Holy Rule for Mar. 3

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2004

      Prayer for Bob, post-cancer tests, and for Rob, facial melanoma that
      has spread to lymph nodes. Prayers, too, for the vocation of Nathan.
      God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. Thanks so much. JL

      March 3, July 3, November 2
      Chapter 26: On Those Who Without an Order Associate with the
      Excommunicated

      If any sister presumes
      without an order from the Abbess
      to associate in any way with an excommunicated sister,
      or to speak with her,
      or to send her a message,
      let her incur a similar punishment of excommunication.

      REFLECTION

      When punishment is necessary, the community should support it, at
      least passively. This united front should be far different from the
      human tendency we often see to abandon those in trouble. Quite the
      reverse, like everything in the Holy Rule, this must be fueled by the
      concern born of great love.

      Common life can often leave one with a slew of relationships which
      are polite and civil, even cordial, but frankly no deeper than a lot
      of people at work have with each other. That's sad, but it does
      happen. Times of crisis like this should awake us to the necessary
      depth of love for all. Hard though it may sometimes be, we may not
      rejoice at the downfall of another. We must participate in common
      punishments because they are for the good of all, but also because
      they are primarily for the good of the offender, whom we must love.
      Admittedly, sometimes the only way one can express that concern is
      prayer, but we must pray!

      Sometimes, both superiors and communities can have an inordinate fear
      of giving punishment. What if she leaves? Yeah, what if....? Maybe
      she is supposed to leave, maybe this is God's way of telling her
      something about herself that she cannot see. Some people who really,
      truly do NOT belong in monastic life cannot be convinced of this.
      Some people who are terrible at a given job will not wake up to that
      fact in any other way. Toxic spouses must sometimes be told
      implicitly that, if they insist on continuing to harm themselves,
      they'll have to do it elsewhere, without destroying the rest of the
      family any longer.

      Some find the Rule harsh in this respect, but there is a great love
      and mercy here. The Holy Rule forbids what most people in groups will
      do: passive aggression. We cannot just wordlessly force the person
      out without a clue as to why. Punishment must be named and specific,
      the offender must know and those around her must care. It may in fact
      force a monk out, but he will know why when he leaves. This is vastly
      different from the ordinary human means of exclusion and expulsion.
      It include grace. It includes love.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006

        Prayers, please, for Pauline, her serious skin rash has returned and still defies diagnosis, she can now take hardly any of her medicines, since they are being checked out as causes, and she is bravely suffering quite a lot. Prayers for Kathy and her family, a host of problems beset them just now, for God's will for them. Prayers, please, for vocations to Pluscarden and St. Mary's and to all our monasteries. Prayers of Deo gratias and thanksgiving for George, Fr. Brendan's Dad, for whom we prayed after his fall. His swelling has gone down and he is healing so nicely that it seems he won't need surgery after all. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much JL

[...]

        happen. Times of crisis like this should awaken us to the necessary
        depth of love for all.

        Hard though it may sometimes be, we may not rejoice at the downfall
        of another. We must participate in common punishments because they
        are for the good of all, but also because they are primarily for the good
        of the offender, whom we must love. Admittedly, sometimes the only way
        one can express that concern is prayer, but we must pray!

        Sometimes, both superiors and communities can have an inordinate fear
        of giving punishment. What if she leaves? Yeah, what if....? Maybe
        she is supposed to leave, maybe this is God's way of telling her
        something about herself that she cannot see. Some people who really,
        truly do NOT belong in monastic life cannot be convinced of this.

        Some people who are terrible at a given job will not wake up to that
        fact in any other way. In some cases toxic folks must be told gently,
        but explicitly, that if they insist on continuing to harm themselves and
        others, they'll have to do it elsewhere, without destroying the rest of the
        family any longer.

        Some find the Rule harsh in this respect, but there is a great love
        and mercy here. The Holy Rule forbids what most people in groups will
        do: passive aggression. We cannot just wordlessly force the person
        out without a clue as to why.

        Punishment must be named and specific, the offender must know and
        those around her must care. It may in fact force a monk out, but he
        will know why when he leaves. This is vastly different from the ordinary
        human means of exclusion and expulsion. It includes grace. It includes love.
        Lots of love! And its justice is always somehow wrapped in mercy.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007

          Francis, whom we prayed for, who returned to the Sacraments after 60 years,
          died peacefully on Thursday morning at his home, prayers for his happy death
          and eternal rest. His son, Dave, thanks all for their prayers and asks prayers
          for his Dad, Mom and all their family. This is especially hard on his Mom,
          as she is in a rehab nursing facility and had only been able to see her
          husband once before his death. This was a truly miraculous conversion and we are
          blessed to have been a part of it!

          Prayers, please, for Marlene who is on chemo for cancer and in a great deal
          of pain. Also suffering major fear as she had breast cancer 10 years ago and
          there is a family history of breast and bone cancer. Prayers of thanks and
          continued prayers: Anastasia, for whom we prayed, showed up, then ran away
          again, then returned. Please`keep her and her family in your prayers. Deo gratias
          for the graces and help received! Prayers for Brendan and Basil, on a
          Theosis (God-filling!) Weekend retreat. Deo gratias, Jean, for whom we prayed, had
          her suspicious cells all removed from her face and is doing well; her husband
          Al promises that they are praying for us, too!

          Prayers for Fr. Pat, wonderful chaplain of Tyburn nuns in New Zealand, on
          his birthday. May God bless him and his ministry and all those he serves!

          Prayers for Joan, misdiagnosed at first, now she has actually had a stroke
          and has been transferred for treatment.HUGE Deo gratias for Gavin, the preemie
          baby we have been praying for. He is now over two pounds and his parents can
          at last hold him in their arms. Still a long way to go, so continued prayers,
          please. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is

          http://www.aol.com.