Holy Rule for June 26

    Message 1 of 104 , Jun 25 6:17 PM
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual and bodily health of the following, for all their families and all who take care of them:

      ATV, 84, emergency room heart failiure, and for her children and Paul.

      Dot, COPD, hospitalized with breathing issues and having a heart cath today.

      Genny LoPiccolo, having her pacemaker with third wire and defibrillator put in today, for a safe procedure and speedy recovery and for strengthening of her heart muscle.

      Tim, hospitalized for an infected foot and heart symptoms, too.

      Belinda, has a job interview on Thursday this week and it would be ideal for her. She needs to get out of the place she is currently working in, but has been there for years and is very nervous about this interview.

      A., had reaction to meds and had to come off everything to start something new. Scary time. Drs apt on 1 July but urge to self harm is becoming overwhelming and mood swings are awful.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much.
      JL

      February 25, June 26, October 26
      Chapter 19: On the Manner of Saying the Divine Office

      We believe that the divine presence is everywhere
      and that "the eyes of the Lord
      are looking on the good and the evil in every place" (Prov. 15:3).
      But we should believe this especially without any doubt
      when we are assisting at the Work of God.
      To that end let us be mindful always of the Prophet's words,
      "Serve the Lord in fear" (Ps. 2:11)
      and again "Sing praises wisely" (Ps. 46:8)
      and "In the sight of the Angels I will sing praise to You" (Ps.
      137:1).
      Let us therefore consider how we ought to conduct ourselves
      in sight of the Godhead and of His Angels,
      and let us take part in the psalmody in such a way
      that our mind may be in harmony with our voice.

      REFLECTION

      Students act differently (usually worse, alas...) for a substitute
      teacher. Employees are different when the boss is off for the day.
      These assortments of different behavior are pretty much shot through
      the human condition, though not necessarily always a good idea.

      Sometimes, we conduct ourselves in an artificially nice (or bold)
      manner because we do NOT know with whom we are dealing. Our
      politeness or our shyness or boldness can be terribly false facades.
      Whether our projections are attempts to be cool and with it or
      decidedly cultured and subtle, they can be masks at times.

      The message here is no masks. Know Him in Whose presence and House
      you are. But really KNOW Him. That can take a lifetime of trying on
      and shedding as false different modes of conduct.

      God, like so many things, is very Benedictine in His perfection,
      which stands between the extremes in which we are prone to think of
      Him. If you think God is pretty much like the strictest teacher you
      ever had, who ran a real death camp of a classroom, guess again.
      You're dead wrong.

      On the other hand, neither is God some smiling, spinelessly
      "tolerant" chap Who will put up with any and all behavior with a shrug,
      though I surely hope He has chuckled at some of my earthier moments
      more than once! God has standards and He has shared them with us.

      Both extreme views of God are wrong, not surprisingly! The middle
      perfection of God is His love and His mercy, His Heart which knows the
      demands of justice better than anyone, but always, always tends to
      mercy. Mercy is God's greatest attribute, the perfect function of His
      infinite Love!

      God is Father and Creator and we are always creatures, but we are not
      always children. We have to grow to the adult relationship with God
      that fortunate children eventually share with their parents. (If we
      never got to do this, and many haven't, establishing such honesty
      with God is possibly going to be a bit of a chore... Keep trying!)

      As we grow in our knowledge of God, our behavior around Him (and we
      are ALWAYS "around Him", that's another clear message of the Holy
      Rule!) changes. It becomes more real and more natural. It changes with
      a very clear eye to Whom God is and who we are. It changes from
      knowledge born of love and security.

      A final little word here about the angels. We are in the sight
      of "the Godhead and His angels." Protestant churches which would
      not approve of prayer to saints can find ample Scriptural bases for
      praying to angels! Again and again we see people conversing with
      God's messengers in the Bible. Hence, don't waste 'em! None of us is
      so rich as to afford to ignore friends!

      Let the angels help. Ask them to help you on your road. The briefest
      glance at their Scriptural track record will show one that that is something
      they are very good at! Ditto protection. I pray the angels may guard
      all of you!

      www.stmarysmonastery.org

      Message 104 of 104 , Jun 2 3:04 PM

        +PAX

        Prayers for the two young men with us this weekend at St. Mary’s Monastery for a Monastic Experience Weekend, may God speak to their hearts and may we all do His will.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Amaro, 64, and for all his family and all who mourn him. Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of Tania, his sister, who predeceased him.

        Prayers for Fr. Karola Meissner,OSB, of Poland, who turned 90 last month. Graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

        Prayers for Erica, having surgery, and for her family.

        Prayers for D., that she returns to the Sacraments.

        Prayers for Nathaniel and his wife and for all the children they teach in their parish’s religious education program.

        Prayers for me, on my birthday. Thanks in advance to all!

        The fifth degree of humility
        is that he hide from his Abbot none of the evil thoughts
        that enter his heart
        or the sins committed in secret,
        but that he humbly confess them.
        The Scripture urges us to this when it says,
        "Reveal your way to the Lord and hope in Him" (Ps. 36:5)
        and again,
        "Confess to the Lord, for He is good,
        for His mercy endures forever" (Ps. 105:1).
        And the Prophet likewise says,
        "My offense I have made known to You,
        and my iniquities I have not covered up.
        I said: 'I will declare against myself my iniquities to the Lord;'
        and 'You forgave the wickedness of my heart'" (Ps. 31:5).

        REFLECTION

        A caution here: the Holy Rule uses the Septuagint version's numbering
        of the Psalms, not the Hebrew. Since most Bibles today use the latter
        system, even many Catholic editions, you might find that the Psalm
        referred to in this passage, which I strongly recommend you read
        through, is 32, not 31.

        Psalm 31 (32) is a wonderful exposition of sin and forgiveness. It
        begins by recounting the joy of one whose sin has been forgiven, then
        proceeds to unfold how concealing sin affects one and confessing sin
        heals one. In v. 3-4, immediately prior to the 5th verse which St.
        Benedict quotes, we find the following: "I kept it secret and my
        frame was wasted. I groaned all the day long for night and day Your
        hand was heavy upon me. Indeed, my strength was dried up as by the
        summer's heat."

        Guilty secrets control us, they rob us of our freedom, they destroy
        our peace. Long before one's frame is wasted (though that, too will
        eventually happen,) one's mind and spirit are trashed, laid low by
        the relentless fear of discovery. We shall have a MUCH harder time
        spiritually, if we try to keep our guilty secrets totally hidden.

        What the guilty one is fleeing is within herself, and
        travels right along with her. Ever see a news clip about a fugitive
        who successfully hid for decades and then was caught? I wonder what
        kind of life they had in the meantime, a life never free, a life that
        always had to fear. This is not what Jesus called us to.

        One may not belong to a tradition which practices sacramental
        confession, but all of us need the abscesses of our secret guilt
        lanced and drained somehow. AA, a spiritual program which can fit
        itself to any religion or no religion, insists that without confession to at
        least one other trustworthy person, our faults are likely to rule us forever.
        Don't spill your beans to just anyone, but don't hold them festering
        within, either! [A heavy PS, too: if you do belong to a Church that
        has sacramental Confession, GO!! Too many put that off at great
        risk and harm to themselves.]

        What keeps us chained to our dirty secrets is lack of faith, lack of
        trust: no one will love me if they know this, not God, not anyone.
        Well, the ending verses of Psalm 31(32) deal quite neatly with this
        falsehood:

        "Many sorrows have the wicked, but those who trust in the Lord,
        loving mercy surrounds them. Rejoice, rejoice in the Lord, exult, you
        just! O come, ring out your joy, all you upright of heart!" (Ps.
        31:10-11)

        Not only does God forgive, but the guilty one now freed is accounted
        as among the just and the upright of heart, without any further ado.
        Now THAT is Divine Mercy! No heart is more full of such infinite
        mercy than the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Trust Him!

        Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place my trust in You. Jesus, meek and
        humble of Heart, make our hearts like unto Yours.