Holy Rule for May 31

    Message 1 of 143 , May 30, 2013

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Matthew and Susan, on the anniversary of their deaths, and for all their families and all who mourn them

      Forty-six years ago today, I graduated from Tampa Catholic High School.
      Prayers, please for all the teachers and students there who changed my life
      forever for the better. Much of what I give you I received from them. I urge all
      of you to
      pray daily for those who taught you and your classmates and, if this applies,
      for those you've
      taught. It is a practice I love very much.

      Lord, help us all as You know and
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      The second degree of humility
      is that a person love not his own will
      nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
      but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
      "I have come not to do My own will,
      but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
      It is written also,
      "Self-will has its punishment,
      but constraint wins a crown."

      REFLECTION

      On some occasions, I get to look after someone else's pet. I try to
      remember how much it means to me when someone looks after Martina, my cat.
      I know I try to be much more careful than I usually am about many things.
      That pet is someone's treasure and I have been trusted. I don't goof off! I
      take extra care.

      See what I'm getting at? Caring for another's pet done right is an
      example of coming not to do one's own will, but the will of one who
      sent us. Monastic life done right would be looking at the whole of
      our world, life and endeavor as pet care for God. Again and again, from the
      greatest things in life to the smallest, He entrusts us with the care
      of the apples of His eyes.

      That extra care that one would take of a pet or, even more so, a
      child one had been asked to watch, is the attitude we should have to
      everything. This is mindfulness in the highest order. This is what
      happens when the will we are obeying is Someone else's, not our own.
      We take extra care with the things of God because they are His, not
      our own.

      Of course, the ultimate truth is that this step points to the fact
      that NOTHING is really our own, everything is God's. We "own" nothing
      in the absolute sense, that is, with the freedom to dispense or waste
      or expend or destroy it with no responsibility at all for the common
      good. Christians "own" things in stewardship for the good of all.

      It may take all of our lives to realize it fully, but we are ALL
      doing pet care for God, all the time, nothing less and nothing more!
      And God, like a pet owner or parent who entrusts dear ones
      to another, loves our carefulness very much and treasures us deeply!
      How deep is our love for one who cares for someone we love, but
      deeper still, infinitely so, is the love of God in this respect. Ah, the warmth
      of His smile at such times!

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1, 2013
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,