Nov. 25

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2003

      Prayers, please, for our nuns here, electing their new prioress
      today. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. Thanks so much! JL

      March 26, July 26, November 25
      Chapter 46: On Those Who Fail in Any Other Matters

      When anyone is engaged in any sort of work,
      whether in the kitchen, in the cellar, in a shop,
      in the bakery, in the garden, while working at some craft,
      or in any other place,
      and she commits some fault,
      or breaks something, or loses something,
      or transgresses in any other way whatsoever,
      if she does not come immediately
      before the Abbess and the community
      of her own accord
      to make satisfaction and confess her fault,
      then when it becomes known through another,
      let her be subjected to a more severe correction.

      But if the sin-sickness of the soul is a hidden one,
      let her reveal it only to the Abbess or to a spiritual mother,
      who knows how to cure her own and others' wounds
      without exposing them and making them public.

      REFLECTION

      The Chapter of Faults, wherein monastics confessed public, external
      faults, had become rather silly the way it was practiced before
      Vatican II. I remember, years ago, seeing a glossary list of Latin
      phrases used to describe different faults. As practiced, I'm not sure
      it was the most useful thing in the world at all.

      However, look at the kernel here, important for both monasteries and
      families: communication. What St. Benedict wrote about was not the
      formalized and largely empty ritual that the late 20th century had
      come to know, it was an airing session of sorts. These can be very
      useful. People in any life are often reluctant to open up about what
      bothers them, monastics are often even more so! To provide a
      structured way and time to do so might have given some just the extra
      distance and protection they needed.

      Slights and wrongs and hurts that lie hidden and unexpressed can
      fester into a spreading, malignant growth. Note that the Holy Rule
      bids us never let the sun set on our anger. We have to get the things
      that REALLY bother us out. This hardly means a free for all, that
      would be very contrary to the whole spirit of the Rule, but it does
      mean that genuine differences must be solved in an open and
      respectful and humble way.

      The way for today's community or family may not be to do this all
      together- but then again that might not be all bad, occasionally. At
      any rate and however we do it, St. Benedict asks us to own up to our
      failures and those of others because he knows it is terribly damaging
      not to do so. A important item here is that the all the members must
      feel safe to express themselves. How many kids who were afraid to
      open their mouths to a parent about really serious troubles in their
      relationship are still in therapy years later?

      Whether alone or in a group, when we confess our fault to others, we
      lighten our load. When we honestly and gently tell others that they
      have hurt us or wronged us, we are often surprised to find that they
      were unaware of having done so- no wonder they "keep right on doing
      it!" We can also be wonderfully surprised at the depth of feeling
      with which apologies may be made. Very often the gentle and loving
      exposure of a problem between people gives us remarkable
      opportunities to show our nobler side and to see that side of our
      brothers and sisters.

      The goal of this is peace, so it must never be done for any other
      motive, for anything less than loving. There is the danger that we
      lose track of the important "difference between the virtue of honesty
      and the vice of brutal frankness" as my friend, Fr. Roger used to
      say. This must never become an accepted arena for getting back at one
      another. The whole purpose here is to end strife, not perpetuate it.