Holy Rule for Sept. 13

    Message 1 of 268 , Sep 12, 2013

      Deo gratias and continued prayers, Beckham's metabolism is improving.

      Prayers for Ann Marie, having a tiring time recovering from her kidney surgery for cancer and waiting for the results of further testing.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much. JL

      In her teaching
      the Abbess should always follow the Apostle's formula:
      "Reprove, entreat, rebuke" (2 Tim. 4:2);
      threatening at one time and coaxing at another
      as the occasion may require,
      showing now the stern countenance of a mistress,
      now the loving affection of a mother.
      That is to say,
      it is the undisciplined and restless
      whom she must reprove rather sharply;
      it is the obedient, meek and patient
      whom she must entreat to advance in virtue;
      while as for the negligent and disdainful,
      these we charge her to rebuke and correct.
      And let her not shut her eyes to the faults of offenders;
      but, since she has the authority,
      let her cut out those faults by the roots
      as soon as they begin to appear,
      remembering the fate of Heli, the priest of Silo (1 Kings 2-4).
      The well-disposed and those of good understanding
      let her correct with verbal admonition the first and second time.
      But bold, hard, proud and disobedient characters
      she should curb at the very beginning of their ill-doing
      by stripes and other bodily punishments,
      knowing that it is written,
      "the fool is not corrected with words" (Prov. 18:2; 29:19),
      and again,
      "Beat your son with the rod,
      and you will deliver his soul from death"(Prov. 23:13-14).

      REFLECTION

      Again, this is for ALL of us, not just Abbots!

      I'll bet that all of us has, at one time or another, had to deal with
      someone whose initial response to virtually everyone was a sharp,
      full-force rebuke. That tends to stun people with its severity, a
      severity which is out of line, or we wouldn't be surprised at all!

      There are three provisions here: "reprove, entreat, rebuke." They
      have the weight of Scripture as well as that of the Holy Rule. All
      three are necessary and, except for the most truly extraordinary
      cases, all three are necessary in that order.

      I think most monastic people who have been listening to God and truly
      examining themselves tend to be gentle. That's fine, but stopping
      permanently at either of the gentle points can win one the disgust of
      a community in a big hurry. We tend to pity weak incompetence for a while,
      then we come to loathe it. The Truth we look at, look for and strive
      to learn absolutely demands that when needed, our authority will have
      teeth, no matter how unpleasant that may be to us.

      To exercise that rebuke factor all the time, or because one really
      gets off on it, is pathetic. To fail it out of reticence
      or distaste is a terrible failure in self-control, self-denial and
      ascesis. We need all three modes in our tool kits. Were that not the
      case, the Holy Spirit would have never bothered to aid both Sts. Paul
      and Benedict in putting them there!

      Message 268 of 268 , Dec 26, 2014

        Prayers for Michael LoPiccolo, as he recovers at home from a surgery to correct bleeding. He is still pretty weak, so ardent prayers continued for this man who does so much for us and for the Holy Rule in cyberspace. And prayers for his wife, Genny, who is caring for him.

        Prayers for L., a return to the Church.

        Prayers for James, for his vocation to a monastery he is drawn to join. He is waiting to hear from them and is anxious.

        Deo gratias and continued prayers for Sue, recovering from her surgery. The initial prospects are that the tumor is benign, but awaiting the final biopsy results.