Holy Rule for Feb. 18

    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 18, 2004
      +PAX

      Prayers of thanksgiving, Nadia, for whom we prayed, has had
      successful neck surgery. Also, thanks be to God I am home after a
      safe and happy trip!! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace!
      Thanks so much! JL

      February 18, June 19, October 19
      Chapter 15: At What Times "Alleluia" Is to Be Said

      From holy Easter until Pentecost without interruption
      let "Alleluia" be said
      both in the Psalms and in the responsories.
      From Pentecost to the beginning of Lent
      let it be said every night
      with the last six Psalms of the Night Office only.
      On every Sunday, however, outside of Lent,
      the canticles, the Morning Office, Prime, Terce, Sext and None
      shall be said with "Alleluia,"
      but Vespers with antiphons.

      The responsories are never to be said with "Alleluia"
      except from Easter to Pentecost.

      REFLECTION

      When I lived in the Byzantine rite for a very happy while, one of the
      things that surprised me was the fact that they still used Alleluia
      in Lent. That sounded strange to my Western ears, but not for long.
      In the West, Alleluia has become virtually nothing but a synonym
      for "Hooray!" In the East, not so. Our Western connection of Alleluia
      as primarily a word of rejoicing reserved for happy times is not
      quite on the mark, with all due apologies to St. Benedict and the
      rest of Western tradition.

      When was the last time you stopped to think that "Amen" really
      meant "So be it"? I do now and then, but usually just parrot the word
      out without a thought. So it is with most people saying
      Alleluia. "Oh, yeah, uh...alleluia...." Alleluia means "Praise the
      Lord." Focus on this and one can readily see why the East still says
      it during Lent.

      Of course, St. Benedict's prescriptions here are a perfect blend of
      change and variety for the Office. They "dress up" the most festive
      times of the years and provide a break from the ordinary. Probably
      what St. Benedict had in mind at the time was that our hearts should
      be so full at Paschaltide that no other words would do: only the
      ineffable stuttering out of "Alleluia!!" would convey our joy. He
      wasn't wrong about that, but saying Alleluia mindlessly misses the
      point.

      So, forgive me, does saying Alleluia only at joyous times. The
      charismatic movement in the 1970's made popular the English
      equivalent of Alleluia: "Praise the Lord!" It was an expression of
      joy and gratitude for whatever God had done for one. Ah, but then
      the "whatever" part of that phrase soon came to be evident! A very
      clever catch phrase evolved for those times when things WEREN'T so
      great, when one had difficulty appreciating what sometimes seems like
      God's decidedly strange sense of humor. On such occasions, they
      said: "Praise the Lord Anyhow!" Now that one is probably closer to
      the real sense of "Alleluia!"

      Our Office and Mass may change in Lent in the Western tradition, but
      our hearts must always and everywhere, in every circumstance,
      say "Alleluia!" and really mean it, really know it.

      Love and prayers and Alleluia!
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 17

        +PAX

        Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, Michael J.’s mother, for whom we prayed, has been sent home from the hospital and her oxygen levels are normal. Continued prayers for her recovery.

        Continued prayers for Michael B., in the hospital with pneumonia and COPD.

        Prayers for Linda, possible thyroid cancer.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Br. Thomas’ sister, 51, who died suddenly and unexpectedly, and for Br. Thomas and all their family and all who mourn her.

        Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much.

        February 18, June 19, October 19
        Chapter 15: At What Times "Alleluia" Is to Be Said

        From holy Easter until Pentecost without interruption
        let "Alleluia" be said
        both in the Psalms and in the responsories.
        From Pentecost to the beginning of Lent
        let it be said every night
        with the last six Psalms of the Night Office only.
        On every Sunday, however, outside of Lent,
        the canticles, the Morning Office, Prime, Terce, Sext and None
        shall be said with "Alleluia,"
        but Vespers with antiphons.

        The responsories are never to be said with "Alleluia"
        except from Easter to Pentecost.

        REFLECTION

        When I lived in the Byzantine rite for a very happy while, one of the
        things that surprised me was the fact that they still used Alleluia
        in Lent. That sounded strange to my Western ears, but not for long.
        In the West, Alleluia has become virtually just a synonym
[...]

        said: "Praise the Lord Anyhow!" So it should be with Alleluia!