Holy Rule for Feb. 19

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 19, 2004

      Prayers, please, for David Burton and his Mom. She is having a
      pacemaker put in today at 11 AM. God's will is best. All is mercy and
      grace. Thanks so much! JL

      February 19, June 20, October 20
      Chapter 16: How the Work of God Is to Be Performed During the Day

      "Seven times in the day," says the Prophet,
      "I have rendered praise to You" (Ps. 118:164).
      Now that sacred number of seven will be fulfilled by us
      if we perform the Offices of our service
      at the time of the Morning Office,
      of Prime, of Terce, of Sext, of None,
      of Vespers and of Compline,
      since it was of these day Hours that he said,
      "Seven times in the day I have rendered praise to You."
      For as to the Night Office the same Prophet says,
      "In the middle of the night I arose to glorify You" (Ps. 118:62).

      Let us therefore bring our tribute of praise to our Creator
      "for the judgments of His justice" (Ps. 118:164)
      at these times:
      the Morning Office, Prime, Terce, Sext, None,
      Vespers and Compline;
      and in the night let us arise to glorify Him.

      REFLECTION

      Tucked neatly into all this business of naming and counting the Hours
      of the Divine Office comes the actual reason we go to choir or say
      the Office alone. It is "our tribute of praise to our Creator 'for
      the judgments of His justice' "

      OK, tribute, praise, glorify, all those things are familiar enough to
      us, but the zinger here is "for the judgments of His justice."
      Whoops! A lot fall out on that one! Whether we realize it or not, the
      reason we praise God as Benedictine is to thank Him for ALL His
      decisions in regard to us. That isn't easy, but it is terribly valid
      and terribly necessary.

      We thank God- admittedly sometimes with gritted teeth- for all the
      things that did and DIDN'T work out the way we wanted them, for every
      acceptance and every rejection that brought us to be as we find
      ourselves today, in His arms. The jobs we didn't get, the great loves
      which were not reciprocal, the course we flunked, the kids that went
      wrong, the illness that dogs us, the spouse we should never have gone
      out with twice, the unwanted pregnancy, the miscarriage, EVERYTHING
      that has shaped our lives and persons is something we thank God for
      in the Office.

      I mention only the difficult things, because anybody can be thankful
      that the apparently GOOD stuff worked out. I am not saying all the
      bad stuff is God's fault, or that it's our own fault, but ALL of it
      is turned to GOOD by God, and that is worth singing about! All of it!
      If we look back honestly, we can see the hand of His goodness in the
      darkest times, we can see it in NOT having our way, we can see it in
      everything.

      Since the way God turns all to good is a mystery we shall never know
      fully in this life, we cannot adequately say much of anything but
      thanks and praise, the stammered joy of someone who has received a
      really great gift and is astounded at such generosity. Thanks, God.
      And hey, You really DID know what You were doing all along, didn't
      You?

      Truly, truly, God's will *IS* best! And all is mercy and grace!!!

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 19, 2006

          Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Vivian, 92, who went to God yesterday. We had prayed for her after a fall and head injury. Prayers, too, for Joyce, her daughter, Joy, her grand daughter and Joy's husband, Dick, their children and all who mourn Vivian. Elaine, for whom we prayed, has had to have her knee replacement postponed due to a painful case of shingles. Continued prayers for her, her son, Jim, and all their family. Prayers for Anastasia, and for her harried parents. We have prayed for her before, multiple mental illness issues and she has had another severe incident, requiring residential treatment. She also faces some court charges in March and there is need of much prayer. Prayers for the folks in Phoenix, AZ, 123 days without rain and badly needing it. Wildfires can so easily break out in such conditions, to say nothing of other terrible results. B. whom we prayed, does indeed have a malignant tumor behind his eye and it is inoperable. Presently not life-threatening, but he is very much in need of prayers.

          Finally, a bit of HUGE Deo gratias and thanks: Bob, one of our readers, has become a proud first-time grandfather! Walker John was born on Feb. 17 and mother, dad, baby and grandpa are all doing well. Ad multos annos! Many happy years together as family! Lord, help us all as you know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          A final word about the "seven times daily" part. Many regret that they
          cannot do the whole Office. Indeed, few Oblates in the world have
          lives that can easily accommodate that. Start with small steps. Believe me,
          if one just makes a point of recalling Jesus' presence in our hearts
          and souls seven times a day, that is a firm and wondrous beginning!
          Doesn't take long and fits any schedule. Try it and I think you will see
          what I mean, as well as a change in yourself.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18, 2007

            Ann, for whom we prayed, died peacefully at 3AM Saturday. Let us pray for
            her happy death and eternal rest, for her husband, Lou and their children and
            all who mourn her.

            Prayers for a holy Lent for all our eastern Christian friends whose Lent
            begins today. Prayers for Brendan and Basil and the perfect will of God in their
            appointment with the Archbishop.

            Mark, whom we prayed for when he broke his leg is walking well, and his
            college entrance exams we also prayed for went well. Deo gratias! He is a little
            bruised just now because his girlfriend broke up with him, so prayers for
            that, too. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 18, 2008

              Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the folloiwng, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

              Noella, special intention.

              Denise, spinal epidural on Wednesday for recurrent back pain after a fusion 10 years ago.

              Marie, prevented for a time (hopefully temporary, ) for her seven weekly hours in a perpetual adoration program at her parish by multiple health issues. May she return, should God will!

              Karen, 59, survived recurrent bouts of cancers since 1993, now seriously ill with leukemia from the radiation over all those years. Bone marrow transplant will be done, but her age makes her survival rate on 25%. Prayers for her good friend, Geni, who asked.