Nov. 21

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21 5:52 AM

      A blessed feast of the Presentation of Mary in the Temple to all!
      Traditionally, this feast is very dear to Oblates, so lets us all
      pray today for each other, regardless of whether or not we agree on
      the Marian details. The central concept is Mary's being offered to
      God, just as we were at our Oblation. Hence, the favor this feast
      enjoys in some Churches, because it is looked upon as the time when
      Mary "made her Oblation", so to speak. Bless us all! God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. Thanks so much! JL

      At the hour for the Divine Office,
      as soon as the signal is heard,
      let them abandon whatever they may have in hand
      and hasten with the greatest speed,
      yet with seriousness, so that there is no excuse for levity.
      Let nothing, therefore, be put before the Work of God.

      If at the Night Office
      anyone arrives after the "Glory be to the Father" of Psalm 94 --
      which Psalm for this reason we wish to be said
      very slowly and protractedly --
      let him not stand in his usual place in the choir;
      but let him stand last of all,
      or in a place set aside by the Abbot for such negligent ones
      in order that they may be seen by him and by all.
      He shall remain there until the Work of God has been completed,
      and then do penance by a public satisfaction.
      the reason why we have judged it fitting
      for them so stand in the last place or in a place apart
      is that,
      being seen by all,
      they may amend for very shame.
      For if they remain outside of the oratory,
      there will perhaps be someone who will go back to bed and sleep
      or at least seat himself outside and indulge in idle talk,
      and thus an occasion will be provided for the evil one.
      But let them go inside,
      that they many not lose the whole Office,
      and may amend for the future.

      At the day Hours
      anyone who does not arrive at the Work of God
      until after the verse
      and the "Glory be to the Father" for the first Psalm following it
      shall stand in the last place,
      according to our ruling above.
      Nor shall he presume to join the choir in their chanting
      until he has made satisfaction,
      unless the Abbot should pardon him and give him permission;
      but even then the offender must make satisfaction for his fault.

      First, an aside. The signal to get moving, whatever it may be, is
      usually a bell or something like it. Our modern age looks at any
      request or command we don't like as a time to start negotiations, not
      to obey. We may euphemize this with terms like "dialogue" but the
      bottom line is finding a graceful way to say either "Hell, NO!" or
      considerably less than "Yes!" or "OK, fine!"

      Bells, however, are inexorable and there is no point in arguing with
      them. Their stoic silence will win every time! It is worth
      remembering that, in the old days, the bell was known as the "vox
      Dei," the voice of God. It is further worth recalling that arguing
      with God isn't usually very successful, either!

      There is a gem buried here that gets lost in the wash of
      being late or being on time or kneeling out or not. That treasure
      is: "Let nothing, therefore, be put before the Work of God." (Older
      translations had: "let nothing be preferred to the Work of God." This
      has usually been cited, quite rightly, a a basis for the centrality
      of liturgy in Benedictine life, but that is an incomplete view, one
      which leaves riches beyond telling unmined.The full sense of this
      goes well beyond liturgy.

      For the monastic, EVERYTHING is in some way the work of God. ALL of
      God's will for us becomes a priority. That's what our commitment
      means. Monastic struggle sacralizes every jot and tittle. In one
      sense, there is no small stuff anymore. (That can be a trap for the
      scrupulous if over-applied, so watch out, folks!) The distinction
      between sacred and profane is all but obliterated. Our life is of a
      whole, and that holistic life is most often informed of God's wishes
      for us by obedience.

      That can require tremendous faith and trust in God, but God does
      reward such trust richly beyond our dreams. Contemporary attempts by
      some to reduce all Benedictine obedience to a process of dialogue or
      negotiation, or to make it a communal affair or a consensual one are
      terribly far off the mark. The textual evidence of the Holy Rule, as
      well as historical and traditional evidence simply do not support
      such claims.

      The Rule speaks of dialogue only when one is commanded to do the
      impossible, not the merely unpalatable! Even then, if the superior
      insists, one must trust and obey. Tough saying, but obedience works
      best when it isn't a lot of fun...

      But back to priorities. Surely the Office comes first before lesser
      obediences. Being late because one finished something that could wait
      is a poor excuse, because it shows what is valued most- one's own
      will. On the other hand, when one is tormented with pain that
      perceptive superiors will notice, perhaps being late is the best one
      can do, and that matters, too. We often judge without considering the
      heroism required of some to make even an incomplete effort.