Holy Rule for Sept. 8

    Message 1 of 270 , Sep 7 1:41 PM

      Chapter 1: On the Kinds of Monks

      It is well known that there are four kinds of monks.
      The first kind are the Cenobites:
      those who live in monasteries
      and serve under a rule and an Abbot.

      The second kind are the Anchorites or Hermits:
      those who,
      no longer in the first fervor of their reformation,
      but after long probation in a monastery,
      having learned by the help of many brethren
      how to fight against the devil,
      go out well armed from the ranks of the community
      to the solitary combat of the desert.
      They are able now,
      with no help save from God,
      to fight single-handed against the vices of the flesh
      and their own evil thoughts.

      The third kind of monks, a detestable kind, are the Sarabaites.
      These, not having been tested,
      as gold in the furnace (Wis. 3:6),
      by any rule or by the lessons of experience,
      are as soft as lead.
      In their works they still keep faith with the world,
      so that their tonsure marks them as liars before God.
      They live in twos or threes, or even singly,
      without a shepherd,
      in their own sheepfolds and not in the Lord's.
      Their law is the desire for self-gratification:
      whatever enters their mind or appeals to them,
      that they call holy;
      what they dislike, they regard as unlawful.

      The fourth kind of monks are those called Gyrovagues.
      These spend their whole lives tramping from province to province,
      staying as guests in different monasteries
      for three or four days at a time.
      Always on the move, with no stability,
      they indulge their own wills
      and succumb to the allurements of gluttony,
      and are in every way worse than the Sarabaites.
      Of the miserable conduct of all such
      it is better to be silent than to speak.

      Passing these over, therefore,
      let us proceed, with God's help,
      to lay down a rule for the strongest kind of monks,the Cenobites.

      REFLECTION:

      I have said before that all four kinds of monastic can quite
      unfortunately (and stubbornly!) exist in all our hearts and usually
      do so! That is very true, but today I would like to focus on the
      latter two unlovelies: the Sarabaites and the Gyrovagues. Telling
      phrases in the
      description of both point very clearly to all of us living in the
      developed Western world,
      whether in cloister or not, and particularly to those of us in the
      U.S., alas. I apologize to any of our international members for
      whom these problems are either non-existent or minimal, but I think
      there is something important to look at here.

      OK, beloveds, take off those terribly clouded lenses of consumerism
      and put on a brand new prescription of reality glasses and read
      carefully again. Check out some of the phrases in question and ask
      your heart deeply and honestly how your Benedictine commitment
      comes into play in these areas. We are used to reading about these
      undesirable monks as the others, let us bravely look at the ways
      they are ourselves.

      Those nasty Sarabaite parts of our hearts and wills "are as soft as
      lead" and "still keep faith with the world" in their works. This
      tragically marks those parts of us as "liars before God." But
      thankfully, God is ALWAYS merciful and we can always keep trying,
      in fact we must keep trying: conversion of manners here! How often
      do we surrender and bend to human respect or status? How often is
      our religion one thing, and the rest of modern life conveniently
      under another umbrella, as if more than one Gospel existed? Do we
      sell out to
      trends or popular opinions too easily? Do we let our counter-
      witness to the bad sense
      of the world be obliterated by embarrassed silence?

      Remember that Scripture speaks of the world in two ways. One sense
      is the good
      world, created by God as good and for the good of all, the creation
      we are bound to love and cherish because God did so first. The
      other is the false world, the one I am writing about here, the one
      which lies to us and leads us astray, the secular values that have
      idols and the self as their gods. Not for nothing did Jesus call
      Satan the father of lies and the prince of this world.

      Ah, and those slimy Gyrovague parts of us, which our holy Father
      Benedict terms "in every way worse than the Sarabaites." Now here
      is a ripe field to harvest some info about our levels of
      consumerism! "They indulge their own wills and succumb to the
      allurements of gluttony." Whoops! I've done them both a time or
      two. How about you? Over consumption of food or material goods, one
      or both can easily attack us all and usually can be relied upon to
      do just that!!

      Out-of-control consumerism is a lie, a false view of reality.
      Jesus, Who is our goal, is the Truth, the complete opposite of
      every falsehood. Ridiculous levels of consumption and self-
      gratification are wrong, not only because they hurt us, but because
      they hurt others, too. They destroy the balance of common good for
      which God created the world to serve all people.

      In the US (and many other Western nations,) the "bargains" which
      tickle our fancy have surely, without a doubt, come at high cost to
      some one else, often in the Third World, often the weakest and
      poorest. They also contribute to the unjust shifting of wealth to
      the top few, since even bargains are sold with profit in mind, lots
      of it, and not for those who work hardest.

      Look, we need a certain amount of goods. Even St. Thomas Aquinas
      said a certain amount of goods were necessary to work out our salvation.
      (Severe  lacks would mean we would, perforce, have to focus on simple
      survival, to work so hard to stay alive that the spirit would be
      decidedly underfed.) But, as Christians and as Benedictines, we
      need goods in moderation, in just and accurate levels which truly
      accord to our state in life. This is by no means an argument
      against ALL possessions, especially not for Oblates in the world.
      It is an attempt to see through the clearer lens of truth, of Jesus,
      of simplicity.

      How many times do we hear simplicity described as "elegant." It
      often is. Real elegance, however, has an intrinsic relation to
      Beauty and Beauty to Truth, and the ultimate standard of Beauty and
      Truth is Christ. The idea behind a simpler lifestyle is NOT
      penance, but a closer approximation of yet another piece of the
      wondrous Divine Puzzle which is our God. Every single time we
      mirror truth, we mirror Christ. it is really that simple!

      Message 270 of 270 , Sep 7 2:10 PM

        +PAX

        Prayers for St. Mary’s Monastery, on this feast of the Birth of Mary, our patronal solemnity. May God fill us with blessings and send us many good vocations and the means to support them. A blessed Birthday of Mary to all!

        Prayers for Matt, taking his nursing assistant exam.

        Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, Daniel is recovering well from his knee replacement. Continued prayers for complete recovery.

        Continued prayers for all in the path of Hurricane Irma, especially for Sr. Maria Isabel’s father and family members in Santo Domingo. Prayers, too, for Sr. Maria Isabel and all her family here who are worried and praying.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Sr. Christine’s father, whose anniversary of death was yesterday, and for Sr. Christine and all his family.

        Prayers for Anna, 50, mother of two handicapped boys, she has a very aggressive ovarian cancer and is seriously ill. Healing prayers for her and prayers for her boys, her elderly parents and her siblings stepping in to help. May God console and strengthen them all.

        Prayers for Louis, having kidney stones removed.

        Prayers for Helen, 70’s, in a serious auto accident and many fractures.

        Prayers for M., that she makes contact with her friends who are concerned about her.

        Prayers for Tony, experiencing a severe drain of trained managers from his stores.  He is no longer young and the strain is rapidly affecting his health.

        Prayers for Vince and his family as their dear dog, Gars, has been diagnosed with stage 5 canine lymphoma. He will be sorely missed.

        Continued prayers for Marion N., still suffering after effects from her procedure.

[...]

        there is something important to look at here. We are used to reading about these undesirable monks as the others, let us bravely look at the ways
        they are ourselves.

        Those nasty Sarabaite parts of our hearts and wills "are as soft as
        lead" and "still keep faith with the world" in their works. This
        tragically marks those parts of us as "liars before God." But
        thankfully, God is ALWAYS merciful and we can always keep trying,
        in fact we must keep trying: conversion of manners here! How often
        do we surrender and bend to human respect or status? How often is
        our religion one thing, and the rest of modern life "conveniently" another?

[...]

        tickle our fancy have often, without a doubt, come at high cost to
        someone else, often in the Third World, often the weakest and
        poorest. They also contribute to the unjust shifting of wealth to
        the top few, since even bargains are sold with profit in mind, lots
        of it, and not for those who work hardest.

        Look, we need a certain amount of goods. Even St. Thomas Aquinas
        said a certain amount of goods were necessary to us. (Severe
        lacks would mean we would, perforce, have to focus on simple
        survival, to work so hard to stay alive that the spirit would be
        decidedly underfed.) But, as Christians and as Benedictines, we
        need goods in moderation, in just and accurate levels which truly
        accord to our state in life. This is by no means an argument
        against ALL possessions, especially not for Oblates in the world.
        It is an attempt to see through the clearer lens of truth, of Jesus,
        of simplicity.

        How many times do we hear simplicity described as "elegant." It
        often is. Real elegance, however, has an intrinsic relation to
        Beauty and Beauty to Truth, and the ultimate standard of Beauty and
        Truth is Christ. Behind a simpler lifestyle is a closer approximation of yet another piece of the wondrous Divine Puzzle which is our God. Every single time we mirror truth, we mirror Christ. it is really that simple!