Holy Rule for May 11

    Message 1 of 144 , May 10, 2013
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Michael LoPiccolo, two hour prostate surgery as an outpatient. This surgery can be difficult recovery at home, so prayers for him during and after surgery. Prayers, too, for Genny, his wife, who will be taking care of him, as she is not so well herself.

      Let the Abbess always bear in mind
      that at the dread Judgment of God
      there will be an examination of these two matters:
      her teaching and the obedience of her disciples.
      And let the Abbess be sure
      that any lack of profit
      the master of the house may find in the sheep
      will be laid to the blame of the shepherd.

      On the other hand,
      if the shepherd has bestowed all her pastoral diligence
      on a restless, unruly flock
      and tried every remedy for their unhealthy behavior,
      then she will be acquitted at the Lord's Judgment
      and may say to the Lord with the Prophet:
      "I have not concealed Your justice within my heart;
      Your truth and Your salvation I have declared" (Ps. 39:11).
      "But they have despised and rejected me" (Is. 1:2; Ezech. 20:27).
      And then finally let death itself, irresistible,
      punish those disobedient sheep under her charge.

      REFLECTION

      If you are a parent or a boss or a teacher or a minister, ordained or
      not, please look very carefully at something in this chapter: we will
      be judged on our teaching. The complete obedience of those under our
      care is not entirely up to us, but our teachings are very much in our
      own hands.

      Tremendous harm has been done by people in authority, any authority,
      teaching things that are false to those they serve, whether
      implicitly or explicitly. The guarantee
      that genuine, orthodox teaching carries is lacking.
      The teachings of the Church have a weight of
      tradition and communal reflection and the care of the Holy Spirit
      behind them. Our subjective, personal feelings cannot equal that.

      Orthodoxy, truth, has a very wide embrace. If we know that and
      understand it, we must try to get everyone, one way
      or the other, into that embrace. It can be done. God does, after all,
      will that all people be saved, St. Paul assures us of that.

      On the other hand making extensive alterations that we
      ourselves feel are suitable is not as appropriate as some may deem.
      In a job situation, it could cost both you and the unfortunates who
      believed you the loss of employment. In religious matters, the price
      would be considerably higher, the risk greater.

      Whenever we are in any position to teach by word or example, we must
      be very, very careful that what we give as Gospel is truth, not a thinly
      disguised version of our own current hang-ups. People deserve far
      more than that and so do we!

      Love and prayers,
      Jerome OSB
      http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/