Holy Rule for Mar. 5

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Father Roger, on his birthday. God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. Thanks so much! JL

      Mar 5, Jul 5, Nov 4
      Chapter 28: On Those Who Will Not Amend after Repeated Corrections

      If a sister who has been frequently corrected for some fault,
      and even excommunicated,
      does not amend,
      let a harsher correction be applied,
      that is, let the punishment of the rod be administered.

      But if she still does not reform
      or perhaps (which God forbid)
      even rises up in pride and wants to defend her conduct,
      then let the Abbess do what a wise physician would do.
      Having used applications,
      the ointments of exhortation,
      the medicines of the Holy Scriptures,
      finally the cautery of excommunication
      and of the strokes of the rod,
      if she sees that her efforts are of no avail,
      let her apply a still greater remedy,
      her own prayers and those of all the others,
      that the Lord, who can do all things
      may restore health to the sister who is sick.

      But if she is not healed even in this way,
      then let the Abbess use the knife of amputation,
      according to the Apostle's words,
      "Expel the evil one from your midst" (1 Cor. 5:13),
      and again,
      "If the faithless one departs, let her depart" (1 Cor. 7:15)
      lest one diseased sheep contaminate the whole flock.

      REFLECTION

      The Holy Rule and its author, St. Benedict, are tremendously kind,
      insisting that we go all the way we possibly can and even a bit
      beyond with the erring. All that love and care and sorely tried
      patience is absolutely necessary before this point, "the knife of
      amputation," is reached. This, too, is a great and important part of
      mercy, though we may not easily see that at first.

      It is tremendously unkind, unloving and unmerciful to hang onto a
      person to whom we can no longer offer hope of treatment or genuine
      help. There are times when such played out relationships become
      terribly toxic to the sufferer and to all concerned. There are times
      when nothing is left but, as AA would put it, to let that person hit
      bottom.

      Even that may or may not work, but we sometimes have nothing
      else to apply. To continue forbearance at such a time is merely to
      enable, to actually participate in the person's self-destruction. Al
      Anon (sp.?) could tell you a lot about the wisdom of enabling.

      This is so hard for us, to finally, seemingly "give up" on someone.
      In truth, we never do that. We still pray, we must, but we must also
      have the humility to admit that we no longer be of useful help, that
      we are even likely to harm further by enabling.

      That is an affront to our natural pride: we OUGHT to be able to heal
      ANYTHING, ANYONE... Sigh... But we aren't. We are also wounded, also
      imperfect, little better or more capable than the poor sufferer for
      whom we erroneously think we can be a healing god from the sky.

      St. Benedict is NOT saying to give up on the person- I still pray
      for people who left decades ago and probably should have done so. I
      have no idea where they are or what they're doing, but I do know the
      monastery didn't seem to be the place that was most helpful to them,
      nor were they particularly a gift to the community.

      What St. Benedict is saying is that we must have the wisdom and
      humility to stop trying things that don't work, for the good of all
      concerned, including ourselves. When this point is reached, no one
      can help but God. He can always do so, but to wait for Him to do it
      in a situation already mired beyond hope in dysfunction is not a
      great notion. Fix what you can and pray for the rest.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2006

          A blessed feast of Saint Aelred to all. Because of our original founder, Dom
          Aelred Carlyle, who brought his Caldey monks into the Roman Catholic Church
          on this day under the tutelage of Blessed Columba Marmion, this is a special day for us, a
          granddaughter house of Caldey (which became Prinknash later on...)

          Prayers for Tom, on his birthday, ad multos annos!! Prayers for Marie, an elderly
          lady, wheelchair bound, who is having a lot of pain in her arm. She is a faithful and
          devout woman, bearing all with patience. Prayers, too, for Pauline, also faithful,
          devout and patient! Her skin condition has finally been diagnosed, but treatment still to
          come. Prayers for another Tom, seeking work in his area of expertise, for God's
          will for him. Prayers for William, 56, on life support after a stroke, with the plug perhaps
          to be pulled tomorrow, for his happy death and eternal rest and for all his family. Prayers
          for Nicole, supporter of a family of four, that her job search is successful. Prayers for
          Trish, high blood pressure related to stress.

          Prayers, please, for Brother Dominic, our novice, who received his habit a year
          ago today, halfway through his novitiate! For grace, perseverance and the perfect
          will of God for him. Prayers the happy death and eternal rest of Father Roger, on his
[...]

          imperfect, neither better nor more capable than the poor sufferer for

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2007

            Prayers for Tom, on his birthday. Graces and blessings and ad multos annos,
            many years!!

            A blessed feast of Saint Aelred to all. Because of our original founder, Dom
            Aelred Carlyle, who brought his Caldey monks into the Roman Catholic Church
            on this day under the tutelage of Blessed Columba Marmion, this is a special
            day for us, a granddaughter house of Caldey (which became Prinknash later
            on...) This year brings a special joy as Pluscarden's novice, Br. Aelred,
            professes his first vows today. Prayers, please, for him and the monastic life
            before him, and for all our Community.

            Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal repose of Mattie, 94, who
            died early this morning, also for her sister, elnora, her nephew, David, and
            all who mourn her. Prayers for baby Lincoln, he has an inoperable tumor on
            his kidney and his parents were told that he won't survive. Prayers for the
            happy death and eternal rest of Virginia, also for Br. Jonathan, recovering from
            extended illness, and for Br. Derek, upcoming hip surgery. Prayers, please,
            for Earl,as he goes through his court trial, that he is aware of God's
            presence throughout the trial and its outcome, whatever it is. Prayers, too, for
            Bob, his attorney.

            Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Roger, and for all who mourn
            him. Prayers for the health, life and prognosis of Ed, undergoing tests and
            hoping for good results. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will
            is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so

            http://www.aol.com.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2008

              Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of:

              Betty, 86, who went to God on Sunday, and for her niece, Cheryl, and all their family.

              Dawn, who took her own life, for her 6 year old daughter, Amber, and for her parents, Bob and Deb and all who mourn her.

              Nikki, suffering depression.

              Jeanne, a Deo gratias for passing her first round of exams for her doctorate.

[...]

              Bob and Deb
              and their daughter Dawn whom we have also known for years. Dawn
              overdosed last weekend.She leaves a six year old daughter Amber.