Holy Rule for June 13

    Message 1 of 104 , Jun 12, 2013
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual and bodily health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Anastasia, pregnant, drug and alcohol abuse and mental illness, walked out of rehab. Prayers for her that she not use and that her baby is born healthy and safe and happy.

      Bill, cancer in multiple organs and for his family.

      newborn Robert: Testing indicates that newborn Robert S. may have cystic fibrosis, but the final, definitive test will take place in two weeks. The family asks for prayers that this diagnosis reflects a false positive, or for a miracle. And for his young parents who are devastated.
      Also prayers for successful interviews and a job offer for his dad Shane S for whom prayers were requested a while ago.

      Carl, pancreatic cancer, stage four.

      Mary, who is undergoing treatment , second round of chemo, for Non-Hogdgkins Lymphoma .

      Prayers for the Benedictine Sisters of Virginia, on retreat this week.

      Chapter 10: How the Night Office Is to Be Said in Summer Time

      From Easter until the Calends of November
      let the same number of Psalms be kept as prescribed above;
      but no lessons are to be read from the book,
      on account of the shortness of the nights.
      Instead of those three lessons
      let one lesson from the Old Testament be said by heart
      and followed by a short responsory.
      But all the rest should be done as has been said;
      that is to say that never fewer than twelve Psalms
      should be said at the Night Office,
      not counting Psalm 3 and Psalm 94.

      REFLECTION

      The gentleness of St. Benedict, his considerate thoughtfulness is
      again apparent here. Another principle comes to mind, as well. The
      Office is important, but it revolves WITH us to a certain extent. It
      is the axis our day turns on, but that axis may be shortened by the
      season. There are circumstances under which even the Work of God
      itself changes for us. Was humanity made for the Sabbath, or the
      Sabbath for humanity?

      Put another spin on this and you will find, especially if you are an
      Oblate, that St. Benedict intends at least some aspects of his
      monastic program to adapt themselves to the environment in which the
      monastic lives.

      Don't try to make your kids (or spouse!) understand that you are
      going to be monastic, no matter whether they are or aren't. For one
      thing, if you in any way diminish your primary vocation, like
      marriage or parenthood, you are not going to be monastic at all!
      For another thing, such tactics might drive them even farther from
      the faith you hope to share and instill in them.

      The key to our struggle is obedience and humility, not control of others.
      Our oblation must be done in addition to our sacramental and primary
      vocations, never instead of them.

      Message 104 of 104 , Jun 2

        +PAX

        Prayers for the two young men with us this weekend at St. Mary’s Monastery for a Monastic Experience Weekend, may God speak to their hearts and may we all do His will.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Amaro, 64, and for all his family and all who mourn him. Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of Tania, his sister, who predeceased him.

        Prayers for Fr. Karola Meissner,OSB, of Poland, who turned 90 last month. Graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

        Prayers for Erica, having surgery, and for her family.

        Prayers for D., that she returns to the Sacraments.

        Prayers for Nathaniel and his wife and for all the children they teach in their parish’s religious education program.

        Prayers for me, on my birthday. Thanks in advance to all!

        The fifth degree of humility
        is that he hide from his Abbot none of the evil thoughts
        that enter his heart
        or the sins committed in secret,
        but that he humbly confess them.
        The Scripture urges us to this when it says,
        "Reveal your way to the Lord and hope in Him" (Ps. 36:5)
        and again,
        "Confess to the Lord, for He is good,
        for His mercy endures forever" (Ps. 105:1).
        And the Prophet likewise says,
        "My offense I have made known to You,
        and my iniquities I have not covered up.
        I said: 'I will declare against myself my iniquities to the Lord;'
        and 'You forgave the wickedness of my heart'" (Ps. 31:5).

        REFLECTION

        A caution here: the Holy Rule uses the Septuagint version's numbering
        of the Psalms, not the Hebrew. Since most Bibles today use the latter
        system, even many Catholic editions, you might find that the Psalm
        referred to in this passage, which I strongly recommend you read
        through, is 32, not 31.

        Psalm 31 (32) is a wonderful exposition of sin and forgiveness. It
        begins by recounting the joy of one whose sin has been forgiven, then
        proceeds to unfold how concealing sin affects one and confessing sin
        heals one. In v. 3-4, immediately prior to the 5th verse which St.
        Benedict quotes, we find the following: "I kept it secret and my
        frame was wasted. I groaned all the day long for night and day Your
        hand was heavy upon me. Indeed, my strength was dried up as by the
        summer's heat."

        Guilty secrets control us, they rob us of our freedom, they destroy
        our peace. Long before one's frame is wasted (though that, too will
        eventually happen,) one's mind and spirit are trashed, laid low by
        the relentless fear of discovery. We shall have a MUCH harder time
        spiritually, if we try to keep our guilty secrets totally hidden.

        What the guilty one is fleeing is within herself, and
        travels right along with her. Ever see a news clip about a fugitive
        who successfully hid for decades and then was caught? I wonder what
        kind of life they had in the meantime, a life never free, a life that
        always had to fear. This is not what Jesus called us to.

        One may not belong to a tradition which practices sacramental
        confession, but all of us need the abscesses of our secret guilt
        lanced and drained somehow. AA, a spiritual program which can fit
        itself to any religion or no religion, insists that without confession to at
        least one other trustworthy person, our faults are likely to rule us forever.
        Don't spill your beans to just anyone, but don't hold them festering
        within, either! [A heavy PS, too: if you do belong to a Church that
        has sacramental Confession, GO!! Too many put that off at great
        risk and harm to themselves.]

        What keeps us chained to our dirty secrets is lack of faith, lack of
        trust: no one will love me if they know this, not God, not anyone.
        Well, the ending verses of Psalm 31(32) deal quite neatly with this
        falsehood:

        "Many sorrows have the wicked, but those who trust in the Lord,
        loving mercy surrounds them. Rejoice, rejoice in the Lord, exult, you
        just! O come, ring out your joy, all you upright of heart!" (Ps.
        31:10-11)

        Not only does God forgive, but the guilty one now freed is accounted
        as among the just and the upright of heart, without any further ado.
        Now THAT is Divine Mercy! No heart is more full of such infinite
        mercy than the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Trust Him!

        Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place my trust in You. Jesus, meek and
        humble of Heart, make our hearts like unto Yours.