Holy Rule for June 26

    Message 1 of 102 , Jun 25, 2013

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual and bodily health of the following, for all their families and all who take care of them:

      ATV, 84, emergency room heart failiure, and for her children and Paul.

      Dot, COPD, hospitalized with breathing issues and having a heart cath today.

      Genny LoPiccolo, having her pacemaker with third wire and defibrillator put in today, for a safe procedure and speedy recovery and for strengthening of her heart muscle.

      Tim, hospitalized for an infected foot and heart symptoms, too.

      Belinda, has a job interview on Thursday this week and it would be ideal for her. She needs to get out of the place she is currently working in, but has been there for years and is very nervous about this interview.

      A., had reaction to meds and had to come off everything to start something new. Scary time. Drs apt on 1 July but urge to self harm is becoming overwhelming and mood swings are awful.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much.
      JL

      February 25, June 26, October 26
      Chapter 19: On the Manner of Saying the Divine Office

      We believe that the divine presence is everywhere
      and that "the eyes of the Lord
      are looking on the good and the evil in every place" (Prov. 15:3).
      But we should believe this especially without any doubt
      when we are assisting at the Work of God.
      To that end let us be mindful always of the Prophet's words,
      "Serve the Lord in fear" (Ps. 2:11)
      and again "Sing praises wisely" (Ps. 46:8)
      and "In the sight of the Angels I will sing praise to You" (Ps.
      137:1).
      Let us therefore consider how we ought to conduct ourselves
      in sight of the Godhead and of His Angels,
      and let us take part in the psalmody in such a way
      that our mind may be in harmony with our voice.

      REFLECTION

      Students act differently (usually worse, alas...) for a substitute
      teacher. Employees are different when the boss is off for the day.
      These assortments of different behavior are pretty much shot through
      the human condition, though not necessarily always a good idea.

      Sometimes, we conduct ourselves in an artificially nice (or bold)
      manner because we do NOT know with whom we are dealing. Our
      politeness or our shyness or boldness can be terribly false facades.
      Whether our projections are attempts to be cool and with it or
      decidedly cultured and subtle, they can be masks at times.

      The message here is no masks. Know Him in Whose presence and House
      you are. But really KNOW Him. That can take a lifetime of trying on
      and shedding as false different modes of conduct.

      God, like so many things, is very Benedictine in His perfection,
      which stands between the extremes in which we are prone to think of
      Him. If you think God is pretty much like the strictest teacher you
      ever had, who ran a real death camp of a classroom, guess again.
      You're dead wrong.

      On the other hand, neither is God some smiling, spinelessly
      "tolerant" chap Who will put up with any and all behavior with a shrug,
      though I surely hope He has chuckled at some of my earthier moments
      more than once! God has standards and He has shared them with us.

      Both extreme views of God are wrong, not surprisingly! The middle
      perfection of God is His love and His mercy, His Heart which knows the
      demands of justice better than anyone, but always, always tends to
      mercy. Mercy is God's greatest attribute, the perfect function of His
      infinite Love!

      God is Father and Creator and we are always creatures, but we are not
      always children. We have to grow to the adult relationship with God
      that fortunate children eventually share with their parents. (If we
      never got to do this, and many haven't, establishing such honesty
      with God is possibly going to be a bit of a chore... Keep trying!)

      As we grow in our knowledge of God, our behavior around Him (and we
      are ALWAYS "around Him", that's another clear message of the Holy
      Rule!) changes. It becomes more real and more natural. It changes with
      a very clear eye to Whom God is and who we are. It changes from
      knowledge born of love and security.

      A final little word here about the angels. We are in the sight
      of "the Godhead and His angels." Protestant churches which would
      not approve of prayer to saints can find ample Scriptural bases for
      praying to angels! Again and again we see people conversing with
      God's messengers in the Bible. Hence, don't waste 'em! None of us is
      so rich as to afford to ignore friends!

      Let the angels help. Ask them to help you on your road. The briefest
      glance at their Scriptural track record will show one that that is something
      they are very good at! Ditto protection. I pray the angels may guard
      all of you!

      www.stmarysmonastery.org

      Message 102 of 102 , Sep 6, 2013

        Prayers for Dot, 86, COPD, on her birthday.

        Continued prayers for Beckham, surgery to remove bladder blockage was successful, kidney damage remains to be determined.

        Deo gratias, Bone scan for DJ shows cancer is contained in the prostate and he will have surgery Sept 30. Of your kindness please continue to pray that surgery will eradicate all the cancer.

        God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

        January 7, May 8, September 7
        Prologue (concluded)

        And so we are going to establish
        a school for the service of the Lord.
        In founding it we hope to introduce nothing harsh or burdensome.
        But if a certain strictness results from the dictates of equity
        for the amendment of vices or the preservation of charity,
        do not be at once dismayed and fly from the way of salvation,
        whose entrance cannot but be narrow (Matt. 7:14).
        For as we advance in the religious life and in faith,
        our hearts expand
        and we run the way of God's commandments
        with unspeakable sweetness of love (Ps. 118:32).
        Thus, never departing from His school,
        but persevering in the monastery according to His teaching
        until death,
        we may by patience share in the sufferings of Christ (1 Peter 4:13)
        and deserve to have a share also in His kingdom.

        REFLECTION

        "Our hearts expand..." they truly do. Mine has already been
        wonderfully stretched and pulled and enlarged beyond my wildest
        dreams, often with me kicking and screaming every inch of the way. I
        have no doubt that it will grow bigger still, capable of holding
        more, but I know I could not stand that now, it would be too much.
        God works slowly, according to our individual needs. Better than
        anyone, He knows that doing it all at once would reduce us to
        shivering panic.

        The biggest factor that I can see in God's work of heart renovation
        for me has been intercessory prayer. When you renovate a building,
        you have to tear down some walls, a dusty, ugly, painful mess. Ah,
        but the light and air and space that one finds in those new areas
        where walls had stood! In praying for God's people, I learned to love
        them, more prayer equaled more love and so it spiraled upward and
        spirals on!

        The rain for my roots was that work in progress, the expansion of my
        heart. It's not the same as other loves I have known and in no way as
        graphic or immediate or intimate, but oh, it is deep. I am sure it is
        not incompatible with married love, but God seemed to want it so for
        me. True to form, I argued with Him for years about that and still do
        at times.

        When a novice in my twenties, I used to look at two real saints of
        St. Leo Abbey, Brothers David Gormican and Raphael Daly, both now
        gone to God. I am not even sure I thought it had become easier for
        them at the end of their lives, I thought, with the mindlessness so
        easy for me then, that they were just so old they didn't care
        anymore. Wrong!

        My dear friend Ann Chatlos was a FABULOUS cook and she had been at it
        for years. One day I went to see her and we sat talking in her
        kitchen, she was fiddling around, nothing special. Frankly, I didn't
        even notice any activity that would have produced a meal. She finally
        turned around and said to me: "Stay for dinner." I asked when it
        would be ready and she said, "Now." I was floored. While we spoke, a
        pie, chicken and roast potatoes and something else I forget had been
        going on. A full meal with nothing out of cans and a homemade
        dessert, yet it appeared that she had just been chatting.

        That's the nonchalance of Brother David and Brother Raphael. It
        wasn't that they didn't care, it was that things of sanctity had
        become so much second nature to them that many of those around them
        never noticed that dinner was ready. May that nonchalance of sanctity
        come to us all, and may Brothers David and Raphael and Ann, now also
        with God, pray us there.