Holy Rule for Mar. 10

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Stacey, 16, without parents, but with serious medical
      problems. She either fell beneath or jumped beneath a train and was killed.
      Continued prayers for Bill D., still having problems after four stents and a
      pacemaker, also for Fr. Joseph, OP, serious surgery yesterday. Prayers of
      thanksgiving for the Search retreat we prayed for went very well! Deo gratias.
      However, there is a sacristan in Texas who could still use some help!
      God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. Thanks so much! JL

      March 10, July 10, November 9
      Chapter 32: On the Tools and Property of the Monastery

      For the care of the monastery's property
      in tools, clothing and other articles
      let the Abbess appoint sisters
      on whose manner of life and character she can rely;
      and let her, as she shall judge to be expedient,
      consign the various articles to them,
      to be looked after and to be collected again.
      The Abbess shall keep a list of these articles,
      so that
      as the sisters succeed one another in their assignments
      she may know what she gives and what she receives back.

      If anyone treats the monastery's property
      in a slovenly or careless way,
      let her be corrected.
      If she fails to amend,
      let her undergo the discipline of the Rule.

      REFLECTION

      OK, for "monastery" substitute the word "planet" and you will
      understand that there is a very Benedictine imperative for ecology!
      The planet on which we live is surely the greatest treasure any
      monastery or any of us singly is responsible for.

      And that is the further message here: responsible for! Monasteries do
      own things, but always with stewardship, always with sharing. So it
      must be for each of us, for every Christian. We are stewards of great
      and priceless goods. We are entrusted with the very arena of life,
      the only arena of life as we know it.

      Contrast how things of actually much less worth are guarded and
      protected. Would that we surrounded the earth with as much love and
      care as the Crown Jewels of England receive, or the Pieta, or other
      great treasures of art or history. What if all rainforests were as
      protected as the freakishly embalmed body of Lenin? These are things
      on which much care has been expended, but our lives do not depend on
      them. Our lives do depend on the earth, and so do the lives and
      chances for salvation of many others who would come after us, who
      OUGHT to come after us, who will need our world to live.

      Americans in particular can equate lack of waste with stinginess.
      It's a terrible view of things, but deeply rooted. Consumerist
      society encourages waste because it fuels profits for the few at the
      top. Sad that many below cannot be made to see that when we waste, we
      are hurting ourselves in more ways than one: ecologically,
      economically AND spiritually. Waste is a lack of mindfulness for
      others. The reasons we have been subtly taught to live with criminal waste as
      if it were nothing are false, totally false. They are not luxury, they deny others.
      Why live a lie? We do not live on a planet of infinite resources.

      Monasteries and homes are microcosms of the universe. We must never
      look at conservation as if our actions alone will advance the rise or
      prevent the fall. They very well may do neither. What our actions CAN
      do is limit our complicity. That is the only safe rationale for
      undertaking them.

      Every drop of fresh water makes the ocean less salty, though its a fair
      bet that the Atlantic will remain saline, indeed, in spite of our efforts!
      That's not the point. All God will ever ask us is what we added to the problems
      around us.

      He knows we cannot change things single-handedly. Nobody could have
      stopped the Holocaust in Nazi Germany, but some chose not to be in any
      way part of it, often at the cost of their lives. See what I mean? A wealth of
      opportunity in choice awaits all of us.

      We have failed to call most valuable what is truly most valuable. Nothing and
      no one at all can live, can seek God or do His works without the planet on
      which we live. Benedictinism must always and everywhere call us to a
      conversion from that falsehood.

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10, 2005

        Prayers, please, for Rachel, esophageal cancer, now in ICU with pneumonia and probably dying, also for Claudette, who has cancer, Lillian, who suffered a heart attack and now has had a stroke, and for Dottie's health, also for her husband, Lou. Prayers for the newly consecrated bishop of Mangochi, Malawi, Africa, who has died, and for his diocese. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much! JL

[...]

        around us, what we failed to do to make things different or better.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 10, 2006

          Continued prayers for Sr. Lany Jo, her Dad and family. No word yet. Also for Linda and her Dad and family, she is trying to get to see him, but there are complications which really need prayers. Continued prayers, too, for Brad, still awaiting biopsy results.

          Prayers for Doug, a young husband and father with stage IV colon and liver cancer. His four children range in age from newborn to 6, so ardent prayers for this young man and his wife and family. Prayers for his doctors and all the doctors who are treating us.
          Prayers for Pauline, still awaiting skin biopsy results and starting on new meds for her skin condition. Prayers for Rose, 90, congestive heart failure and not doing well at all. Prayers for Lou Ann, D&C that she fears might turn into a hysterectomy, there is a slight possibility of malignancy, also for her friend, James, surgery to remove a very serious congenital cyst.

          Prayers for Pam's niece, who was robbed and had her throat slashed as she was leaving Eucharistic adoration at her local Church in Jamaica. She died later in the day. For her happy death and eternal rest, for all her family and those who mourn her, and for the murderer, that he may be truly repentant and converted. While this is particularly heart-rending, there is at least the consolation that she had just left adoration. May she have gone straight into the arms of God! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          The planet on which we live is surely the greatest treasure for which any
          monastery or any one of us is responsible.

          And that is the further message here: responsible! Monasteries do
          own things, but always with stewardship, always with sharing. So it
          must be for each of us, for every Christian. We are stewards of great
          and priceless goods. We are entrusted with the very arena of life,
          the only arena of life as we know it. God created this awesome world,
          this splendor of life and beauty for the common good and salvation
          of all people. We must keep that fact in clear focus.

[...]

          Blessed Teresa of Calcutta said that we must start small, that every drop
          of fresh water makes the ocean less salty. It is, however, a fair bet that the Atlantic
          will remain quite salty, indeed, in spite of our efforts! That's not the point.

          All God will ever ask us is what we added to the problems around us, what we
          failed to do to make things different or better. We will be judged on efforts, not results.
          The results are often completely out of our hands, but the striving never is. Littlest
          things done with great love can truly change the world, whether we can see that
          or not.

          God knows many things single-handedly cannot be fixed by us alone. No average
          person could have stopped the Holocaust in Nazi Germany alone, but some chose
          not to be in any way part of it, often at the cost of their lives. What if everybody had done
          that? See what I mean? A wealth of opportunity in choice awaits all of us.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9, 2008

            Prayers, please, for Br. Vincent and his Dad, Cos, Mom, Vita, and all their family. Cos was moved onto a hospice floor yesterday and they are hoping to be able to take him home.

            Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physiocal health of the following, for all their loved ones and all that take care of them:

            Laura and her daughter, Katrina, 18. The daughter is involved in a long relationship with a man in his thrities.

            Hank, who has had an ongoing illness. He thinks he will be dying soon but is in excellent spirits and says he is ready.

            Jerry, leukemia, has had chemotherapy and is now ready
            for a bone marrow transplant from one of his brothers on April 1. So
            many prayers are needed for them both.