Jan. 25

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2004

      Prayers, please, for the right job for Paul H., long-term unemployed,
      also for the vocation of Nathan, visiting us to see if he wants to
      join. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. Thanks so much! JL

      Holy Scripture, brethren, cries out to us, saying,
      "Everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled,
      and he who humbles himself shall be exalted" (Luke 14:11).
      In saying this it shows us
      that all exaltation is a kind of pride,
      against which the Prophet proves himself to be on guard
      when he says,
      "Lord, my heart is not exalted,
      nor are mine eyes lifted up;
      neither have I walked in great matters,
      nor in wonders above me."
      But how has he acted?
      "Rather have I been of humble mind
      than exalting myself;
      as a weaned child on its mother's breast,
      so You solace my soul" (Ps. 130:1-2).

      Hence, brethren,
      if we wish to reach the very highest point of humility
      and to arrive speedily at that heavenly exaltation
      to which ascent is made through the humility of this present life,
      we must
      by our ascending actions
      erect the ladder Jacob saw in his dream,
      on which Angels appeared to him descending and ascending.
      By that descent and ascent
      we must surely understand nothing else than this,
      that we descend by self-exaltation and ascend by humility.
      And the ladder thus set up is our life in the would,
      which the Lord raises up to heaven if our heart is humbled.
      For we call our body and soul the sides of the ladder,
      and into these sides our divine vocation has inserted
      the different steps of humility and discipline we must climb.

      REFLECTION

      Today we begin St. Benedict's exhaustive treatment of humility.
      Humility and obedience are so closely linked that it is virtually
      impossible to speak of one without adding the other. Since both are
      essential Benedictine virtues, it is easy to say that there is no
      such thing as a holy Benedictine who has not climbed or is not
      climbing this ladder. I have never known a holy monk who was not
      humble, in fact, it was usually their most outstanding trait.

      A lot of this chapter will grate on modern ears. I will be the first
      to admit that some people need assertiveness training. However, in my
      experience, most of us do not. Most of us manage to be assertive on a
      daily- even hourly- basis without much difficulty. Remember, too,
      that modern psychology is a science which, like all science, is
      limited to observable data.

      Hence, it is not surprising that the generalities of psychology deal
      with relations between people and things. The catch here is that the
      humility St. Benedict speaks of is rooted in relationship of humans
      to God, a sphere in which psychology often finds itself woefully out
      of its element. It can see some things amiss, but not all. It lacks
      the supernatural basis of faith, and this impedes it somewhat in this
      area. Balance, always balance. We will deal here with matters that
      can be assessed best with both faith and science.

      A quickie on the Psalm quote today: "...neither have I walked in
      great matters, nor in matters above me." This is a favorite of
      Brother Patrick Creamer, my mentor. He has learned to do it quite
      well and in just 45 years or so!! (He'd laugh, too!) People can,
      alas, get sucked up by power, even in monasteries. There is very
      little difference from the secular workplace in this regard, which
      should point out to us that something is very wrong with the picture!

      There is another group, in both monastery and world, that is almost
      equally pathetic: the intriguers who think they are really involved
      with moving and shaking the movers and shakers. Sigh. Both of these
      groups are, let us face it, a sorry lot, surely to be pitied, but
      never to be emulated. Hey, what if they gave a power struggle and no
      one came? That's the idea folks! Pay no attention to such things at
      all, other than a bit of heartbreak for the poor losers who have
      missed the Bridegroom and married the Wedding March. No wonder
      they're frustrated!

      I speak as one who has been all too focused at many times on the
      monastic soap opera, its hand-wringing tempests in teacups. About
      many things, even most, we must learn simply not to care, not to
      trouble ourselves with matters too great, even though we may have to
      call them "great" with an inner, rueful chuckle. You will never have
      peace until you learn to leave all that alone, to distrust it for the
      empty and tragic charade that it truly is. And you will never get
      anywhere if you don't have peace. The road to that peace is humility
      and love, both effective vaccinations against the fatal disease of
      power.