,
      shall not be permitted to remain in the oratory
      when the Work of God is ended,
      lest another be hindered, as we have said.

      REFLECTION

      "...let nothing else be done there or kept there." Don't think for a
      moment this refers to only furniture, storage or other activities. It
      refers to our hearts, too. We must be terribly careful of what we
      take into the oratory, what we carry in our hearts, because it not
      only colors our prayer, but often the prayer of those around us as
      well. Even half-aware people who live together for years can spot
      trouble immediately. They may not know what is wrong, but they are
      themselves disquieted by it. Often one never finds out what is
      troubling another, so one just prays for them. But the empathy, the
      sympathy that moves one to do so by observation has colored the
      oratory experience ever so slightly from one of untrammeled peace.

      Sometimes we honestly cannot help what we carry in our hearts. I know
      that all too well. I knew it this morning especially. My uncle's
      death was not the only thing going on and I could scarcely calm the
      cacophonic roar of anxiety and hurt. For me, as I am sure for some
      others, too, it is all but impossible to pray at such times, through
      no fault of our own. I resolve to be a bit more careful to try to
      empty my heart whenever I can, but I couldn't this time. Nothing
      seemed clear or right. So I just said: "Look, maybe what I am
      offering You really is nothing at all, maybe I shouldn't even dare.
      If it is nothing, please forgive me. If it's not, please take it for
      whatever it is worth." Sometimes that's the best we can do.