Holy Rule for May 9

    Message 1 of 143 , May 8, 2013

      Praayers, please, for the spiritual and bodily health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Patty - she has gall stones and has been in pain for the last week. While the pain is decreasing, she is scheduled for laparoscopic surgery to remove her gallbladder on Monday May 20th. Certainly prayers for patience during the wait, as well as no flare up of the gallbladder between now and surgery.

      Earl, 71, back surgery and 5 days of recovery.

      Elaine, for success in all aspects of her new job.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will.
      Thanks so much. JL

      January 8, May 9, September 8
      Chapter 1: On the Kinds of Monks

      It is well known that there are four kinds of monks.
      The first kind are the Cenobites:
      those who live in monasteries
      and serve under a rule and an Abbot.

      The second kind are the Anchorites or Hermits:
      those who,
      no longer in the first fervor of their reformation,
      but after long probation in a monastery,
      having learned by the help of many brethren
      how to fight against the devil,
      go out well armed from the ranks of the community
      to the solitary combat of the desert.
      They are able now,
      with no help save from God,
      to fight single-handed against the vices of the flesh
      and their own evil thoughts.

      The third kind of monks, a detestable kind, are the Sarabaites.
      These, not having been tested,
      as gold in the furnace (Wis. 3:6),
      by any rule or by the lessons of experience,
      are as soft as lead.
      In their works they still keep faith with the world,
      so that their tonsure marks them as liars before God.
      They live in twos or threes, or even singly,
      without a shepherd,
      in their own sheepfolds and not in the Lord's.
      Their law is the desire for self-gratification:
      whatever enters their mind or appeals to them,
      that they call holy;
      what they dislike, they regard as unlawful.

      The fourth kind of monks are those called Gyrovagues.
      These spend their whole lives tramping from province to province,
      staying as guests in different monasteries
      for three or four days at a time.
      Always on the move, with no stability,
      they indulge their own wills
      and succumb to the allurements of gluttony,
      and are in every way worse than the Sarabaites.
      Of the miserable conduct of all such
      it is better to be silent than to speak.

      Passing these over, therefore,
      let us proceed, with God's help,
      to lay down a rule for the strongest kind of monks,the Cenobites.

      REFLECTION

      What are the two major things that St. Benedict dislikes about the
      bad types of monk? They have no stability and they follow their own
      wills. Obedience is the essence of monastic struggle, and we will be
      touching on it throughout the Holy Rule. Stability, while getting
      lots of mention, deservedly takes a lesser role in the Rule, even
      though it is taken as a vow by Benedictines, so it might pay to take
      a closer look at stability right at the beginning of our reading of
      the Rule.

      The Desert Fathers said: "Stay in your cell and your cell will teach
      you everything." Real cinch, right? Wrong! Don't picture staying in
      one's cell like a personal day from work, when you sleep as late as
      you like, get dressed at noon (if then!) and decide you can eat for
      the day without leaving the house to go to the store or, for that
      matter, without leaving the couch. That's not what this is about.

      Monastics, whether in the world or in the cloister, could tell you
      that the cell, the home can be paradise, but it can also be hell, a
      furnace of nearly impossible heat. In fact, for many of us, it has
      been both at one time or another, and maybe, just maybe, it isn't
      done switching roles yet! Times of paradise are nice, they can swell
      the heart with gratitude and love, but every spouse, parent, child
      and religious knows that we cannot stay on the mountaintop forever,
      like Peter, we may not pitch tents there.

      The furnace, now there's a fetching little image! But it is
      essential, too. Benedictine life seeks to lead us to God. For every
      single one of us, that means cleaning out a lot of imperfection. We
      may start out eagerly wanting to be like "gold tried in the furnace,
      seven times refined," but it's a safe bet that early on, after a time
      or two in that inferno, we'll be trying to bargain for less, maybe
      four or five times refined at most! It's no debutante's ball in there!

      Hate the furnace/gold imagery? Can't blame you there, especially if
      you live in the North and furnaces are tricky and expensive worries!
      Try a sauna. Still hard, still challenging, still sweats a LOT of
      gunk out. However, make sure you jump in the ice cold water right after
      the sauna, just so you don't think all this stuff is REALLY a spa!

      The fact is, for Benedictines, stability, whether of cloister or
      geography or of heart, is a major piece of the puzzle. It's the
      ability to stick with it, stay in there, keep trying. It is the
      fixedness, not just of place, but of heart and will. It is more than
      just not moving around.

      A consumerist society is fueled by desire, change and variety. Small
      wonder that it encourages us to be always moving, always seeking the
      novel, always distracted: it's profit base depends on that and,
      whatever else may be said, consumerism is a greedy little devil.

      Stability flies in the face of all these falsehoods. It tells us
      that "rut" and routine are two very different things for us. The
      routine, the mundane, the everyday and predictable are precisely the
      arenas in which we must strive and win in the spiritual life.

      Stability teaches us that. Our fleeting hells have heaven within them
      and our Edens can turn into Dead Seas overnight. Stability forces us
      to stick with it, to weather those changes, to know EVERY side of
      life and love and heart and place. No wonder St. Benedict loved it
      so! It is the courage of which monastics are made!

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1, 2013
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,