Holy Rule for Feb. 5

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Richard Pieczarka, whose uncle, Joe, died, and
      for all Joe's family. Prayers, too, for John Green, recovering from
      his surgery and for Anne, his wife, who is recovering from having
      John home all the time! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.
      Thanks so much! JL

      The eighth degree of humility
      is that a monk do nothing except what is commended
      by the common Rule of the monastery
      and the example of the elders.

      REFLECTION

      I am a much bigger fan of early Sinatra than I am of his later
      career. One of the hits of his closing years, which was also recorded
      by Elvis, was "My Way." It quickly became the defining anthem for
      many in the rather egocentric late 20th century. Actually, though
      both men sang it as an apologia/defense for their lives, by the time
      they got around to recording it, an apology in the more usual sense
      might have been much more in order. Couple these two guys with a
      third, Tony Bennett, in an imaginary trio for another hit, "I've
      Gotta Be Me" and you have the secular rationale of the self in a
      nutshell. I really love Tony Bennett, and I used to own a copy of his
      recording of "I've Gotta Be Me", but now I rather wish he'd passed up
      on that one.

      Both songs take the healthy notion of self and elevate it to a level
      of distortion and falsity. Like any heresy, they erroneously elevate
      a part of truth to being the whole truth and that spells trouble. Our
      selves are wonderful, unique, precious gifts, so are children. Leave
      either unbridled and malformed and you will regret it.

      Humility forms rightly because it is truth. Like the Gospel itself,
      humility is the exact reverse of many a worldly tune. The real,
      objective truth lies in the paradox, in the tension of yes AND no to
      many things which the world would accept unquestioningly as "YES!"

      So, here comes the 8th degree. It's message is that it is most safe
      to assume that doing it one's own way is neither right nor terribly
      bright. We may find that sometimes we are right, but even there, so
      long as the action is morally neutral, the wise course is subjection
      to the common mind. Benedictines swim in schools, it's our nature to
      do so.

      In fact, even doing it someone else's tested, tried and true way
      makes no sense. God calls us to the house and the observance that
      will best suit us. If we have made a mistake in hearing Him, He will
      somehow gets us to transfer (unless we STILL can't hear Him!)
      Otherwise, let things alone.

      We come to a distinct monastery and congregation, to the Rule, to be
      taught, not to teach them. We come to be directed, not to direct, to
      be formed, not to form. If we allow all those things to happen to us
      in humility we quite likely WILL be elements of change for the better
      in the community's history, but that change will be one planned by
      God, not ourselves.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2006
          +PAX

          Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Kenneth, who died in a plane crash. Prayers for all his family and those who mourn him, especially his wife, Char, and Mom, Gail, as well as John, who asked for prayers for him. Prayers for Sandy, whose multiple myeloma has recurred after remission for nearly a year. She felt our prayers surrounding her strongly when we first prayed for her, let us surround her and her family and doctors again. She needs chemo and possibly radiation, too. She particularly asks that we pray she not feel sorry for herself. To her credit, she used much of her time in remission on ministry and good works. Prayers for Rob, beginning prep for colon cancer surgery today and for his wife, family and doctors. May God's hand guide all!

          Prayers for Rev. Carol, one of our readers, on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. May God bless her and keep her safe and fill her with rich graces to bring her congregations for years to come. Lord, Help us all as You and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2007
            +PAX

            Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of three people killed in a
            small airplane crash near New Bedford, Massachusetts, and for all who mourn them.

            Prayers, please, for Sandy, a second stem cell re-implantation of her own
            stem cells on Tuesday for multiple myeloma. She would appreciate continued
            prayers for remission and success of the transplant and assures us all of her
            prayers for us. Scott, whom we prayed the other day after his head injury at
            work has come through surgery all right, but still has not regained
            consciousness. Continued prayers for him, his sister, Sheila, and all their family. Lord,
            help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and

            The eighth degree of humility
            is that a monk do nothing except what is commended
            by the common Rule of the monastery
            and the example of the elders.

            REFLECTION

            I am a much bigger fan of early Sinatra than I am of his later
            career. One of the hits of his closing years, which was also recorded
            by Elvis, was "My Way." It quickly became the defining anthem for
            many in the rather egocentric late 20th century. Actually, though
            both men sang it as an apologia/defense for their lives, by the time
            they got around to recording it, an apology in the more usual sense
            of the term might have been much more in order.

[...]

            In fact, even doing it some other monastery's tested, tried and true way

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2008
              +PAX

              For the spirirtual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

              Dan, for a happy death and eternal rest. He died after a long and difficult illness also for his wife and family.

              Marie who is in her 80s and is suffering from a bad bout of pneumonia.

              Mark who is still battling depression.

              Jim, suffering from S.A.D and is having a tough time.

              Maria, diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and is in hospice.

              Laura, Fr. Paul's Mother, 96 and dying, and for Fr. Paul battling painful sciatica while trying to care for her.

              That as we start Lent this Wednesday that all those seeking God will find peace.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 5

                +PAX

                Prayers for Joshua, intestinal problems and a colonoscopy pending, he is praying that no surgery will be required..

                Prayers for Fr. Mark, OSB, who may be nearing the end of his battle with cancer, for his happy death and for his family, Community and all who will mourn him.

                Prayers for Oblate Mike, his wife, Susan, and all their family. He has aggressive myeloma and is on dialysis, he has been given a few months to live. Prayers for his happy death with all the Sacraments ad the Apostolic Pardon.

                Prayers for Brigitte’s Mom, recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and for all her family.

                The eighth degree of humility
                is that a monk do nothing except what is commended
                by the common Rule of the monastery
                and the example of the elders.

                REFLECTION

                [How many of you can tell I used to be a radio DJ by reading this? And I loved
                it!]

                I am a much bigger fan of early Sinatra than I am of his later
                career. One of the hits of his closing years, which was also recorded
                by Elvis, was "My Way." It quickly became the defining anthem for
                many in the rather egocentric late 20th century.

                Couple these two guys with a third, Tony Bennett, in an imaginary trio
                for another hit, "I've Gotta Be Me" and you have the secular rationale
                of the self in a nutshell. I really love Tony Bennett, and I used to own a
                copy of his recording of "I've Gotta Be Me", but now I rather wish he'd
                passed up on that one.

                Both songs take the healthy notion of self and elevate it to a level
                of distortion and falsity. They erroneously elevate