Holy Rule for Sept. 14

    Message 1 of 268 , Sep 13, 2013
      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of my aunt, Margaret Hughes, and for all her family and all who mourn her.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of my mentor, Br. Patrick Creamer, OSB, of St. Leo Abbey, om the anniversary of his death.

      Prayers for the following:

      Toni Marie, 9, having an MRI for migraine-like headaches and she cannot be sedated due to a sinus infection. There is some doubt she will be able to endure the procedure without sedation.

      the Order of the Holy Cross (Episcopalian) on their patronal feast.

      Charlie, a growth on his prostate, and he's going in for more testing.

      Lourdes,  who has unexplained organ failures.

      Dillon, a child diagnosed with spinal meningitis.

      Beckham went home, but still has a catheter and a feeding tube and needs to gain weight. Continued prayers, please.

      Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      The Abbess should always remember what she is
      and what she is called,
      and should know that to whom more is committed,
      from her more is required (Luke 12:48).
      Let her understand also
      what a difficult and arduous task she has undertaken:
      ruling souls and adapting herself to a variety of characters.
      One she must coax, another scold, another persuade,
      according to each one's character and understanding.
      Thus she must adjust and adapt herself to all
      in such a way that she may not only suffer no loss
      in the flock committed to her care,
      but may even rejoice in the increase of a good flock.

      REFLECTION

      When we read these portions of the Holy Rule which deal with the
      Abbot or other officials a very handy suggestion is in order. Read
      them to see what the Abbess (or parent or teacher or boss or yourself!)
      DOES comply with, not what you feel is missed, because no one I have
      ever known in the abbacy or any of those positions of trust and authority
      is perfect enough to fulfill them all at all times.

      Read them with one eye on who the Abbot or boss or parent really is
      as a frail human being, what sort of person he is, and the other eye
      focused on what is demanded of him by the Holy Rule. Chapters such as
      this one will give you a really valuable insight into what those
      officials are wrestling with, a glimpse of how tough it can be to
      tread the very fine line.

      Parents, fear not! I'll bet Mother Teresa of Calcutta couldn't read
      this chapters without cringing a little, maybe even a lot. If your
      eyes are even half open, you will see the areas of failure every time
      you read them. (If, by some odd oversight, you have missed one or
      two, your children are quite likely to point them out to you the next
      time they get mad!!)

      Use those areas as goals to work on, but don't beat yourself up
      on them too badly. Not only does no one ever get there all at once,
      but, frankly, I think very few ever get there all the way period.
      Meanwhile, we struggle and plod.

      Finally, since the majority of us will never be Abbots, read these
      portions of the Rule to see how you measure up. How many of these
      qualities do you have? When one of the things demanded of the Abbess
      is exercised in your regard, how gracefully, even gratefully, do you
      receive it? Authority is a two-way street. Any kid who thinks it ALL
      devolves on parents hasn't read the Commandments past number three.
      There are responsibilities both parties must uphold.

      Change "Abbess" to "Christian" and read again. Then add "Benedictine"
      to "Christian" and re-check that part about "to whom more is
      committed."

      Message 268 of 268 , Dec 26, 2014

        Prayers for Michael LoPiccolo, as he recovers at home from a surgery to correct bleeding. He is still pretty weak, so ardent prayers continued for this man who does so much for us and for the Holy Rule in cyberspace. And prayers for his wife, Genny, who is caring for him.

        Prayers for L., a return to the Church.

        Prayers for James, for his vocation to a monastery he is drawn to join. He is waiting to hear from them and is anxious.

        Deo gratias and continued prayers for Sue, recovering from her surgery. The initial prospects are that the tumor is benign, but awaiting the final biopsy results.