Holy Rule for Feb. 11

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Dunstan, cataract and other eye problems, waiting for surgery, for a Mom and her very depressed daughter, with the latter in denial, for Nadia, 5, cyst surgery on neck, and for her worried grandparents, and for the vocation of Aida. Prayers, too, that my FL trip goes according to God's will. If I miss a day or so between now and the 18th, forgive me, please. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. Thanks so much. JL

      February 11, June 12, October 12

      Chapter 9: How Many Psalms Are to Be Said at the Night Office

      In winter time as defined above,
      there is first this verse to be said three times:
      "O Lord, open my lips,
      and my mouth shall declare Your praise."
      To it is added Psalm 3 and the "Glory be to the Father,"
      and after that Psalm 94 to be chanted with an antiphon
      or even chanted simply.
      Let the Ambrosian hymn follow next,
      and then six Psalms with antiphons.
      When these are finished and the verse said,
      let the Abbot give a blessing;
      then, all being seated on the benches,
      let three lessons be read from the book on the lectern
      by the brethren in their turns,
      and after each lesson let a responsory be chanted.
      Two of the responsories are to be said
      without a "Glory be to the Father"
      but after the third lesson
      let the chanter say the "Glory be to the Father,"
      and as soon as he begins it let all rise from their seats
      out of honor and reverence to the Holy Trinity.

      The books to be read at the Night Office
      shall be those of divine authorship,
      of both the Old and the New Testament,
      and also the explanations of them which have been made
      by well known and orthodox Catholic Fathers.

      After these three lessons with their responsories
      let the remaining six Psalms follow,
      to be chanted with "Alleluia."
      After these shall follow the lesson from the Apostle,
      to be recited by heart,
      the verse
      and the petition of the litany, that is "Lord, have mercy on us."
      And so let the Night Office come to an end.

      REFLECTION

      Keeping Vigils is one of the things monastics do and have done from
      time immemorial. Monasteries are structured to make that possible.
      Things that are never easy are at least possible in monasteries
      because everything has been geared toward that end.

      Oblates in the world may sometimes express regret that they cannot
      keep the whole monastic Office, but let me assure you, there are
      Vigils kept by Oblates of which monastics have no clue. Sure, it's
      hard to get up in the dark and say 14 psalms, but monastics need
      never face the harder, lonelier Vigils spent beside a desperately ill
      spouse or child. They need not face the terror of long insomniac
      nights of financial dread and worry, which compounds when one
      realizes that oversleeping might cost one one's job. The vocations in
      which Oblates find themselves often more than compensate for whatever
      ascesis one might find in a cloister!

      But, you see, that is how it ought to be: all the graces we need for
      holiness, for sainthood, are built right into our situations. The
      monk need not long for parenthood, nor the parent for the cloister.
      Each vocation is different and appropriately varied, but every
      vocation carries within it exactly the mercy and the means of grace which
      God knew from all eternity would be most perfect for us.

      Never, ever think that a night spent sleepless for a sick child
      doesn't count as many, many, MANY Vigils! Benedictines live and
      thrive in all manner of environments today, and some of the best of
      them are not in choir in the wee hours, but that matters absolutely
      not at all!

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2005

        Prayers, please, for the repose of the soul of Sister Maurus Allen, OSB, of Sacred Heart Monastery, Cullman, Alabama, who died unexpectedly, and for her family and many Sisters, Oblates and friends who mourn her passing. She died while on a mission of mercy herself: to attend the funeral of Sr. Priscilla's brother in Florida. Prayers for Bradley, almost 9, who had pneumonia earlier this year. Now it may be back and he is fearful of all the tests and tired of being sick. Prayers for his loving aunt and family, too! Prayers, too, for Amy, seeking the mate God wills for her, and for the many similarly lonely singles, that God may choose them exactly the right spouse! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much! JL

[...]

        We must train ourselves with great care to really will whatever God wills
        for us. This is different from merely passive acceptance. This is actually
        wanting whatever God sends out of deep faith that it is tailored flawlessly
        to our best growth in holiness. The best book ever written on this practice,
        in my opinion, is "Abandonment to Divine Providence", by Father Jean-Pierre
        de Caussade, SJ. I heartily recommend it and it is still in print after several
        centuries, a real classic! Great Lenten reading!

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 10, 2007
            Prayers, please, for Tom who needs a job (3 kids, laid off in Nov.,) and has
            an interview coming up. Prayers for Francis, hospice comes to begin their
            work today. He has not been to the Sacraments since 1948, so ardent prayers for
            his return to God and happy death, and for all his family.

            Prayers for chastity for Z., a sexual addict, and for all who suffer from
            sexual addiction. Prayers for all who have inspired us and led us to better
            Christian lives. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All
[...]

            asceticism one might find in a cloister!