Holy Rule for Jan. 6

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2004

      Prayers, please, for the health of Bill, 91 and needing tests, and
      for Mollie, spots on her lungs. God's will is best. All is mercy and
      grace. Thanks so much! JL

      January 6, May 7, September 6
      Prologue

      So we have asked the Lord
      who is to dwell in His tent,
      and we have heard His commands
      to anyone who would dwell there;
      it remains for us to fulfill those duties.

      Therefore we must prepare our hearts and our bodies
      to do battle under the holy obedience of His commands;
      and let us ask God
      that He be pleased to give us the help of His grace
      for anything which our nature finds hardly possible.
      And if we want to escape the pains of hell
      and attain life everlasting,
      then, while there is still time,
      while we are still in the body
      and are able to fulfill all these things
      by the light of this life,
      we must hasten to do now
      what will profit us for eternity.

      REFLECTION

      This is a shameless re-run on the Morning Offering, one of my all-
      time favorite things to write about! Everyone reading this is in
      every morning offering of mine and has been for a long, long time!

      The first section of the Prologue asked us to seek God's blessing
      before doing any work. Today we are asked to prepare our hearts and
      bodies for the struggles ahead and ask God for His help. Both of
      these precepts are quite nicely filled by making the Morning
      Offering. Now I know that is a Roman Catholic prayer, and I also know
      we have (thanks be to God!) many Oblates of other faiths among us.
      Bear with me, please. I think this has applications for everyone.

      The morning offering is considered rather passe in some Roman
      Catholic circles. One actually wonders why, in an age that loves
      computers with tons of memory, hard drives that do all the work for
      us, even more work than our own minds could dream of doing. I have
      9100 names in a data base I built on royal genealogy, a favorite
      hobby. One click and a few seconds will tell me how any two of them
      are related, even up to mind-boggling relationships like eighteenth
      cousin three times removed. It will start at a point like that and
      then list all lesser relationships, until common ancestors are all
      depleted. No way I could EVER do that. The morning offering, however,
      makes computer ability look like shooting fish in a barrel.

      The morning offering is the perfect capstone, cornerstone and
      beginning for a great life of intercessory prayer. It unites the
      poverty of our own lives, prayers, works, joys and sufferings with
      those of Christ, with those of His Mystical Body. It plunges the
      finite smallness of our own actions into sea after sea of infinite
      grace and perfection and, wrapped in that awesome completeness,
      offers them to the Father in the perhaps most perfect personal gift
      we could ever hope for that day, short of martyrdom itself.

      Ever forget to pray during the day? The morning offering makes our
      very heartbeats and breathing prayers, means of grace for ourselves
      and for all. We have offered ALL our works, even the unconscious ones
      of our bodies to God, and we have offered them in union with the most
      perfect sacrifice of Jesus. With a gift tag like that, the Father is
      quite likely to be pleased, indeed. Each time we blink, or eat,
      suffer or rejoice, we link that to Christ on His Cross. None of us
      have enough bytes of memory to really do that (I have forgotten about
      it at least three times while writing this sentence!) The morning
      offering is our "hard drive" it is the program that saves to disk and
      runs automatically.

      Our baptism into the Mystical Body gives us the right to plug into
      that infinite worth. It would be a shame if we missed the
      opportunity. Let me tell you, with complete sincerity, that all the
      works of my entire life couldn't save a flea from drowning in a
      raindrop. No way. Buried within the depths of Christ, however, their
      value becomes literally infinite.

      Ever feel bad that you forgot to pray for some one who asked, or only
      whispered a quick: "Lord, help her."? The morning offering makes our
      life and our prayer an infinite pie, one which can never be sliced
      too thin. Counting huge groups and individuals, I pray every single
      day for literally billions of people and not one of them is short-
      changed at all. That's the marvel of uniting our lives and heart
      daily to Christ. Every slice of the pie gets served on the plate of
      His infinity, every single one. Cloaked in the perfect mercy and
      offering of Jesus, every single act, even the keys I just struck and
      the mouse I just moved are wonderful prayers for all, for everyone
      throughout time. That's not shabby, folks!

      Ever wish that your heart prone to largesse had all the money in the
      world? How generous you would be! But, with the morning offering, you
      have daily more than that. Claim your infinite share and spread it
      around! Name people and groups, sure, but know that God has a memory
      that never quits. You can say: for all people in all time" and it
      WILL count! Heavens, I pray for all Oblates (among lots of other
      groups every day. Not only could I not name them, I don't even know
      them, nor is it possible for ANYONE to know them all throughout time.
      But God does, and it counts!) There is no one reading this for whom I
      have not prayed every single day, many by name, but it doesn't
      matter. God is my hard drive! I have prayed for the next new guest
      who arrives for a first visit for literally years, every single day.
      The morning offering is a very neat method!

      Look, folks, it's a Roman Catholic prayer. I'll give you a version of
      it at the end of this post, but there are many others. I KNOW that
      some of our Oblates from other Churches may have to amend it a bit
      and that's OK, go for what God and your heart allows. I think,
      however, that all Christians could agree on at least these
      essentials. (Someone please correct me here, if I am wrong.) Offer
      all your prayers, works, joys and sufferings in union with those of
      Christ, for the intentions of Christ, for all the Church and its
      leaders, for all people throughout time. Say it any way your heart
      allows, but do at least this much and congratulations: you have just
      thrust your own prayers and works and joys and sufferings into the
      very heart of the Cosmos, into the whole of history itself. You now
      stand beside Christ in HIS perfect work in every age. WOOOOF!

      And, if today is your first morning offering, or your first in some
      time, remember the tradition of praying for Benedictines on Tuesday,
      St. Benedict's special day!

      MORNING OFFERING

      O my Jesus, I offer You this day my prayers, works, joys and
      suffering, for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart and Divine
      Mercy, in union with every sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world
      and with all the prayers, works, joys and sufferings of Your Mystical
      Body throughout time, in reparation for our sins and in thanksgiving
      for all Your benefits. I offer them for the Pope and his intentions,
      all Church leaders, and for the unity of all.

      (Now you can add your own intentions- don't be stingy here, you have
      infinity! I always end my own list with: for everyone and everything
      throughout time, created by Your hands, I offer You my life, in
      holocaust for these and for Your will for them.)

      End with: Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto
      Yours. Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place my trust in You.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2005

        A blessed Epiphany to those who still use this date (my own preference,) the US now always celebrates it on a Sunday.

        Deo gratias, the man with prostate surgery came through just fine. Prayers now for a very complex and delicate situation involving an elderly person receiving substandard care. Professional interventions have thus far not succeeded. That God may enlighten the decision maker to the needs at hand. Prayers for Linda and Rich that their interstate move goes smoothly for all concerned! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia. Thanks so much!

[...]

        Many older Catholics may recall getting monthly leaflets for the Morning Offering at
        Church, maybe some Churches still have them, but they are nowhere
        near as available as they once were. This website puts the leaflets
        on line, along with a simple morning offering, lives of certain
        saints from the month and what the Pope's intentions for that month
        really are. (I have spent most of my life not knowing... Now I try to
        actually use them!)

        here's the URL. Enjoy!

        http://www.apostleship-prayer.org/

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2006

          A blessed Epiphany to those celebrating today. I confess that no other date feels as right to me, but the U.S. practice of celebrating it on a Sunday does mean that more folks are able to join in. Prayers for us all, no matter the calendar!

          There are a lot of prayer requests today, scattered over a wide expanse of my in box. Please forgive me if I miss any and I will probably not be able to acknowledge them all.

          For Kate, whose beloved cat, Butterfly, died yesterday, full of years. Pet lovers will know how such a loss can affect one. Also for the eternal rest and happy death of Kate's Mom, who went to God last year, and for the kind friend who arranged the adoption of the dogs she left behind (and for those who took them,) and provided for Butterfly, too. Prayers for a baby and parents who face a long diagnostic wait about a blood disease. Prayers for Father Ken, pancreatic cancer surgery on Jan. 20. For his doctors, too, that they may be truly the hands God uses for His will. Prayers for a new Oblate novice of our nuns, beginning her study of Blessed Columba Marmion. Prayers for someone leaving on a long journey and sojourn in another place she would much rather not make. May there be many surprises of God's will and love for her there! Prayers of Deo gratias and thanks, Zeny, for whom we prayed, is doing better. Prayers for all couples seeking to adopt, prayers for someone looking to find the right Bible study program that God wants for her. Continued prayers for St. Anselm Abbey and their discernment. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          time, remember to pray for all Benedictines on Tuesdays,
          St. Benedict's special day! Hey, remember to pray for us all EVERY day!
          We need it.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007

            A blessed Epiphany to all who celebrate it on this, the traditional date.
            For us, it will be this Sunday. I miss the old date, but it is nice this year to
            have Epiphany falling right on Russian Christmas, an old favorite of mine
            since my youth.

            Tragically, I learned that Jason, Stephen and Mao, all close friends of
            Bruce, the young man who took his own life for whom we prayed yesterday, also
            took their own lives within the last 4-5 years. prayers for their happy deaths,
            eternal rests and for all who mourn them. I recommend praying for suicides
            daily. I have done so for years and they need our prayers. Prayer alone can
            help them, through prayer we can be with them at that last moment. It is a great
            privilege to pray for people in such need.

            Prayers for Jim, chest pain and central artery blockage. He had stents put
            it the same artery 2 years ago and is going into the hospital on Monday for
            another angiogram. Prayers for Tammy, cancer, apparently wasting quite badly.

            _http://www.apostleship-prayer.org/_ (http://www.apostleship-prayer.org/)